Riding Near Zion

Dm23

Going to be in Zion for 2 nights and one full day next week. Wondering if anyone in the area has any riding suggestions. We want to see the sights but also want to get some good riding in. Have a few routes planned but just from looking at maps. No idea what shape the roads are in or if they are packed with tourists driving 13mph. 

Thanks!

Edited by Dm23
Add

• Supporting Member
57 minutes ago, Dm23 said:

Going to be in Zion for 2 nights and one full day next week. Wondering if anyone in the area has any riding suggestions. We want to see the sights but also want to get some good riding in. Have a few routes planned but just from looking at maps. No idea what shape the roads are in or if they are packed with tourists driving 13mph. 

Thanks!

This is the route we took last year.  UT12 through Bryce and Escalante is pretty much a 'must ride' route while in Utah but UT14 through Dixie NF is very nice as well. 

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member

Agree with @betoney.  Double check for gravel before setting out - lots of roads between towns are unpaved.  They're navigable in a car, but the FJ is not the right bike to really enjoy those roads.

Have fun!  UT12 is one of the best roads in the country.

Yes, ride UT12. If you continue on 12 to Torrey and turn East on UT24, the scenery turns otherworldly. It's like riding on the moon between Fruita and Hanksville. 

143 through Brian Head and Panguitch Lake is also nice, and Cedar Breaks is right there too. It's like a mini Bryce Canyon. 

If you like good food, the Thunderbird Cafe in Mount Carmel Junction is good (the "ho-made" pies are awesome). Off of UT12 in Boulder is the Burr Trail Grill (also has great pie).

Awesome! Thank you all for the info. Much appreciated. I'm so pumped. I don't know how Im gonna make it through the next few days of work. 

• Like 1

Depending on your time schedule, if you take Hwy 12 to Torrey, hang a left on 24 then a right on 25 and head up to Fish Lake.  Awesome country.  25 swings around(all paved) and runs into 72.  Take a left and run up to Hwy 70, go East and hang a right back on 24(just before Green River) and that will take you down to Hanksville, Capital Reef and Torrey.  Southern Utah simply has some of the best roads and scenery around.  You really can't go wrong no matter what direction you go in.  Ride safe and have fun.

That's a wonderful place to visit.  Looking at betoney's map, it takes you by Capitol Reef National Park.  Out of the five national parks in Utah, that was my favorite.  If you get a chance, take a walk through the dry stream beds.  The rock walls tower above you, and the patterns in the rocks are simply amazing.  Often, the rock on the left side of the trail is totally different than the right side of the trail and the rock patterns are at a different angle.

Hickman Bridge is well worth a couple hours to hike to.

ACtC-3foRAN_mE4WrdMrcYA9F7NT4ubQdPtBPbyxlJjh2YWv2JSVVrW9No2rk3Pt5CY_v34esMTc4D__uNYpnEYgb4ikkuT-3X6DOS9lJvdF-RLT8ddiIwXOVZarcvg8V0LlzSdYcolUkIZ7nnE1RwwuWmYJLA=w1670-h940-no?authuser=0

Chris

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

Man I can't wait for the end of this pandemic.  Utah is #2 on my bucket list for riding the US, #1 being the Pacific Coast Highway to Cali (Dad lived in Santa Barbara).  SO much to see...

• Thumbsup 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

My only recommendation is never get on the interstate in that area of Utah, if you do, you are failing at all the good stuff there is out there.   As someone mentioned US12 and 14 are Awesome.  And even 89 is a very very nice ride....  But again, if you get on the I-15, you are failing at Utah :)

If you look at the header image of my Twitter acct you can see one of the key sections mentioned of US 12.   https://twitter.com/_JoeKelly_/header_photo

Edited by Clegg78
  • Thumbsup 3
  • Haha 1