First proper ride.

So I finally think I have the set up right on my tracer, stiffened the standard front and rear  suspension for me (220lbs). The ride is hard but that's how I like it giving a good feedback and sporty feel. I also did the riser spin thing giving an extra little bit of reach and rolled the bars up just a smidge. Seat height set to tall (I'm 6.1).

I still have the Yamaha standard issue rubber on the bike but checked pressures before setting out. I'm still running the bike in so keeping mainly to B mode or STD just so I don't get carried away with the revs.

I finally feel the bike is responding how I want it, I have confidence going through corners and round roundabouts tightly and not at all vague it feels planted and the tyres are holding up well with no feel of letting go.

Power delivery is good and responsive with pick up being very clean and crisp enough to get passed most things without an issue. I am looking forward to getting the first service done and opening the throttle with no worries about rev limits and getting the extra power through the range.

Coming from a FZ1N I thought maybe I should have gone for an MT10 but now I know I made the right call. Great bike which will deliver all the fun and smiles I want.

• Thumbsup 4

• Supporting Member
21 minutes ago, chris wilkins said:

Coming from a FZ1N I thought maybe I should have gone for an MT10 but now I know I made the right call. Great bike which will deliver all the fun and smiles I want.

My previous bike was also an FZ1 and there is still a small part of me that misses it but I enjoy the FJ/Tracer so much more overall.  I too had considered the FZ/ MT10 but after a day in the twisties, I keep telling myself all of that extra power could REALLY get me in trouble quickly, and then there's the terrible fuel economy and range... 👎

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member

I like the fact on our bikes that I can whack the throttle open in a couple of gears on straight, dry pavement for few seconds and still be at near legal speeds. I feel like all I can do on a 1000cc bike is crack the throttle, short shift, and shut it down. At the same time, at highway speeds, our bikes aren't running out of steam like my WR250X was. 

• Thumbsup 1

On 10/16/2020 at 3:54 PM, 1moreroad said:

I like the fact on our bikes that I can whack the throttle open in a couple of gears on straight, dry pavement for few seconds and still be at near legal speeds. I feel like all I can do on a 1000cc bike is crack the throttle, short shift, and shut it down. At the same time, at highway speeds, our bikes aren't running out of steam like my WR250X was. 

How near legal speed can one be when this thing will pop to 75 in 2nd gear without too much fuss?  Haha.  

5 hours ago, Dodgy Knees said:

I came from a ktm 1290 and in the "playing field" of 0 - 100 mph, the difference in the two bikes isn't as big as you would expect, considering 115 vs 173. Bhp ish.  115 is plenty for the UK roads for sure. 👍

One of my best buds just got a new 1290 this past week, we are riding today matter of fact......we shall see who's faster "overall". :)

Never ridden with a 1290 but from what I see at the track there is not as much difference between a 600 and a liter bike below 100mph.  Liter bikes have good pull with lots of torque but its on the longer straights that the power really is noticeable.  In WERA more than one have seen a 600 rider "ride up" and race in the liter bike race and run mid pack or better.  Lots of fun to watch them go at it.  Watched Danny Eslick running with a good rider on a liter bike.  Danny couldn't get around the liter bike but the liter bike couldn't pull away either.  Lots of fun to watch.  Don't think either of them are racing anymore.  My butt dyno says the Tracer GT is as quick as my ZX6R 636 was although the ZX6R would probably outrun the Tracer GT at any speed over 115 :-) 

• Thumbsup 1