• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 40 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Heated gear connector routing

mferring

Hello folks. New to the forum. Picking up my Tracer 900GT on Tuesday. Previously had a 2011 Kawasaki Versys 650. Looking forward to the power!

I searched for this question for a bit and did not find anything exactly what I was hoping for....so I thought I would post a quick question.

I am hoping that you could share any clever ideas you have had about how to route a heated clothing power wire so that it is out of the way when you are not using it, but easily accessible for plugging in at the lower end of the jacket when needed.

Previously, I used a Wolfman Luggage tank bag that used straps to hold it on the tank. It had a small elastic that went across the bottom side of the tank and I just kind of hooked my power wire and connector up and over that elastic so that is was well located and not moving when not in use.

The bike I am picking up has a Shad E10 tankbag installed at the gas cap, so there is not a strap like that I could use.

I know I could probably use a zip tie somewhere on the frame that is loose enough to hold the connector and then pull it out when needed. But I was hoping you knowledgeable folks would have some more clever ideas of how to manage this connector than I have been able to come up with. I still plan to route the cable under the front of the seat, but you also might have better ideas than that.

Many thanks for any thoughts you can share.

Mark

Congrats on you Tracer GT, you will love it.  Power is nice as is the sweet sound of the triple.  Have had a couple of 600cc sport bikes, those I4s sound glorious when wound up but lets everyone know someone is hard on the gas!  The triple is not so obvious but still has spirit.  You will see lots of discussion about suspension and tires.  I have found the stock suspension to be adequate after adjusting and have gone with a Michelin Pilot Power 5 front and a Road 5 rear and really like it.  Not as stiff as say my CBR600RR was but is a better ride for all day and still able to play in the curves.  

Good question, I'm wondering the same thing.  Currently setting up my first heated gear - was going to test it yesterday but was too warm!  Have a Neutrino Element+ for a controller and from that go to a standard Battery Tender tip connection.  Routing that out from the front edge of the passenger seat.  For the gear use a short adapter cable to go to a round plug that fits my gear.  Neutrino has the capability of changing the heat based on temperature so have some things to play with there.  For quick stops planning on disconnecting at round plug and for longer stops will take the adapter cable off leaving short connector just out of the seat.  In warm weather will stow that under the seat.  I am very interested in others solutions and ideas.

You got me thinking. Previously I at both a Battery Tender connector and the TourMaster connectors both hooked directly to the battery. Had not really thought about a SAE to Powerlet adapter so I could dual purpose my BT cable to use as the heated gear cable as well and only have one wire set connected to the battery. Found this on Amazon which should do the trick!

I've always run the cable between the seat and gas tank.  I use a Gerbing coax cable, but install an SAE adapter for my BatterTender.  When not in use, I clip the cable end to the grab handle of my tank bag.  If no grab handle, clip to a zipper pull.

I use a clip like this;

https://www.staples.com/GBC-3747210-ID-Badge-Clip-With-Strap-Clear-10-Pack/product_511097?ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=511097&KPID=511097&cid=PS:H2H:GS:SBD:PLA:FAC&gclid=CjwKCAiAm-2BBhANEiwAe7eyFK8oYJmlPK502urTMj5uW9hO9gzfiP5RZ-TjKtnquSzZ0oxnseEDDBoC8pAQAvD_BwE

• Thumbsup 1

Had not really thought about a SAE to Powerlet adapter so I could dual purpose my BT cable to use as the heated gear cable as well and only have one wire set connected to the battery.

You should go the other way.  Use your Tourmaster cable and get a Powerlet to SAE adapter.  The Tourmaster cable is probably a larger wire gage for heat vs smaller gage for Battery Tender.  At least with Gerbing cables, they are larger gage than Battery Tender.

Ahhh, good point Carey. I think I will go the other way. One thing to consider is that the Tourmaster has a 15A fuse and the Battery Tender has a 7.5A fuse. I will call BT to see whether this is an issue to use the larger fuse for charging. I guess I could always split the difference and use a 10A.

I have a jacket, vest, and gloves. Jacket is 5.4A, Gloves 2, and vest 3.4. So 7.5A fuse may be a little tight if I am using the gloves and jacket at the same time. However, I have never come close to running them anywhere near full power, so my guess is my actual current will be much less than the rated current. So, the 7.5 might be fine.

Also, good idea with the clip. Never thought to buy some cheap badge clips for this purpose.

Thanks for the thoughts.

With my Gerbings set-up, I like to run the coax cables up from the front of the seat (dual circuits). I've seen guys install ports in a bike's paneling but that makes me shudder. If you leave the cables dangling from between the seat and tank and you get off the bike having forgotten you're wired to it, the cables will simply detach. Plug into a fixed port and do the same thing and you've just wrecked the port and/or wiring. Not that I've ever done such a thing.... :o

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
On 2/28/2021 at 5:41 PM, larolco said:

Plug into a fixed port and do the same thing and you've just wrecked the port and/or wiring.

I have a Powerlet port on front-left side of the bike for my jacket. The curly cord gently reminds me that I am tethered to something within a step away from the bike. It's been working great... but there's always a chance I guess.

powerlet_heat.thumb.JPG.56dc76c86963d339ebc59af92c0c0ab8.JPG

Edited by piotrek

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

I run the heated gear coax cable between the tank and front seat.  I carry a coax to battery tender SAE adapter cable in case the bike is put on the battery tender.  This eliminates having both cables.  I also also carry a single controller with a splitter cable to run my gloves and jacket liner in case my double controller fails (which has happened in the past to me).  Mine failed about 100 miles from home in 20 degree weather........thus, the spare👍

Edited by whisperquiet

I've wanted to get some magnetic connectors mounted on my bike's panelling so I can walk away and they just safely and simply detach without any yanking, but they're expensive.  

s-l400.jpg

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for...

They're only live contacts when the plug is connected - the contacts inside are closed magnetically when the two parts are pushed together - so there's no live contacts exposed.  And it's just held on magnetically when connected, so you can just walk away without worrying about damaging anything.  I'd probably put this up on top of the bike, actually, on the black plastic cover (not the side scoop cover, mind you) so I can see and reach it really easily while riding.  Mostly because I've ridden off having forgotten to attach my heated gear connector and doing that while riding when it's a loose barrel connector is sketchy, whereas attaching this in front of me would be a lot easier and safer. 

But they're stupidly expensive.

With that said, I just use a basic barrel plug, and I run it out between the tank and frame on the left side, with the cable literally tied to the frame so if (when) I walk away with them connected, it just yanks the barrel plug out and pulls on the frame vs. on the connections inside the bike. 

I ride in the winter, and use an extensive set of heated gear (jacket, gloves, helmet) so it sees a lot of use and abuse, and holds up really well. 

I'm doing the same as others have mentioned.  I have the SAE connector for the battery tender tied directly to the battery (fused, of course).  I use an adapter to plug in my heat controller for my gear.  I've been using it since I bought my FJ in 2015 without any issues.  Two safety recommendations: route the cable so it does not get pinched, and keep the cover on the plug when not in use.  You're going to love the Tracer - best engine out there!

Ride Safe!

• Supporting Member
7 hours ago, PhotoAl said:

For quick stops planning on disconnecting at round plug and for longer stops will take the adapter cable off leaving short connector just out of the seat.  In warm weather will stow that under the seat.  I am very interested in others solutions and ideas.

6 hours ago, mferring said:

You got me thinking. Previously I at both a Battery Tender connector and the TourMaster connectors both hooked directly to the battery. Had not really thought about a SAE to Powerlet adapter so I could dual purpose my BT cable to use as the heated gear cable as well and only have one wire set connected to the battery. Found this on Amazon which should do the trick!

I have my battery tender SAE connector connected directly to the battery and the Tourmaster pigtail connector attached to that.  Its normally tucked behind the frame rail, I just pulled it outside the frame for the photo.

image.thumb.png.3de5a1abcc8efc7cfd3e9bc1308bec45.png

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***