New to me 2015 FJ09 with ~9K miles - no maintenance has been done besides tires and oil changes

Hey all, as stated in the title apparently no maintenance has been done except for oil changes and tires.  I took a look at the service schedule, which is pretty extensive, but I wanted to ask everyone here:

What things most definitely would and/or should be done now that its in my possession?

It seems to be in great shape, rides fantastic.  I've done some basic work on an older 1983 Honda Nighthawk, but I'm no pro and I will be taking it to a mechanic for a good look over.

But the only glaring thing I found myself is that the chain needs to be cleaned and probably adjusted as well.

Many thanks in advance, glad to be here!

Edited by Oddjob

Maintenance most certainly isn’t extensive on these bikes, matter of fact you have the major service at 24k miles but up to that “realistically” that’s about it other than perhaps  brake fluid flush and refill. Keep it all simple stupid, mind your chain and stay up on fluid changes.....ride the hell out of it. Others might disagree with me, but hey that’s how I approach it is all, plenty in service or user manual which is so overkill imho. 

• Thumbsup 4

• Supporting Member

Over the winter, pull the swingarm and shock linkage apart and clean and grease all of the bearings.  You can carefully pry off the dust seals and grease the wheel bearings as well.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

1moreroad - He did say he had it in for a recall work shortly after he purchased it(new) and a search by vin indicates that there are no outstanding recalls on the bike. 

Ride365 - Right on, that seems to be the word on the street that Yamaha's are tanks and don't need a whole lot.  Looking at the schedule right off the bat to me it seemed like they're just trying to get you in the shop, and I've seen mechanics say the same thing.

betoney - Good to know, is that something that's good to do annually?

Thanks for all the replies!

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
12 hours ago, Oddjob said:

betoney - Good to know, is that something that's good to do annually?

Personally, I do it annually.  Once you do it the first time, it’s a fairly simple process. If you ride in the rain, it’s a no-brainer. 

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
On 11/1/2020 at 10:57 PM, betoney said:

You can carefully pry off the dust seals and grease the wheel bearings as well.

I don't know if I'd go through that trouble. I'm pushing 100K and my wheel bearings are still smooth as butter.

• Thumbsup 1

Let’s go Brandon

• 2 months later...

Mine is sitting in the basement right now completely apart and I'm fighting the urge to check the valves at 4k miles. I'll wait till next winter though and do it at what ever mileage is on it then.

This engine has displayed a history of the exhaust valve clearance getting too tight at a much lower mileage than the first scheduled check of 26k miles. Leave it alone and it will cost you $1500 min. for a head job.

I'll be checking mine at well under 16k miles the first time and then no more than an additional 16k miles till it settles down (if it does).