Pls help! Which Tracer to buy?

Hi guys, please read well!

I really love the Tracer and have the opportunity to buy an immaculate 2016 model (2200 miles) with upgrades (see pics for list) or for 2000 more I can have a 2018 model, same miles but no upgrades.

OR spend DOUBLE to get the new 2021 Tracer 9.

I do NOT tour. I just love the bike. 

I might do a road trip twice a year for 5 days.

Which is the right bike for me?

Thank you for your advice!

Screenshot_20210205-173320_Facebook.jpg

Edited by Zookie
Update

The 2016 and 2018 are different bikes with a lot of updates in the 2018.  Probably the biggest that I've heard about is much better throttle response.   You probably should do some research into the differences and decide if any of them are worth $2,000 to you.  

• Supporting Member

Original FJ09 ("MT09 Tracer" in your country) did not come with a slipper clutch vs. the newer base level Tracer, the newest 2021 base level Tracer 9 is a completely new bike and compared to the GT does not come with side bags, heated grips, quick shifter or electronic suspension but does come with  cruise control.  Here in the U.S. we only get the GT version.

There is a big difference between the 2015 and 2021 models, I guess you have to ask yourself which features you want and which ones you could potentially live without.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

A five day trip probably involves some luggage.  I just strap a bag over the rear seat and go.  As has been pointed out the older bike lacks a lot of refinement that the 18-20 versions have.  The '16 would be more of a hooligan and could be really fun if you like that kind of stuff.  If not the '18 thru '20 models are "more mature" but not too much so.  The '21 will be a step forward in refinement as well.  It has an IMU which will help if you are looking for cornering ABS etc.  My advice is to evaluate your riding and riding style and see which fits you best.  I like to take 16 days trips or longer and like the side cases and cruse control and I don't like to pull the front wheel up.  If I was feeling rich I'd get the '21, if trying to save a bit of money I'd look fro a good '19 or '20.  I would not rule out the '16 as you may prefer a bit more of a hooligan nature.  It's the same platform and the differences are not huge perhaps thought more of as refinements and the '16 does have side cases and heated grips.  Sidecases and heated grips are very nice.  I came from the sport bike side and have done a lot of riding without either and for short day trips they are nice to have.  Having a place to store some of your gear is nice and sometimes it can get a bit cool and the heated grips are so nice.  

On 2/5/2021 at 5:36 PM, Zookie said:

I test rode a 19 model GT tracer and was so impressed with the bike that I made my mind up to go with one part way through the test ride. As much as I liked it I couldn't justify the cost of a new bike when they were so many good low mileage second hand bikes out there. Biggest negative factor for me at the time was the small 22 litre factory panniers and eventually went for a bike with a shad three box setup. I only use the panniers about three or four times a year they spent most of the time in storage but they are useful for my regular annual tour and couple of weekends away. My riding buddy went for a new GT model in 2019 and loves it but, I would reckon I saved about £4000 by going for a pre-loved two year old model. Only thing I possibly hanker after is the cruise control but for 95% of my riding I don't really need it. I have no regrets about my decision its a Tracer, and you shouldn't have about yours either go for the one that feels best for you and enjoy every mile.

Screen and beak.jpg

• Thumbsup 2

On 2/5/2021 at 12:36 PM, Zookie said:

Hi guys, please read well!

I really love the Tracer and have the opportunity to buy an immaculate 2016 model (2200 miles) with upgrades (see pics for list) or for 2000 more I can have a 2018 model, same miles but no upgrades.

OR spend DOUBLE to get the new 2021 Tracer 9.

I do NOT tour. I just love the bike. 

I might do a road trip twice a year for 5 days.

Thank you for your advice!

That looks like a great bike for your needs.

I have a 2016 FJ and it does everything I want and was a great value for the money. I bought it with 3200 miles and love it.

I have a good throttle lock and use it on longer tours so I really don’t miss cruise control.  I’ve put 14k mikes on the bike and love it.  Going with a gently used well-maintained bike is a wise move in my opinion.

Edited by nhchris
  • Thumbsup 1
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09