Hand adjuster tool for preload/comp/rebound on front shocks?

Clegg78

11 hours ago, Clegg78 said:

Hey guys,  

So I designed a small tool to adjust the front suspension on the GT, I am not sure if the non GT bikes have the same front shock adjustment design/sizes so I am posting it in here. 

I designed a small 44mm round disk that has a hex on one side for preload, and a slot on the other side to adjust compression/rebound.   Its small and light and seems to work well even 3D printed in PLA as a prototype (but if you carry it on the bike I would assume PETG/ABS/Nylon would be the material you should use for heat stability, I will be printing mine in Glass loaded Nylon).

This lets you tweak preload by hand without much issue on the road, and easily adjust the other settings without getting a screw driver out.   

This a tool people want?   if so I can post it on Thingiverse for folks to print (thingiverse is down right now... ).   Took me like 30 min to design it and I am happy to share it. 

20200903_034955529_iOS.jpg

20200903_035004218_iOS.jpg

20200903_030617542_iOS.jpg

Pretty smart little device you came up with . I like the concept and the small carry on design. Nice!

1 hour ago, GTO MIKE said:

Pretty smart little device you came up with . I like the concept and the small carry on design. Nice!

Thanks!   I am trying to refine my tool setup for riding and being able to design my own tools helps ;)    I have a few more things I am planning on designing for my trip coming up.  One thing I want to really figure out is a better helmet lock system for my Neotec 2...  the ratchet style helmet straps really threw me off on how to handle that effectively. 

15 minutes ago, François Brion said:

Nice and practical design. If you put the link, I'll print it at my job. Thanks a lot for your sharing, that's internet all about, free sourcing.

Yep, I will get it posted once Thingiverse gets back online... seems like its still broken today. 

42 minutes ago, Clegg78 said:

One thing I want to really figure out is a better helmet lock system for my Neotec 2...  the ratchet style helmet straps really threw me off on how to handle that effectively. 

I have one of these for my Schuberth C3, which has a ratchet strap. The metal tongue goes through the ratchet on the strap, then gets locked to your handlebar using the locking carabiner. It may give you ideas for your design.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Oxford-LidLock-Helmet-Lock/dp/B00YBOITQI

• Like 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

Just now, BBB said:

I have one of these for my Schuberth C3, which has a ratchet strap. The metal tongue goes through the ratchet on the strap, then gets locked to your handlebar using the locking carabiner. It may give you ideas for your design.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Oxford-LidLock-Helmet-Lock/dp/B00YBOITQI

Nice!  Yeah I picked up one of these as well (the C3 bars wont work on the Neotec II that I have, but this one below does) 

rs=w:600,h:600

Lidlox Grip tip helmet lock helmet extenders.

Very similar concept and it works, but is still a little cumbersome.   I had a design I was working on that would use an extra key barrel I have for the Yamaha keyed to the ignition that I could lock one part of the strap in (I was working on the ratchet side) but never got it completed.   Its going to be a winter project :) 

• Thumbsup 1

15 hours ago, mikerbiker said:

I like it as something to carry for on-the-road adjustments.  No sharp edges like a flathead screwdriver has.  Could put in a jacket pocket.  Good work!

Yup, that is what my goal was, something light, rounded, and wont mar the top of the shock (if you use the included wrench, or pliers it tears up that aluminum!)   

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

That's brilliant; I'd pack one!

Edited by knyte

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Premium Member

You have a very compact light design and the technology to make it a reality for those of us who are let's say older school, I don't even know what Thingiverse is, this what I use on my front FORKS! LOL 

And again I carry my lid wherever I go and if it's into a bar for a soda I don't drink and ride of course if some Harley guy gives me shit about wearing a brain bucket I can always hit him with it and run

Oh, and as far as compact tool kits, the Little bit to the left is required. 

Anyone know where?

Craftsman 41380 USA

I do

20200904_110913.jpg

20200904_110926.jpg

20200904_111300.jpg

• Thumbsup 2

On 9/2/2020 at 8:55 PM, Clegg78 said:

Hey guys,  

So I designed a small tool to adjust the front suspension on the GT, I am not sure if the non GT bikes have the same front shock adjustment design/sizes so I am posting it in here. 

I designed a small 44mm round disk that has a hex on one side for preload, and a slot on the other side to adjust compression/rebound.   Its small and light and seems to work well even 3D printed in PLA as a prototype (but if you carry it on the bike I would assume PETG/ABS/Nylon would be the material you should use for heat stability, I will be printing mine in Glass loaded Nylon).

This lets you tweak preload by hand without much issue on the road, and easily adjust the other settings without getting a screw driver out.   

This a tool people want?   if so I can post it on Thingiverse for folks to print (thingiverse is down right now... ).   Took me like 30 min to design it and I am happy to share it. 

20200903_030617542_iOS.jpg

Wow, that is awesome!! I would love to have one of those but I don't have a 3d printer. Please put this on Thingiverse so I can save it and add it to my collection of reasons to buy a printer.

• Thumbsup 1