Battery charger/minder

The 900GT manual says that you cannot use a general battery charger on the bike battery, it will damage the battery.

I have used a battery minder on previous bikes with no ill effects. Hoping I can do so on my 21 Tracer due in May.  But a charger may cause an issue? What chargers and minders are the UK guys using on the current bike?

Thank you

• Supporting Member
26 minutes ago, silvergreen said:

The 900GT manual says...

If history is any indication, - Yamaha owners manual have some overly cautious recommendations.  I have never had a bike without a battery tender.  YMMV.

• Thumbsup 4

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

"General battery charger" do they mean normal car battery charger? Optimate are specifically designed to maintain bike batteries, hook mine up if it's been standing for a while no problem.

• Supporting Member

I usually pull the batteries out of whatever vehicle I'm storing for the winter, and connect them all to a battery tender.  Good opportunity to treat the clamps if there's any corrosion (axle grease is usually good enough).

• Thumbsup 3

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

What you want to avoid are old school manual battery chargers (the ones that can overcharge a battery). 

A battery tender/maintainer will not do this - they're designed to top up and maintain the battery.  Optimate, Battery Tender, etc - they're very inexpensive and can be connected via a SAE pigtail.  You *should* be using one of these particularly if you're leaving the bike parked for an extended period.

• Thumbsup 1

@silvergreen, a CTEK 3.2 as you don’t need the higher amperage versions. I fitted a fused SAE connector to the battery, that sits under the rear seat. Easy connection that way and mine sits this way all winter. You can also connect a tyre inflator directly via the SAE if needed, which could be useful as the accessory connectors are only fused for low current draw.

The Aldi and Lidl versions are often on offer and have a great reputation on car forums I visit.

• Thumbsup 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)