2020 GT - Black & Red - Finish care?

• Supporting Member
16 minutes ago, PhotoAl said:

Yup that's cheap, right?  Actually it was sarcasm.  I used to buy the stuff for $8 or $9 a can back in the "good ole days"

Typically cause it really is quite expensive I just use it on my visor.  Occasionally on the windscreen and helmet.  On a long trip its good to keep visor clean but helmet and windscreen get loaded with bugs - an all day ride in the rain usually washes them off.  I keep a small can in my tank bag.  

For almost a third of the cost, you could give Maxima SC1 a try.  I use it on my wind screen, face shield and helmet as well.  Obvious not for a matte or satin finish though.

maxima_sc1_clear_coat.jpg

"New bike in a can" shines, protects and even smells great!

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I'm in the UK. As said, bugs on the screen or body panels, lights etc. come off with plain water. I lay wetted paper towels over the area, leave for a bit then remove and dispose. This softens the splats which are then easier to gently rub off. There's always one or two stubborn critters though which persist and require repeated applications or possibly a mild cleaning fluid in the worst cases.

Here's an example of one such which does the job:

I have a 2020 red and black Tracer 900 GT (which strangely, Yam call "black"). The red areas are gloss and so any decent wax type car polish works fine. For the black matte areas I use this, a specially designed matte "polish". The advice from makers is never to use normal gloss polishes on matte finishes.

S100 Matt Wax Spray - 250ml from the UK's leading online bike store. Free...

Edited by Anon E Mouse
  • Thumbsup 1

Soon hope to be new owner, and I too am worried about how easily "in particular" the side case tops will so easily mark/scratch. The bike on the dealer floor has unfortunately a few shoe scuff marks on the bags from those who don't know how to mount and dismount a bike properly. I was wondering about some of the vinyl protective film out there for the tops of bags, that potentially makes a lot of sense IMHO. I'd prefer a new bike from the crate, but I'd take a new floor model with a bigger discount.