2020 GT - Black & Red - Finish care?

Howdy all

So, my 2019 GT was written off a few weeks ago.

I'm looking to replace it and trying to decide if I like the 2020 black & red model.

The one thing I am concerned about is the finish on the tank, fender and front fairing (around the headlights) as it has what appears to be a satin finish.

Can anyone who owns one of these models let me know if it's a pain to keep clean and how they do so? Does the finish mar or scratch easily? It looks like it might be pretty finicky. Especially trying to get bugs off etc. 

I'm not interested in the full matte blue version.

I may wait until we see what the 2021 models look like first, but I could likely get a deal on a black and red 2020 at this stage.

Thanks in advance!

Rob

I just use window cleaner. That's all it takes.
I even managed to drop my bike while stationary on a gravel road (long story) and the mat plastic held up much better than the copper gloss.

5 minutes ago, kilo3 said:

I just use window cleaner. That's all it takes.
I even managed to drop my bike while stationary on a gravel road (long story) and the mat plastic held up much better than the copper gloss.

Thanks @kilo3

I haven't looked at one closely in person, but is the finish matte like the blue 2020 GT? It doesn't appear to have any clear coat on it.

Rob

Went with the Dr Beasley matte paint deal. They sell a smaller quantity “motorcycle” kit. 

Doesn’t bead water like the ceramic coating I had on my “gloss” bike, but is pretty easy to apply. 

Getting ready to throw another coat on for winter.

I de-bug mainly w/plain water on a Costco micro fiber.

Hope this helps.

• Thumbsup 2

21 minutes ago, rlambke19 said:

Thanks @kilo3

I haven't looked at one closely in person, but is the finish matte like the blue 2020 GT? It doesn't appear to have any clear coat on it.

Rob

It's a single stage paint so no clear.

• Thumbsup 1

6 minutes ago, thewrenchbender said:

Went with the Dr Beasley matte paint deal. They sell a smaller quantity “motorcycle” kit. 

Doesn’t bead water like the ceramic coating I had on my “gloss” bike, but is pretty easy to apply. 

Getting ready to throw another coat on for winter.

I de-bug mainly w/plain water on a Costco micro fiber.

Hope this helps.

It's amazing what some plain old warm/hot water sprayed through a mister can do. I sometime wonder how much hoodoo-voodoo black magic is really in chemical cleaners. It's likely mostly water anyways.

With this method do you find the finish marks up or swirls easily? I'm asking as clear coat finishes these days are so delicate that it seems the lightest touch ends up create a mark/swirl.

Yes, I do think about this stuff too much. I just know what irks me. 😉

I’m only 3 months 4021 miles in. 

Am seeing some very very fine lines on my acrylic windshield (typical for me) if the sun is just right. No swirlies, only rub straight lines on windscreens (see below).

Front fender, hand guards, tank “side” panels, tank, lids on the panniers seem to be hanging in there “cleaning” scratch-free.

Is one spot on one of the handguards that I think is a light debris “mar”.

I just use regular spray detailer/synthetic “wax” on the copper/red panels.

I’ve been cleaning bug guts off of airplanes for going on 38 years. Longer you leave them on, the harder they are to remove/more likely to eat into the paint. Ya don’t rub in circles on plane windows/straight lines only-otherwise you can get halos at night.

The Beasley’s product does water-spot some, but I’ve yet to use the “detailer” or “cleaner”-have gotten everything off w/water. Used it on all the matte plastic also. Maybe could have held up a little better on the natural matte portion of the bags...seems to be fine on the nose/headlight bucket finish. 

• Thumbsup 1

2 minutes ago, thewrenchbender said:

I’m only 3 months 4021 miles in. 

Am seeing some very very fine lines on my acrylic windshield (typical for me) if the sun is just right. No swirlies, only rub straight lines on windscreens (see below).

Front fender, hand guards, tank “side” panels, tank, lids on the panniers seem to be hanging in there “cleaning” scratch-free.

Is one spot on one of the handguards that I think is a light debris “mar”.

I just use regular spray detailer/synthetic “wax” on the copper/red panels.

I’ve been cleaning bug guts off of airplanes for going on 38 years. Longer you leave them on, the harder they are to remove/more likely to eat into the paint. Ya don’t rub in circles on plane windows/straight lines only-otherwise you can get halos at night.

The Beasley’s product does water-spot some, but I’ve yet to use the “detailer” or “cleaner”-have gotten everything off w/water. Used it on all the matte plastic also. Maybe could have held up a little better on the natural matte portion of the bags...seems to be fine on the nose/headlight bucket finish. 

Thanks @thewrenchbender!

This is great info. I usually clean off any bugs etc. when I get home from a ride, as you said the longer they sit on there, the harder they are to get off. I often just fill a mister bottle with warm water and that alone gets them to come off.

Cheers

Rob

You’re welcome.

With all the matte finishes out there, I was very surprised that there aren’t more “visible”products/info available.

Was a couple months ago, but I think I had read that Beasley’s kits were standard equipment back when Hyundai released their matte Veloster.

Not trying to “sell” anything-just was about the only info on anyone’s “system” that I was able to find...

Regards;

Mark

I  bought some Chemical Guys matte finish spray off Amazon and it works fine but found that Maguire's Detail spay works great for cleaning and taking off bugs which seem to like to stick to the matte finish. It also works great on the wind screen and have done multiple cleanings with no scratching and is nice and clear!

MIKE 

For the windscreen use the cheap stuff - Plexus and on my helmet visor.  Need to look into the Beasley's stuff some time.  Have some of the Chemical Guys stuff from Amazon (Meticulous Matte Cleaner and Detailer) seems like it works well but my bike is only one month old and 2,500 miles. One of the pannier lids has some scratches on it - swapped out that for a free first service.  Will probably paint over the winter.  Plan on using the satin finish SprayMax 2K clear on top of OEM black.  The non-lid parts of the panniers have some scuff marks on them from boots and the duffle bag that goes on top.  My experience with panniers is they get scratches on them - I do a lot of long trips where i tent camp 2/3s of the time so lots of loading and unloading.  My BMW F800GT was a matte grey and that held up really well - it was getting close to 4 years old when I traded it for the Tracer GT.  

• Supporting Member
57 minutes ago, PhotoAl said:

For the windscreen use the cheap stuff - Plexus and on my helmet visor.

Where are you finding Plexus for "cheap"?  The small 7oz can is $22 and the standard 13oz can is $28 at Cycle Gear.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Yup that's cheap, right?  Actually it was sarcasm.  I used to buy the stuff for $8 or $9 a can back in the "good ole days"

Typically cause it really is quite expensive I just use it on my visor.  Occasionally on the windscreen and helmet.  On a long trip its good to keep visor clean but helmet and windscreen get loaded with bugs - an all day ride in the rain usually washes them off.  I keep a small can in my tank bag.