maximNikenGT

• Supporting Member
9 hours ago, FourSwords said:

I spent the last two months identifying all of the Nikens available for sale in the U.S., as found on Yamaha's website, on Cycletrader.com, and on Motohunt.com.  I purchased a brand new 2019 Niken GT for my wife and then a brand new 2019 Niken for me.  

In the process, I accumulated just under 50 VINs from Nikens for sale, about 3 from salvage auctions, a couple from your posts with other members, and one from an old article, for a total 54.  I noticed that they were all 2019 models.  Since there are 2 dozen never-sold 2019 Nikens sitting on showroom floors today and no 2020's listed anywhere, including the Yamaha main website, it is apparent  that Yamaha chose not to put any 2020's on the floor with all of the unsold inventory.  

And since I managed to get a sample of about 20% of the VINs and none of them are for 2018 models, I don't believe there were likely any sold in the U.S. for that model year.  One manufactured in August of 2018 was presumably for the 2019 model year.

I also noticed that all of the under-170 VIN numbers are Niken GT's and all of the over-300 VIN numbers are Nikens.  I have roughly every 4th VIN for Nikens and roughly every 6th VIN for GT's, along with where they are for sale, or were for sale, in the U.S. in the last two months.  Since none of the ones I found are between 169 and 307, either (1) Yamaha produced only up to about 170 GT's in their first run and left room to produce more if they needed to later, or (2) the ones that are numbered between 171-300 were shipped to another country.  Same goes for the standard model Nikens that ended at 410 - anything above that went elsewhere or Yamaha may have left a gap after 410 to have headroom for another production run.

Then I hit the NHTSA's website for the Yamaha recall on the brake switches.  It gives the VIN ranges for affected Nikens, which confirmed the approximate numbers I had assumed from my list of 54 VINs.  Look on the second page at VIN Range 3 (Niken GTs) and VIN Range 4 (Nikens).  It shows #5-#174 inclusive (total of 170) and #310-#410 inclusive (total of 110): https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2020/RCLRPT-20V814-4925.PDF 

Very impressed with your powers of deduction using multiple disparate sources during your purchase research. My hats off to you sir in that this is some of the best supporting info I've heard in awhile in addition to your household having two Nikens.  If Florida only has 6  Nikens, then you own 2 of the six in the entire state! :) 

I find it very interesting that you actually also found 3 salvage as well. I hadn't even considered how many in the production runs may have already met their demise. Numbers could potentially be lower worldwide due to attrition. 

Hadn't seen that US recall notice that showed the actual ranges. Super helpful in at least isolating how many are potentially in the US. 

Anecdotally, a fellow Niken owner in the Facebook forums indicated that there were ~120 Nikens in Italy as told to them by a source in their local Yamaha dealer. I thought for sure that if assuming proportionality holds per country then according ratio of Nikens to local population numbers then there must be close to 1k Nikens in the US. Happy that we're a rare bunch, but sad in that it means costs to repair a special model could be much higher. 

2019 Niken GT
"Motorcycles - the brand is not important, the fact that you ride is."

• 2 weeks later...
  • Supporting Member
3 hours ago, Semiold said:

In a few days I pick up a used Niken GT serial # ends in 00060.  

What year?

2019 Niken GT

• Supporting Member

UPDATED WORLDWIDE NIKEN TOTALS: Source: from Niken owners.

New high VIN confirmed for 2018 model year out of Poland. This brings worldwide estimate to:

2018 Nikens =1532,

2019 Nikens=1553, and

2020 Nikens =2258

Still no serial numbers confirmed for 2021 Nikens. Current  new worldwide total of 5343!

Country representation so far includes: Australia, Canada, China, Czechoslovakia, France, Italy, Israel, Japan, New Zealand, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Scotland, Serbia, Spain, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, UK, US, Wales.

2019 Niken GT

• Supporting Member
9 hours ago, Semiold said:

2019, 1018 miles. $14,500......what do ya think??

I got my 2019 GT in September 2020 from a motivated seller for $12.5k with Akrapovic exhaust and 343 miles on the odometer. The guy had just bought a boat and needed to make room for his new toy and needed cash fast. I've heard stories from folks indicating brand new Nikens sitting on showroom floors here in NC with dramatic price cuts from the dealer trying to move its slower selling inventory,  it comes down to supply and demand. 

Given the low mileage, and that there appear to be only 170 GTs in the entire US, and if it wasn't under pandemic conditions with disrupted supply chains for everything including computer chips for vehicles, it's not too bad. You're not getting a terrible bike by any means. 

2019 Niken GT

• Supporting Member
12 hours ago, Semiold said:

343 Miles??    Did the guy just ride it one time?

I was stunned how little he rode the Niken considering he had the bike for over a year. I will say he really liked the finer things. Ford Raptor, Niken GT, new boat, oh and new condo. 

2019 Niken GT

• 2 weeks later...

Well, finally picked up Niken GT today. 1025 miles, after many starts and stops, final price was $12,500.  Then a 2.5 hour ride home. Would like a taller wind screen and top case.  Have a issue with the gas gauge, it drops to 1/2 tank when only 1.5 gallons have. been used....comments, questions concerns.....

• Thumbsup 1

I'm getting low 40s just riding around. Usually go on reserve around 160 miles and gas up at about 180 miles give or take a few. The farthest I've ever gotten on one tank was 198.8 miles and then filled it with 4.758 gallons. Considering it only holds 4.8 gallons that's pretty close to totally empty.

• Thumbsup 1

• 2 weeks later...

New owner here in British Columbia Canada. 2019 GT bought from dealership as a demo. 1,600km (1,000miles). Came with Yamaha extended warranty till Aug 2024. VIN ends in 000028.  Flying out to dealer tomorrow to ride her home, will take the long way home through southern BC mountains etc.  Have the Akro system on order! 

Edited by farklepilot
spelling
  • Thumbsup 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • Supporting Member
On 6/16/2021 at 6:23 PM, farklepilot said:

New owner here in British Columbia Canada. 2019 GT bought from dealership as a demo. 1,600km (1,000miles). Came with Yamaha extended warranty till Aug 2024. VIN ends in 000028.  Flying out to dealer tomorrow to ride her home, will take the long way home through southern BC mountains etc.  Have the Akro system on order! 

Congrats on the new bike and welcome to the forum. Any pics to share?

2019 Niken GT