Hand adjuster tool for preload/comp/rebound on front shocks?

Clegg78

Just realized I don't know where my kickstand plate is for the bike...  So I spent 15 minutes designing one quick to print in blue nylon.   Not at all sure how 3D printed parts will work in this situation (putting 500LB on it when sitting on an uneven surface... )   But it worth a try. 

2020-09-13_10-32-13.jpg

For a kickstand plate I have three, usually one in tank bag and one in jacket pocket.  I have used a crushed aluminum can or even a carefully crushed water bottle in a pinch.  Yes it is tough to pack for hot and cold weather.  In late May I left Alabama and rode to South Dakota then down thru eastern Wyoming to Moab Utah.  99 in Moab, next day rode to Rock Springs Wyoming - 350 miles.  It rained 250 of those miles with temps ranging from upper 50s F (that was early in the day) and all the way down to 34.7F going thru a 9,111foot pass - yes it was raining and I had my eagle eye out for snow or sleet.  Had to change my route around Flaming George due to a road closure.  Started the day with 2 T-shirts under my mesh jacket, added light Frog Toggs rain jacket when rain started then a fleece jacket during gas stop.  I was cold but made it thru.  Had to keep jaw clenched to keep teeth from chattering after going thru pass.  I had more long sleeve stuff but it was in duffle bag!  I didn't check weather carefully enough!  Be sure and take comfortable shoes - Always take a pair of running shoes that are light and pack pretty well plus flip flops for KOA showers.  Learned the hard way not to hike in boots in Canyonland in June.  1.6 mile hike (round trip) took water and it wasn't enough, scrambled up some rocks to a lookout and realized i was in real danger of falling back down - only 10 or 12 feet but enough to have broken something.  Was hard and took a lot more effort.  I carry a Garmin inReach mini and a SPOT for areas where cell service is not available.

I pack sidecases full and then have a large waterproof duffle that goes on the rear seat plus a tank bag.  Have lots of pro Canon camera gear but for these trips take a Sony a6000 with a 16-50 and 55-200 lenses.  Keep camera in tank bag, big lens in duffle bag.  Keep iPad in tank bag.  I tent camp 2/3s of the time and stay in KOA cabins the rest of the time so have air mattress, seeping bag and tent.  I've done 5 two week or more trips the last couple of years and have it down pretty well.  Last trip started on my F800GT which broke and then I fixed and traded for a 2020 Tracer GT.  That was tough as I lost a bit of sidecase space and the tank bag.  Here is a pic of my bikes the day I bought the Tracer.  LOL the Tracer has 2 or 3 miles on it at this point and those were from a quick familiarization ride.  Note this is 1,400 miles from home!  The small black bag is my new "tank bag", its a 12" tool bag from WalMart.  I would up strapping it to the top of the yellow bag which worked much better.  I prefer a duffle bag to a top case as the top was is past the rear wheel and makes the foot end lighter.  I have ridden quite quickly on many twisting roads on the BMW fully loaded and intend to do so with the Tracer GT.  MRA windscreen arrived this morning and the Givi XS307 tank bag yesterday so much better prepared now.  

IMG_1846.thumb.jpg.aadcee03deb76dfaca0a63e5dc9c3884.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PhotoAl said:

For a kickstand plate I have three, usually one in tank bag and one in jacket pocket.  I have used a crushed aluminum can or even a carefully crushed water bottle in a pinch.  Yes it is tough to pack for hot and cold weather.  In late May I left Alabama and rode to South Dakota then down thru eastern Wyoming to Moab Utah.  99 in Moab, next day rode to Rock Springs Wyoming - 350 miles.  It rained 250 of those miles with temps ranging from upper 50s F (that was early in the day) and all the way down to 34.7F going thru a 9,111foot pass - yes it was raining and I had my eagle eye out for snow or sleet.  Had to change my route around Flaming George due to a road closure.  Started the day with 2 T-shirts under my mesh jacket, added light Frog Toggs rain jacket when rain started then a fleece jacket during gas stop.  I was cold but made it thru.  Had to keep jaw clenched to keep teeth from chattering after going thru pass.  I had more long sleeve stuff but it was in duffle bag!  I didn't check weather carefully enough!  Be sure and take comfortable shoes - Always take a pair of running shoes that are light and pack pretty well plus flip flops for KOA showers.  Learned the hard way not to hike in boots in Canyonland in June.  1.6 mile hike (round trip) took water and it wasn't enough, scrambled up some rocks to a lookout and realized i was in real danger of falling back down - only 10 or 12 feet but enough to have broken something.  Was hard and took a lot more effort.  I carry a Garmin inReach mini and a SPOT for areas where cell service is not available.

I pack sidecases full and then have a large waterproof duffle that goes on the rear seat plus a tank bag.  Have lots of pro Canon camera gear but for these trips take a Sony a6000 with a 16-50 and 55-200 lenses.  Keep camera in tank bag, big lens in duffle bag.  Keep iPad in tank bag.  I tent camp 2/3s of the time and stay in KOA cabins the rest of the time so have air mattress, seeping bag and tent.  I've done 5 two week or more trips the last couple of years and have it down pretty well.  Last trip started on my F800GT which broke and then I fixed and traded for a 2020 Tracer GT.  That was tough as I lost a bit of sidecase space and the tank bag.  Here is a pic of my bikes the day I bought the Tracer.  LOL the Tracer has 2 or 3 miles on it at this point and those were from a quick familiarization ride.  Note this is 1,400 miles from home!  The small black bag is my new "tank bag", its a 12" tool bag from WalMart.  I would up strapping it to the top of the yellow bag which worked much better.  I prefer a duffle bag to a top case as the top was is past the rear wheel and makes the foot end lighter.  I have ridden quite quickly on many twisting roads on the BMW fully loaded and intend to do so with the Tracer GT.  MRA windscreen arrived this morning and the Givi XS307 tank bag yesterday so much better prepared now.  

Nice! that ride sounds fun!

I also bought my Tracer new, 650 miles from home, and rode it home from the dealer, it is a nice familiarization ride and the engine is broken in by the time you get home.      I had some soft luggage (Motofizz seat bag) and still have some dry sacks (twisted throttle) but in general I want to keep stuff in hard cases.   I like keeping my camera stuff largely in the tail case for easy access.   This will be my first ride with my Sony gear, I used Canon gear in the past.   I don't like large tank bags (I dont like any tank bag, but it is handy to keep small things in and out of the weather).  Once COVID concerns are passed, it will be easy to keep all my camera gear in one side case and all my other gear in the other and leave the tail just for some bulky insulating layers or an empty backpack. 

I've done a bunch of spirited test rides in the last 2 days fully loaded (today with 100% of the gear I will be wearing as well), and I have been impressed with the current loadout how happy the bike is.   The Pirelli Scorpion Trail II tires made a world of difference when the bike is loaded.   I do ride pretty aggressively in canyons and mountain roads, but as this is the first loaded long distance ride on this bike I will probably be a bit reserved. ... also its phucking 2020... if something can go wrong it will.   No need to tempt fate. 

I also have an InReach mini with me, I instruct backpacking in Colorado in the summers and use it quite a bit for that already. 

• Thumbsup 1

This is the final plate I made.   (Yes I already have the larger aluminum foot on the stand, but for soft dirt, with the bike fully loaded it makes me concerned for how that would work out.)   So a quick 2 hr print and its good to go :)  Weird the picture didn't capture the "Tracer" text better, it came out very nice. 

20200913_221210390_iOS.jpg

Edited by Clegg78
  • Thumbsup 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
On 9/12/2020 at 1:41 PM, Clegg78 said:

Hey guys, everyone who sent me an order for one of the tools, they shipped today and should be do you on Tue or Wed it seems.   I am doing a final packing to head out for a 7-8 days on the bike around the southwest on Monday, when I get back I will be working on getting a website up to actually formalize the sales process for these :)

With your eventful last few days, I just wanted to LYK I've not received the fork adjuster tool?