What do I own??

I have no idea what Yamaha I own.  I think I bought a 2020 Tracer GT - but

The manual that came with the bike says I have a;                MTT9GTL    or a  MTT9GTLC  

the Yamaha parts web site offers me these choices:             MTT9GTLB  or a MTT9GTLCB  

the PDF svc manual I bought from  web says I have a:        MTT9GTK     or a MTT9GTKC  

Not sure if you are serious?  There are 6 model numbers there.  They seem to come in pairs, so I assume their is some clear A or B choice for the pairs, like DCT or something (yeah, I know they don't make a DCT, just an example.

But then why are there 3 sets of these pairs?  Japan  Europe  NA???

• Supporting Member
3 minutes ago, kurtfriedrich said:

The manual that came with the bike says I have a;                MTT9GTL    or a  MTT9GTLC  

the Yamaha parts web site offers me these choices:             MTT9GTLB  or a MTT9GTLCB  

the PDF svc manual I bought from  web says I have a:        MTT9GTK     or a MTT9GTKC  

I 'believe' that the K is 2019 and the L is 2020, The C is a California model code, I am not sure what B is for, maybe a color code?

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

betoney, thanks.  That helps a lot.

My service manual also lists  MTT9K        MTT9KC , as in 2019 they made both a tracer and a tracer GT.

So I guess my srv manual is not for a 2020, bummer.  Still will be useful.

So year and CA both make sense.   I see CA bikes have a vapor canister which is unique.

As for the B, I see Brazil sold 2020's in blue, so color is a good guess, but my registration says I have a GTLB   B for orange?

My owners manual also says I have a model label under the passenger seat,  See attached pic, that just confuses things.  Maybe the filled in dot means I have a B and the non B's are B1JG-010 ??

thumbnail_20210311_182919.jpg

On the right side of the frame just behind the steering head is the VIN.  At the top of the sticker is a 2 digit month followed by a 2 digit year of manufacture.  There are some web sites that will help you decipher the VIN number.  Somewhere buried in the VIN is the year code - as Betony says L is 2020 and K is 2019.  My bike was made 11/19 but is a 2020 model.  I bought a car in January and just went thru some of this trying to figure out which month it was made.  Biggest question I would think would be is it a California model or not.  Easy to figure out if it's a Tracer GT vs a Tracer - instrument panel.  

I believe the sticker under the seat is the color.  

• Supporting Member

...found these, maybe they'll give some clues:

Yamaha VIN decoder - Lookup and check Yamaha VIN number...

https://www.cyclepedia.com/motorcycle-vin-decoder/

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

Oh jeepers. Let’s clear this up:

@betoney’s info is mostly correct. 10th digit of the VIN is always the year of manufacture.  ALWAYS. 

K and L in the Model NAME may or may not be the year. (wouldn’t assume that to be gospel, always go by VIN)

B1JG is an internal Yamaha Model Code designation that does allow for the dealer to pull up certain specifics but has nothing to decipher that means anything, except to Yamaha (at least that they have published for the owner).

MTT9KC is the same as a MTT9K, but is a California model. 

On 3/11/2021 at 5:42 PM, kurtfriedrich said:

Back to the original question:

manual GT(L) vs GT(LC) is simply CA model. 
parts web - same answer, TLCB vs TLC, in this case B is a color code  

PDF service -same (9GTK vs 9GTC)

@kurtfriedrich no difference in service manuals. Yamaha generally doesn’t issue new books every year unless there’s changes.

Hope that helps.

-Skip

• Thumbsup 2

Ok, but the problem then remains, how do your determine your model name? 

I actually ran into this issue when I originally purchased my bike (Canada, mind you - no "titles" here) how do you determine the specific model name for a given VIN?

Edit: They had a slurry of different names and numbers throughout the documentation, and the registry (our DMV, I suppose) people had a bit of a fit trying to figure out what the model name actually was.

Edited by Wintersdark