Aftermarket chain tensioner FAILURE!!

RandyN

On 9/19/2020 at 1:59 PM, RandyN said:

WARNING! Failure!! This adjuster failed!!  Avoid this type and stick with stock. Stock is a hassle to adjust but it can't fail the way these do.

Dayumn, Randy, that is quite the bummer... I feel for you, 'bro!

You are quite accurate in saying the stock setup is a hassle to adjust. It's even more of an ass-pain than my previous Hayabusa, and CBR1100XX Blackbird before that. Unless I am willing to send the major $$$ that a proper Gilles setup would cost, I am sticking with the stock adjusters. The only thing different thing I have done is swap out those ho-hum, questionably-plated adjusters with some god-like, polished Titanium equivalents. And the factory axle nut replaced by a black-anodized Titanium equivalent; all these Ti products are from Pro-Bolt USA: 

TiAdjusters.thumb.jpg.56ce8e061bc2e42fd033045cff44022d.jpg

Does this Ti hardware make finding that perfect 25mm slack easier to obtain? Not really. It's just calm and soothing to wrench on beautiful titanium hardware, vice the plain-jane oem steel. Not everything on a motorcycle has to be justified from an engineering perspective; some things are more emotional in nature.  😃 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Warchild said:

You are quite accurate in saying the stock setup is a hassle to adjust. It's even more of an ass-pain than my previous Hayabusa, and CBR1100XX Blackbird before that. Unless I am willimg to send the major $$$ that a proper Gilles setup would cost, I am sticking with the stock adjusters. The only thing different thing I have done is swap out those ho-hum, questionably-plated adjusters with some god-like, polished Titanium equivalents. And the factory axle nut replaced by a black-anodized Titanium equivalent; all these Ti products are from Pro-Bolt USA: 

Does this Ti hardware make finding that perfect 25mm slack easier to obtain? Not really. It's just calm and soothing to wrench on beautiful titanium hardware, vice the plain-jane oem steel. Not everything on a motorcycle has to be justified from an engineering perspective; some things are more emotional in nature.  😃 

I hear you on not everything being either rational or financial. That titanium stuff is cool! What is the spec or model on that titanium axle nut?

I find I have a very personal relationship with my bikes. I trust that thing to carry me safely through hell and back. When I'm leaned over in a corner at 80 I need to know that every single thing is solid. That't not purely intellectual. I have a saying: Love your machines and they will love you back! 

This means more than normal maintenance. I'm the sort of person who thinks about all the points of possible failure, and it's not from a worried or paranoid perspective. I just relate to my machines. Like they are alive, really. There are things I do for and on my bikes that make me feel better in terms of reliability or safety, even if they are not entirely rational. Nothing too strong ever broke. I live an adventurous life on boats, bikes, kayaks and my own hands and feet. I'm alive today because I play the odds and obsess about little things. 

I plan to play and play and play long after my age says otherwise. Buddha willing. 

• Thumbsup 1

13 minutes ago, Salish900 said:

I hear you on not everything being either rational or financial. That titanium stuff is cool! What is the spec or model on that titanium axle nut?

Hear ya go, mang:

TINUT18150001__98015.1591213156.386.513.

Pro-Bolt know you love your bike, our range of bolts and fasteners...

13 minutes ago, Salish900 said:

I plan to play and play and play long after my age says otherwise. Buddha willing. 

The correct perspective, without question! 👍

• Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
5 minutes ago, Warchild said:

Hear ya go, mang:

TINUT18150001__98015.1591213156.386.513.

Pro-Bolt know you love your bike, our range of bolts and fasteners...

Fair warning:  Visiting the Pro Bolt website can be expensive.  :)   

I found all kinds of stuff that I didn’t know I needed (until suddenly I did need them), including that Ti axle nut.  

• Thumbsup 2

3 hours ago, NormR said:

Randy, So it was the adjuster nut that broke? The nut that you turn to adjust the tension of the chain? 

Yes it was. The one at the very back.

Edited by RandyN

1 hour ago, Warchild said:

You are quite accurate in saying the stock setup is a hassle to adjust. It's even more of an ass-pain than my previous Hayabusa, and CBR1100XX Blackbird before that. Unless I am willing to send the major $$$ that a proper Gilles setup would cost, I am sticking with the stock adjusters. The only thing different thing I have done is swap out those ho-hum, questionably-plated adjusters with some god-like, polished Titanium equivalents. And the factory axle nut replaced by a black-anodized Titanium equivalent; all these Ti products are from Pro-Bolt USA: 

Nice stuff. Do you have part numbers or size to look for? I'm interested.

Just saw your response and went to website. Yes it is expensive. $45 for just the axle nut. Any idea if the axle bolt is available in Titanium?

Edited by RandyN

• Supporting Member
31 minutes ago, RandyN said:

Any idea if the axle bolt is available in Titanium?

Well now you’re just getting greedy!  :)  

I haven’t seen that yet, fortunately.   I bought the Pro Bolt stainless rotor bolts, caliper bolts, and pinch bolt when I did the big brake upgrade, and this Ti axle nut (and a few other things) ‘accidentally’ fell into the online shopping cart as I was on my way to the cashier.   

My exceedingly patient wife, who almost never asks about such things, raised her eyebrows a bit when the AmEx statement appeared:  “You spent how much on bolts??”   

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RandyN said:

Any idea if the axle bolt is available in Titanium?

That I don't know, but if it is available, it will likely make that $45 axle nut look like pocket change. 😲 That would be a hefty amount of Titanium.

38 minutes ago, texscottyd said:

I haven’t seen that yet, fortunately.   I bought the Pro Bolt stainless rotor bolts, caliper bolts, and pinch bolt when I did the big brake upgrade, and this Ti axle nut (and a few other things) ‘accidentally’ fell into the online shopping cart as I was on my way to the cashier.

😆  I can relate.

You probably saw in my "Hardware Re-Use" thread where I installed the gold-anodized Ti carrier bolts, removed from my Hayabusa prior to its trade in: 

awYeah.thumb.jpg.2e2eeea132822268b092431ae7742f2a.jpg

ABSside.thumb.jpg.6129452da7713b8fd2a365a9a3f09533.jpg

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, texscottyd said:

My exceedingly patient wife, who almost never asks about such things, raised her eyebrows a bit when the AmEx statement appeared:  “You spent how much on bolts??”   

Probably not something I could justify. Mostly dreaming.

• Like 1

Anyone here now how the titanium axle nut compares in strength or properties to the OEM steel? I'm thinking Ti is stronger but more brittle? Does it matter at all? Any metallurgists here? 

Update: Trying to answer my own question and found that titanium is not as strong as high tensile steel above 8.8 but is stronger than mild steel. So the question is what sort of steel that OEM nut is made out of? 

http://faqload.com/faqs/bicycle-components/bolt-tuning-replacing-heavy-steel-bolts-with-titanium-aluminum-and-carbon-fiber#:~:text=Titanium bolts come closest to,for high tensile steel bolts.

I am not a metallurgist by any stretch, but I do notice that this article focuses on bolts. This discussion is about an axle nut, which is obviously different, though it is possible be that some of the concerns discussed in that bicycle article still pertain.

That said, I ran a very similar Titanium axle nut from Pro-Bolt on my Hayabusa for well over 100,000 miles - representing many tire changes - and never had the first hint of any issue. The axle itself was the OEM steel axle, just like the setup on my Tracer. So I am not terribly concerned about tempting Fate here. 😁

• Premium Member

The Gilles adjuster isn't terribly expensive, $101 here:

This is way cheaper than the Lightech adjusters, and it can't fail in the way that Lightech and the various Chinesium knockoffs are prone to do. The Gilles adjuster is quality kit, and easy to adjust. All I'm lacking now is that fancy titanium axle nut. 😁 

• Premium Member
47 minutes ago, Warchild said:

That said, I ran a very similar Titanium axle nut from Pro-Bolt on my Hayabusa for well over 100,000 miles - representing many tire changes - and never had the first hint of any issue. The axle itself was the OEM steel axle, just like the setup on my Tracer. So I am not terribly concerned about tempting Fate here. 😁

No sign of corrosion on the axle? Titanium is more anodic than any of the alloys typically used in an axle, so galvanic corrosion of the axle might occur.