Floppy windscreen

knyte

• Supporting Member

I searched around, and found some posts on this topic, but nothing seemed to match my scenario.

I shamelessly borrowed this photo from elsewhere on this forum, but can shoot pics of my bike if it'd help.

So I have a Madstad touring windscreen; all good.  However, likely due to the mechanical advantage of the taller windscreen, the mount point at the bottom, in between the two headlights, seems to have two little 'fingers' that hook into the honeycomb.  They seem to have popped out on my bike.  I just thought that's how it should be until I recently installed a RAM mount and noticed exactly where the flex originates.

image.png.0b1c793ecb5f78abf44540e0ff337ca0.png

Went for a spin last night, and first bump I hit knocked it loose again, the two fingers just popped right out; the whole assembly is really floppy.  Am I missing something silly ?!?

I had something like this happen on a DL1000 with a tall touring windscreen..the fairing snapped at the thinnest spot in between the headlights...good thing my g/f had some Gorilla Tape!!

Here's the diagram (hope it's ok to snip something from the service manual), but I don't see how to strengthen it up in that area:

image.thumb.png.6cdae2e3d4b45ee5d23313b9e9067c57.png

Edited by knyte
typo(s)

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Premium Member

There shouldn't be any load from the windscreen on panel #2. The windscreen is mounted to a metal sliding bracket that is attached to the steel subframe that also supports the headlights and instrument panel. So I think there are two possibilities:

1. Panels 2, 4, and/or 5 are not assembled correctly or something is broken.

2. Your steel subframe has fractured, causing the whole assembly to move more than it should. 

Hopefully it's not #2! I found that after reinforcing my subframe the entire windshield assembly is considerably stiffer. My 26" Madstad screen barely moves, even when riding into a 25 knot headwind. The key reinforcements seem to be all-thread through the lower fairing stay; a stronger windshield adjuster such as a bicycle QR skewer with backing support; and Z-brackets connecting the windshield adjuster to the all-thread. 

I'll try to find a link to the thread on this subject.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

• Supporting Member

I misspoke; I have the VStream.  No matter, it's still taller and as such the forces against it amplified.

Thanks for that...Those bracket ideas look good and easy enough to fab up.  I may have missed something when I swapped on the factory windscreen a few weeks ago.  Guess I'm tearing it down again!!

Edited by knyte

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Supporting Member

@keithu  Well, it was #2...the welds let go of the upper bar.  Looks like it'd been that way for some time, probably before I bought it.  I just always thought they were a bit wobbly.

That wee little bit of free play translated to about 3 inches or more at the top of the screen.  I'm surprised it didn't completely fall apart.

IMG_0005.jpg

That MIG just paid for itself.  I'm no engineer but I can booger weld with the best of them.  That was a very tight space, no way to run much of a bead.  Turned up the heat high enough that, well, let's just say there's ample penetration.  It'll hold.

IMG_1827.JPG

Thanks for the tip...now for a lap around the ring road...

Edited by knyte
  • Thumbsup 3
  • Like 1

Oof, good thing you’re able to weld it yourself. It probably saved you a lot of money indeed.

I currently have the Vstream Touring screen. I have the Madstad screen lying around, waiting for the missing bolts to arrive (the postal services here take their time....). However, I do fear the 24” Madstad screen might be a bit too tall and heavy and I might end up having the same problem as you have in the future....

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, Michiel900GT said:

Oof, good thing you’re able to weld it yourself. It probably saved you a lot of money indeed.

I currently have the Vstream Touring screen. I have the Madstad screen lying around, waiting for the missing bolts to arrive (the postal services here take their time....). However, I do fear the 24” Madstad screen might be a bit too tall and heavy and I might end up having the same problem as you have in the future....

The V-Stream Touring and Madstad 24" should be very close to the same size. Here's a comparison of the V-Stream Touring and Madstad 26":

2020_0428_14290500.thumb.jpg.64dd5151e5be5bb4da118f05d5a58c77.jpg

With either screen it's a good idea to reinforce your subframe as described in the other thread.

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
6 hours ago, Tango said:

kudos to keithu

Absolutely, that was the key bit of information, for sure.

• Supporting Member
10 hours ago, Michiel900GT said:

It probably saved you a lot of money indeed

I can't imagine what a shop or dealership would have charged.  I'm sure the subframe itself isn't cost prohibitive...but all that labour to tear down pretty much the entire front and possibly the triple tree too...ouch.  Thankfully I had an extra pair of leather gloves to just lay on the headlight assembly to catch the slag; just did it all still attached to the bike.

The exciting part was when the somewhat oily rag I had between the headlights and the fender caught fire...fortunately I don't seem to have Covid nose.

Edited by knyte

• Supporting Member
11 minutes ago, knyte said:

The exciting part was when the somewhat oily rag I had between the headlights and the fender caught fire...

Not sure if I should laugh or cry at that one.  Having done something very similar myself, I’ll just acknowledge your success and move on...

Glad you got it sorted out! 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
Just now, texscottyd said:

Not sure if I should laugh or cry at that one. 

Oh, it's laughable.  Lost count how many times I lit myself on fire in the shop back in the sheet metal apprentice days...not just welding, but grinding too...real life :)

• Thumbsup 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Supporting Member

Update:

After a couple of long-ish rides (one overnight trip to Canmore and back - had a 'spirited' ride back on 1A with some Harleys...let's just say the FJ smoked 'em all), and all is well.  The V-Stream is of course very stable now, and the air blasts just over my helmet...perfect.  No more buffeting at all.

Of course, fix one thing and another crops up...now it's the often-lamented adjustment knobs coming loose...