• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 36 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

K-Tech Suspension upgrade feedback

• Supporting Member

Great write up Stew.  It's amazing the number of times I've read how people are delighted and surprised at the handling difference and 'transformation' of their bikes when good quality supension upgrades are done and setup correctly.

And yes, I too am one of those people.  It really makes soooo much of a difference to the feel of your ride and goes such a long way to shore up your confidence in the machine delivering predictable and stable feedback.

I say this to anyone sitting on the fence about a suspension upgrade, save up your shekels and then - NIKE... just do it!

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
7 hours ago, BBB said:

I’d support @2and3cylinders suggestion of a zip tie. It takes seconds to put on and is pretty cool to see how much your forks dive on strong braking, even if just for peace of mind. I went through a phase of thinking I had reached suspension perfection, just after my upgrades were installed, simply because the contrast is so remarkable. I’m now in the phase of gentle tweaks as I’m used to the bike again and am just exploring if it can be even better. Ah, the curse of restless minds (or boys with toys😁).

After 3 years on the upgraded suspension I am the same way, 99% of the time the settings are perfect but on occasion I will make a small change, sometimes I keep that change and other times I will pull over a few miles later and change it back.

That is why I made an adjustment the other day, it felt wonderful in fast sweepers or aggressive twisties but a bit too firm on the highway, a little bit of a compromise between plush and firm and now both highway and twisties feel nice.  Never be afraid to make a small tweak, you can always change it back if you don't like it. 👍

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, betoney said:

That is why I made an adjustment the other day, it felt wonderful in fast sweepers or aggressive twisties but a bit too firm on the highway, a little bit of a compromise between plush and firm and now both highway and twisties feel nice.  Never be afraid to make a small tweak, you can always change it back if you don't like it. 👍

I think I frustrated K tech USA and my local independent mechanic when I said I ride with loaded saddlebags 60% of the time. I ride smooth twisties and bumpy, straight 2 lane. 

They said that no one suspension could do it all. The mechanic said that the single best thing I could do was drop tire pressure to 32/36 everywhere and plan on 2 different preloads for commuting and aggressive fun rides. 

I just went the budget route with suspension with a K tech Razor light and new springs and fork oil up front as recommended by the mechanic. After listening to my riding, he said anything more would be nicer but not a good value. He argued me down from Race Tech gold valves in the fork. 

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member
4 minutes ago, 1moreroad said:

I think I frustrated K tech USA and my local independent mechanic when I said I ride with loaded saddlebags 60% of the time. I ride smooth twisties and bumpy, straight 2 lane. 

They said that no one suspension could do it all. The mechanic said that the single best thing I could do was drop tire pressure to 32/36 everywhere and plan on 2 different preloads for commuting and aggressive fun rides. 

I just went the budget route with suspension with a K tech Razor light and new springs and fork oil up front.

Very True, when I had my shock built I was talking with the tech at Traxxion Dynamics and told him I wanted "a Porsche in the corners and a Cadillac on the highway" ... after an awkward silence and a chuckle he said "take your pick, you cant have both at the same time".  That's why I carry a screwdriver in my tank bag, easy enough to tweak it a little firmer or softer. 

Your Razor Lite shock  and fork springs are a definite step up from stock. 👍

• Thumbsup 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2020 at 5:29 PM, betoney said:

That's why I carry a screwdriver in my tank bag, easy enough to tweak it a little firmer or softer. 

I remember a v expensive mountain bike from yonks ago had a thumbshifter to do exactly that.   Similar is available on newer CTD (climb trail descend) forks. It allows you to thumb shift between those modes. Wouldn’t that be good ? We could have plush, normal and red mist.

Edited by Tripletrouble
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Tripletrouble said:

Well Stew, we always quoted ‘South of the river‘ ,   but gotta say, ‘other side of the Loch’  kills it. 

You know it. It's a road with some sneaky surprises :)

• Supporting Member
9 minutes ago, Tripletrouble said:

I remember a v expensive mountain bike from yonks ago had a thumbshifter to do exactly that.   Similar is available on newer CTD (climb trail descend) forks. It allows you to thumb shift between those modes. Wouldn’t that be good ? We could have plush, normal and red mist.

That would be awesome.  I would love to have a 'highway' and 'twisty' setting, selectable at the push of a button. 👍

• Supporting Member
12 minutes ago, skipperT said:

There are bikes that do that, sadly not the Tracer. 

-S

I'm not willing to spend an extra $5k for that feature...yet.  For now my screwdriver is paid for and gets the job done. 👍

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2