Centerstand won't raise

I've been puzzling over this for a while now. When I push the tracer off the centerstand it remains down until I bump it just a bit. I've greased the bits where the springs rotate to no avail. It seems to move freely... 

I'm left with the thought that the springs are worn. I've never heard of that, especially on a 2017 bike with just under 15k km. Yamaha want 30€ for both springs and I'm not convinced that that is really the problem. 

Anyone else experienced this? 

7 hours ago, HoosierInBayern said:

Anyone else experienced this? 

Mine was I guess you'd call it starting to get slow on the uptake. I hit the pivot points with white lithium grease. Cleared it right up. I used it a few days and then wiped off the excess. I used a spray on grease with the little red tube. 

• Thumbsup 1

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

As the guys have said above.
I had the same with my vstrom, hit the pivot points with wd40 and a rag first, to clean things up a bit. Then some spray on grease. Work the stand up and down a bit to help it, and you should be good to go.

• Thumbsup 1

Just now, Stew said:

hit the pivot points with wd40 and a rag first

Great idea Stew. Hadn't thought of that. Does get a bit cruddy down there.

Edited by tktplz
  • Haha 1

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

Mystery solved.

I shoved the bike into the sunlight and set up my phone to video pushing off the centerstand. (Of course, the first time it worked correctly!) I noticed that the whole plate on the right side moved forward when coming off the stand. On further examination, I noticed that a small hex bolt (next to the one that goes across under the bike) was loose. Loosen the GIvi protection bars and tightened it. Presto!

I can't for the life of me figure out why it wasn't tight. I probably did it while installing the Givi protective bars. OOPS! Still learning at 64!

• Thumbsup 3
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, HoosierInBayern said:

Mystery solved.

... OOPS! Still learning at 64!

It's a good thing...

You just added a tidbit of knowledge to the collective mind of this forum...

Blue Lives Matter