Bit damp in Norfolk UK

nigel5

Went to see my aged mother earlier, handed over pressie, quick cup of tea on the doorstep I ain`t risking going in!
Roads not too bad except for the last mile or so across country when I see a virtual river running across the road, no problem I`m a rufty tufty biker!
quite proud of myself for fording it despite strong sideways current, and then another one successfully forded :D

So I leave Mother`s knowing I can do it, first flood no problem, second flood leads to a tight left hand bend, keep over to the left and "find" a kerb stone I can`t see with my front wheel, gently lay the bike down in the flood, my head gets buried in the water in the ditch and I think I`m going to drown :oops: Luckily farmer Giles is pulling out of junction in 4x4 and he helps me lift the bike as I floundering about in the water!

Bike had turned itself off (tilt switch?) and won`t start, farmer says leave it a minute for petrol to drain so I take off my by now soaked lid, quick drag of nicotine and she starts on the button and idles 8-)

Lessons learned = a Yamaha Tracer 900 GT is an adventure bike, its very water resistant and Goretex boots are waterproof up to the point where you swim in them bloody cold 38 mile ride home with soaking wet feet :lol:

Only went today as its going to freeze tomorrow, one day maybe I will buy a "sensible" car!

• Thumbsup 8
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member

Wow... a bit of an unplanned adventure, but glad it all worked out basically ok.   

I decided to pass on a low-water crossing a few days back, for fear of having the exact same thing happen.   You’re validating my decision, so I appreciate you telling your story!  

Happy holidays

• Thumbsup 1

Great stuff.  And I'm sure dear old mom was happy you visited.

I hear Mich Road 5s are just the thing in a flood!

Well done.  cb

1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• Supporting Member
On 12/24/2020 at 6:28 PM, Coop said:

If it rained here the dog would need therapy.  The damned dirt was blowing the other day.

Coop, I'd almost pay some good money to be in Texas right now (it's also my birthplace).  Hang in there with all that wayward dirt and dust, and count your lucky stars you're not out here living in the shadow of DC.  

Gonna be a few more years before I can move back to the Southwest.  Believe me, I can't f'n wait.

2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT (Annabelle)
2013 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Juliette)
2013 Yamaha FJR 1300 (Rachel)
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250S (Fiona)
2006 Honda VFR800 (Jenny)
2005 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Hannah)
2003 Honda Shadow Sabre VT1100 (Veronica)

Just a reminder...If you drop the bike, wreck, etc.  Turn the key off. You do it, have a bystander do it, whatever it takes.

Bike won't start till key is turned off, then turned on. Bank angle sensor must be reset.

I watch all the You Tube videos with crashing bikes.  I'm always yelling at the screen "Turn the key off"  They keep cranking and cranking the engine, it's never going to start.

• Thumbsup 2

2 hours ago, whistler said:

Coop, I'd almost pay some good money to be in Texas right now (it's also my birthplace).  Hang in there with all that wayward dirt and dust, and count your lucky stars you're not out here living in the shadow of DC.  

Gonna be a few more years before I can move back to the Southwest.  Believe me, I can't f'n wait.

Bring some crab cakes when you come.  My spy in Northern Virginia says the old place in Lorton was torn down and replaced with something useless.  My last time into Reagan I decided to stay off of I-95 on my way to Triangle and instead took Hwy1.  I didn't stop to think what traffic would be like going through Alexandra at 1700 hours.  LOL!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, peteinpa said:

Just a reminder...If you drop the bike, wreck, etc.  Turn the key off. You do it, have a bystander do it, whatever it takes.

Bike won't start till key is turned off, then turned on. Bank angle sensor must be reset.

I watch all the You Tube videos with crashing bikes.  I'm always yelling at the screen "Turn the key off"  They keep cranking and cranking the engine, it's never going to start.

now know that! As the engine cut out as soon as the bike laid down I was more concerned with getting it upright out of the water!

Starter turned over but wouldn't fire, after I turned off ignition left a couple of mins it started on the button

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member

LOL!! 

I mean...Dammit, you're killing me, Scotty!   😁

• Like 1

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, Coop said:

Bring some crab cakes when you come.  My spy in Northern Virginia says the old place in Lorton was torn down and replaced with something useless.  My last time into Reagan I decided to stay off of I-95 on my way to Triangle and instead took Hwy1.  I didn't stop to think what traffic would be like going through Alexandra at 1700 hours.  LOL!

Will do, Coop.  Yep, that crab shack is gone in favor of something not worth having.  Such is progress, supposedly.

And your trip down Rt 1 was a hard lesson learned, too, eh?  I've done that many a time out of necessity due to 95 being the complete snafu that it usually is.  DC metro traffic absolutely "insert profane adjective here!!!"

• Supporting Member
Just now, texscottyd said:

04D08110-625C-47E6-BAA4-A57175581FF3.thumb.jpeg.56c422ae1b46cb1c9870dd422000008a.jpeg

I thinks that’s about as far south as I’ll be going today...  :) 

OK, now you're just rubbing salt (or sand) in the wound...  😎  Enjoy the beautiful weather.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***