Looking at the GT

SKM348

Hey folks, first post.  Currently have a 2019 Vstrom 650 XT.  It's a great bike but more power, cruise, and Yamaha name are catching my attention!  Has anyone tried Grip Puppies and did they reduce vibs.  Are there aftermarket pegs and if so did they minimize/eliminate any bussing for feet?  From what I'm reading the vibs aren't bad but it's different for each rider I suppose.  I've not ridden one yet but will start that process in the Fall.  

I'll assume motor is bulletproof with all if any bugs worked out on the 2020s.  My Strom has surprisingly low-end grunt and the twin is as smooth as they come.  Am hoping the torque pulls from the bottom all the way through but a test drive will confirm that I'm sure.

Thanks!

• Thumbsup 2

I came from a 650 vstrom, which I loved. The Tracer is a vastly better motorcycle in every way, other than offroad.
I haven't experienced any handlebar vibration, and there are loads of aftermarket footpegs, although I only get a mild vibration through the pegs at around 5k rpm.

You will be in for a pleasant surprise when you whack that throttle open. Your brain will need to recalibrate.
Look forward to hearing how your test ride goes.

• Thumbsup 1

I just fitted Grip Puppies, even though the vibration does not bother me.

i can still feel the vibration when I think about it but I see no real difference, the grip puppies give me a more comfortable grip by increasing the diameter of the grips.

Again vibration through pegs if I concentrate on it I can feel it but does not bother me normally.

Edited by Cornersruns

Thanks for quick replies!  I have GPs on my Strom not for vibration but I like the fatter grip (came off of Harley Road King).

You've confirmed what I've suspected that it's really not an issue.  I imagine there will be factory incentives coming as we approach Y/E.  Not sure when the 21s will arrive but I'm sure it'll be delayed.  Suzuki has pushed theirs to Nov/Dec.  

Edited by SKM348

I love mine. Grip puppies, MadStad windscreen, and FJR foot pegs made a noticeable difference. Recently I sent my ECU to Ivan's, and that made a huge difference in low speed throttle sensitivity, fans come on much soon in traffic, etc... I really liked this bike when I bought it, now I LOVE it.

• Thumbsup 1

I had a `19 Vstrom 650 XT, bought it new and sold it after 600 miles.. It a competent bike but I wanted more power. I'm very satisfied with my 900GT. I replaced the footpegs before I even rode it, with FJR cloned copies off Amazon for $10. No buzziness in the footpegs at all. If you can ride one, try it.. 

• Thumbsup 1

• 1 month later...

15 V-Strom 650XT owner here and I've also owned 2 previous first gen 1000 Stroms, the GT is at the top of my list right now as a replacement, especillay since I'm recently spoiled/ruined from having my buds 2016 Multistrada 1200S for a few weeks......I'm addicted to power and speed now. :) The GT clicks many boxes for me, the only other bike in the running is the new 20 1050 Strom XT, but I'm heavily leaning towards the GT.

I have both the grip puppies and larger pegs.

I just like a bigger grip and the Grip Puppies are an easy and economical way to do it, plus you get the added benefit of reduced vibration, which is not really an issue on this bike.

For pegs, I went with the Super Tenre pegs (and blinkers). There are cheaper options if you look around here. Like the grips, vibration wasn't an issue, but I like the feeling of the larger peg.

20190822_155315.thumb.jpg.d70a4f8e1124ef4726567cd4bee7bee3.jpg1972295638_bikeII.thumb.png.8b3323d35f7683515034450fd20defca.png

1 hour ago, Ride365 said:

What adjustments if any were needed to be made for the Super Ten pegs, any adjustment needed for shifter linkage?

I installed S10 pegs on mine.  Had to grind down the width slightly and even still it was not possible to install the return springs.  Not an issue though and they are super comfy!

69CD7F50-C467-49E1-A02A-C6FE878CDA5A.jpeg

67ABCF0E-DB8C-484B-B4B9-92F9E1A5E788.jpeg

• Thumbsup 1