Wind deflector position

This is how mine was installed, with the reflector raked back at about 10 degrees, although I have seen them completely vertical and also raked forward.   My set-up moved the wind-blast from the bottom of the helmet to the upper part, ideal for what laughably passes for winter around here I'd reckon.

• Thumbsup 1

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Supporting Member
5 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

Or.... should I stop overthinking it and just experiment until it suits 'me'. 😏

That would be my suggestion.  IMHO, the deflector position is like recommending a specific brand windscreen itself, what feels perfect to you might not work at all for the next rider.  There are just too many variables, even with the exact same bike, to have one perfect solution.

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
11 hours ago, wordsmith said:

This is how mine was installed, with the reflector raked back at about 10 degrees, although I have seen them completely vertical and also raked forward.   My set-up moved the wind-blast from the bottom of the helmet to the upper part, ideal for what laughably passes for winter around here I'd reckon.

8 hours ago, betoney said:

That would be my suggestion.  IMHO, the deflector position is like recommending a specific brand windscreen itself, what feels perfect to you might not work at all for the next rider.  There are just too many variables, even with the exact same bike, to have one perfect solution.

Done and done.  Thanks for the responses.  I'm off to do some, not so technical, trial and errors to find my sweet spot. 👍

• Thumbsup 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've just bought a 2019 Tracer 900GT and I'm not getting any buffeting, but the noise in any position is horrendous. Will these fly screens help with noise?

It's that bad I'm on the point of selling and I've only ridden about 50 miles.

Edited by Red1

• Supporting Member

57 minutes ago, Red1 said:

I've just bought a 2019 Tracer 900GT and I'm not getting any buffeting, but the noise in any position is horrendous. Will these fly screens help with noise?

It's that bad I'm on the point of selling and I've only ridden about 50 miles.

Before you give up just yet, wind noise can be introduced or effected by many things.

Helmet fit/style - especially around the neck - i.e. wind getting up under and into the helmet (if a full face type), your height, earplugs (if any) you use and so on.

There are plenty of third party screens that can be installed that will potentially fix or at least reduce your symptoms.

Have a search through this forum on the subject. You're sure to find plenty of good advice.  I certainly have over time.

To address your specific question though - A 'fly screen' can help - with all other things being equal.  From that I mean given my height and seat height adjusted for me plus a third party screen (GIVI 2122) it definately makes a difference.

But the important take out of all this is that it works - For Me.

One last point - don't forget that it is a motorcycle and you will get some noise no matter what.  All part of the great experience that is motorcycling IMHO. 🙂

Hope you find your answer.

Thanks dazzler24, I've had quite a few bikes previously, and just come from an R1250RT as 280kg bikes are a pain to move around. Thought about joining the "Sons of Arthritis" life style but couldn't bring myself to do it.

I've ordered one of the fly screens so will see how things go. 

• Thumbsup 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Supporting Member

I just picked up on of those $22 'Transparent Adjustable Clip On Windshield Extension Air Spoiler Wind Deflector' on eBay from seller  xmmt-store  and it made a huge difference to the stock FJ-09 windshield in it's uppermost position. First time out I had a new helmet on and thought it had to be the helmet because of how much quieter the ride was. I went home put on the old helmet and was pleasantly surprised at the improvement. Had to adjust it a few times to get the angle right but I can't really imagine it getting much better. I'm 5"10 with a 29" inseam and my windshield chasing is over for the FJ-09. If this thing falls apart,(it has a lot of little plastic parts) I think I will replace it with the PUIG version before trying a new windshield. Still getting some buffeting from trucks etc on the highway but everything else is a huge improvement. Thinking of putting some black silicone on the adjusters to hold the parts in place. It took 1100 miles before I could hear the triple over the wind, WOW!

Air Deflector.jpg