To flash stock tracer or Not ?

3 minutes ago, iitywygms said:

Looking through your post history I can see that confrontation is something you enjoy.  And using your logic no one should make modifications to a bike to make it better for themselves.  Change windscreen?  Noooo.  Change your riding style.  Put your head closer to the windscreen.  Ass get sore on the seat?  Dont change the seat.  Change your body.  Go ahead and keep on knocking people if it makes you feel good.  I will get the golden ticket because I have gotten it before with a little bit of research and work on my previous bikes.  You might get there someday if you relax a bit and take some advice from us "old school riders" .... Also facts.

Post it when you find it, and thanks for reading all of my post.....it means you care. 

• Supporting Member
14 minutes ago, Toddtr said:

You are slower, possibly fatter and closer to the grave than you think. It holds you back but then you want to blame the bike. Bikes have gotten better, you have gotten worse.....these are facts 

There is no need to be insulting because he wants to modify the bike to his liking. 

The CP3 motor, since its inception has been universally known to have snatchy throttle delivery due to fuel cut and adhering to Euro emission standards.  Regardless of the forum you read, it has been endlessly discussed how bad the fueling is, to insult someone and tell them it is "them and not the bike" is just an asinine and uninformed comment.

You will find the same fueling experience with modern bikes on most motorcycle forums, it is DEFINITELY the bikes not the 10's of thousands of riders, did everyone suddenly become crappy riders?

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
7 minutes ago, Toddtr said:

Then I assume you own the perfect bike and are completely 100% satisfied? I applaud you for accomplishing something that so many never find and never will. It could only mean that you will never sale the bike and no matter what change anything else about it, that’s a unicorn. 

That is correct, the bike is set up perfectly to my needs and wants.  I love modifying my bikes and have been doing it for decades, I cant think of anything I want to change on my bike now.

• Thumbsup 2

3 minutes ago, betoney said:

There is no need to be insulting because he wants to modify the bike to his liking. 

The CP3 motor, since its inception has been universally known to have snatchy throttle delivery due to fuel cut and adhering to Euro emission standards.  Regardless of the forum you read, it has been endlessly discussed how bad the fueling is, to insult someone and tell them it is "them and not the bike" is just an asinine and uninformed comment.

You will find the same fueling experience with modern bikes on most motorcycle forums, it is DEFINITELY the bikes not the 10's of thousands of riders, did everyone suddenly become crappy riders?

You are correct and I apologize. We get better with age, weight gain and becoming slower. It’s proven, how many Olympic athletes are in their 40s now? Also it’s unheard of that the rider could be the problem with the bike, again you are correct......it’s always the bike. Insult? If what I said was taken as an insult then maybe someone needs a pamper change, sorry I upset your happy space. 

13 minutes ago, betoney said:

He is either a troll or lacks the mental capacity to discuss issues without getting angry and insulting if you don't agree.

Ignore him.

1 minute ago, iitywygms said:

He is either a troll or lacks the mental capacity to discuss issues without getting angry and insulting if you don't agree.

Ignore him.

My vote is metal capacity and I’m super angry because no one agrees with me. Wait, wasn’t that two insults from you? Glass houses????

My final word on this excellent thread.

The Tracer is pretty much the perfect bike for me . Only things I am not 100% happy with, are the seat and screen.  I fitted the puig sports screen soon after purchase, not sorted seat yet.  Brakes, suspension,  riding position,  weight,  power, all good,  Oh, not sure about colour choice.

I'm only 73kg, don't take pillions 99.9% of the time. So the soft suspension hasn't been an issue for me. Grab rail is great for Rok strapping down large bags when touring. I really like the stubby exhaust style. 

For me, its a cracker. 👍

Ps  Also like the xsr 900 but it ain't quite as practical as the tracer.  

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 2

• Supporting Member
7 minutes ago, Dodgy Knees said:

Oh, not sure about colour choice.

Some owners have used vinyl wrap or plasti-dip.  Just get creative.👍

• Thumbsup 3

I think you're turning an unfair eye to the changes in motorcycles due to emissions over the years.
Maybe take look at today's automobiles for reference. A 2020 F150 has only a 4" narrower and much longer wheel base than an original Hummer H1. Not because they want to, but because emissions is based upon wheelbase. Heavy 8-10 speed transmissions? Not because it's better, but emissions. Start/stop technology that burns through starters like candy? Emissions. Dropping fuel to cylinders that cause all sorts of issues across all brands, yep emissions.

I really miss mini trucks, you know the ones that got 40 mpg and could haul a full sheet of plywood? Dead due to EPA.

Sure there are some positives that come out of it, like well, less emissions (depends on how the EPA measures it). The high uptake of turbos, but with this comes carbon build up from weeping valve seals, less reliability due to higher possibility of vac leaks, higher engine temps. Then you have electric cars coming up faster, batteries are getting better (although at the expense of mining), but with that comes increasing dependence on dealer only diagnostic software.  We could end up like John Deere did, with no one being able to even swap minor parts without the dealers computer and blessing.

If you really don't believe that emissions are taking a toll on modern motorcycling, I guess that's your right.There are people who believe that Elvis is still a alive and that the earth is flat.  I say live and let live, but when you start personally attacking others, that's where even the most tolerant draw the line.

Not everyone dies a saint, and some need an express lane to get there.

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, kilo3 said:

I think you're turning an unfair eye to the changes in motorcycles due to emissions over the years.
Maybe take look at today's automobiles for reference. A 2020 F150 has only a 4" narrower and much longer wheel base than an original Hummer H1. Not because they want to, but because emissions is based upon wheelbase. Heavy 8-10 speed transmissions? Not because it's better, but emissions. Start/stop technology that burns through starters like candy? Emissions. Dropping fuel to cylinders that cause all sorts of issues across all brands, yep emissions.

I really miss mini trucks, you know the ones that got 40 mpg and could haul a full sheet of plywood? Dead due to EPA.

Sure there are some positives that come out of it, like well, less emissions (depends on how the EPA measures it). The high uptake of turbos, but with this comes carbon build up from weeping valve seals, less reliability due to higher possibility of vac leaks, higher engine temps. Then you have electric cars coming up faster, batteries are getting better (although at the expense of mining), but with that comes increasing dependence on dealer only diagnostic software.  We could end up like John Deere did, with no one being able to even swap minor parts without the dealers computer and blessing.

If you really don't believe that emissions are taking a toll on modern motorcycling, I guess that's your right.There are people who believe that Elvis is still a alive and that the earth is flat.  I say live and let live, but when you start personally attacking others, that's where even the most tolerant draw the line.

Not everyone dies a saint, and some need an express lane to get there.

Correct, emissions have caused all kinds of problems. Now cars, trucks and motorcycles make far more horsepower than ever before and they last longer......sorry but I think after that post you maybe should take the express lane. Tolerant? It’s called triggered and it’s fun to watch. Emissions are killing vehicles, next you are going to say ufo technology is why Elon Musk is so successful. Nothing else can explain it so why not?

2 hours ago, knyte said:

I think Dave Moss has some good words here.

What's the FIRST THING you do when you get in a rental vehicle.  Answer.  Adjust the seat.

What do nearly ALL of us do when we get a new bike?  Answer - get on and ride.

In other words, we ignore ergonomics.  We do try to change our body instead of the bike.  This is the whole mantra of motorcycle tuning and ergonomics.  There is no one size fits all.  Moto manufacturers try - with most configurations somewhere in the middle, to try to appeal to the widest audience.

Again, Dave Moss.  Some people have wide shoulders, some narrow.  Some riders are short, some tall.  We don't all fit the mould of same-same.

Adjust the bike however you wish, so it fits YOU best - so you're comfortable, relaxed, safe.

Dave Moss always seems to have great things to say.

But yeah, there's no perfect motorcycle for anybody, unless you're that magical Average Motorcyclist that bikes are made for.  Everything is set up in as much a "one size fits all" way as possible because of course it is, but that ultimately means "one size fits nobody exactly."

I mean, this is pretty much to be expected for me personally, as I'm never the Average Motorcyclist for any manufacturer, being frankly fairly huge.  Maybe someone much more Average Sized can find motorcycles that happen to be built for them from the factory (but I'm dubious) so may feel that just buying the right bike is the right way to go, but as @betoney said above, what other options are there in this space?  I want a powerful sport touring bike, with: an upright posture, sub 500lbs, around 100+hp but more isn't really necessary, torquey in the low-mid rpm range, with options like electronic cruise, heated gear, easily removable luggage and a good looking tail when it's removed, etc.   There's really no other options, so I buy this and adapt it to fit me, just like I'd have to adapt any other motorcycle to fit me.

Arguing making changes means I should have bought a different bike is just silly, when that "different bike" just doesn't exist.  Particularly when I can make changes that will make it fit me perfectly.  For instance, the grip puppies, the seat slope mod, new suspension components on the way, new sprocket - all minor changes to make the bike fit me a bit better.  

Finally.... Who doesn't like modding their bike?  It's so much better when you're doing stuff to make the bike fit you a bit better, but in my experience people will spend money on farkles just because adding new farkles is fun.  At least this way you're accomplishing a legitimate goal in the process.

• Thumbsup 3

4 hours ago, Toddtr said:

Your old school style can only be matched by going backwards, if that’s what you desire then so be it, it’s your bike. It’s funny how all the older riders have such a hard time with the newer bikes, it’s not the bike it’s you. You are slower, possibly fatter and closer to the grave than you think. It holds you back but then you want to blame the bike. Bikes have gotten better, you have gotten worse.....these are facts 

It may well be the case, but it's not relevant if it is.  We all change over time, and there's no fixing that.  God knows, I'm older, slower, fatter, and definitely closer to the grave, so I'll fix what doesn't suit me on the bike because I can't become younger again.  Maybe I'm taking the bike backwards, but if the end result is me enjoying the bike more, then it was the right move. 

That said, seriously dude, you're just being a dick.  Don't be a dick.

• Thumbsup 3
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, Toddtr said:

Your old school style can only be matched by going backwards, if that’s what you desire then so be it, it’s your bike. It’s funny how all the older riders have such a hard time with the newer bikes, it’s not the bike it’s you. You are slower, possibly fatter and closer to the grave than you think. It holds you back but then you want to blame the bike. Bikes have gotten better, you have gotten worse.....these are facts 

Wow.....no need to be rude and insulting to others just because they think differently than you.

I have owned many bikes over the years.  Even with my first bike I added a fuel controller to improve throttle response and an aftermarket seat because the stock one was not comfortable for me.  The changes I have made to the Tracer, ( windscreen, seat, ECU reflash etc.) are all to make a good bike better for me.  Professional motorcycle racers will request their engineers make changes to the bike to fit their riding style and make them more comfortable on the bike.  This includes things such as fueling, throttle response, suspension, seat placement and even things like how the traction control engages...…….and I am sure they are far better riders than you or I.  

Seems like most of the guys on this forum disagree with your point of view regarding modifications to the bike.  But if you prefer to leave yours exactly as it was from the manufacturer then that is perfectly fine as well.    

• Thumbsup 2

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

• Supporting Member
9 hours ago, Mark Trottier said:

The main reason i was thinking of the flash is find at low speed cruising feels like it surges .Also find the throttle a little jerky.

This motor does not like to cruise below 5,000 rpm. Try to get into a lower gear and get the RPM up there a bit. It may sound a bit busy to you, but that's a characteristic of this engine. Check throttle cable slack etc. Exhaust other possible causes before spending the money... IMO. On earlier bikes (FJ) we could adjust the APS to smooth things out... not sure what options exist on the GT (no access to diagnostic mode). Good luck.

• Thumbsup 2

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif