New top case

I have a ginormous Givi V46 left over the old FJR... but I am not putting that huge wind drag on my Tracer. I'll be selling that soon.  

This is a Shad40 Cargo. I didn't purposely try to match the matte black paint, but this sure blends in well with the factory hard bags. 

Atop the flat rack, I'll be placing a squat, rectangular 1.25 gallon Coleman mini-ice chest that will hold our drinking water. Nothing like pounding down ice-water while underway in the blazing hot desert.  🔥  🔥  🔥 

Shad40.thumb.jpg.828b2464dab977477a62ccbfb172d783.jpg

• Thumbsup 2

Shyeah, I don't think so. And trust me, this Shad is nothing like some of the huge-ass top bags I've seen on Tracers... these guys will need a wheelie bar waaaaay before I do.... 😆

Below is a Givi V46... so you can see why that behemoth is not going on my bike! 

hugeass2.thumb.jpg.3cd91ac11d7499437ca28d907ef9f3bf.jpg

Below are full-size FJR panniers he's rockin'...

hugeass3.thumb.jpg.a96eef56f98605887590a2cf57a0c1b4.jpg

Another mondo-case below... no way I'm using that. The entire point of going from a big, hoggy touring rig is to get away from the ability to pack even more crap on the bike.

hugeass1.thumb.jpg.8d41223dfa965b4cf11398ebdc9b6126.jpg   

The Shad I have is like a glove box compared to this monstrosity below... he could probably put a small child in this oversized topcase. This thing is so huge, it might be at his rack's max recommended weight even when empty. 😆

hugeass3.thumb.jpg.0fd2a32cb48b84ff793ee2274d4968ee.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• Premium Member

I've been running the old version of the Shad SH46 top case (and when touring their excellent SH36 panniers in the 3P mounts) for 43,000 + miles with no issues. Yes, u-turns are a bit more difficult but you get used to the handling. Certainly not nearly as bad as even a petite passenger,  which I have no inclination to add.

20201119_161509.jpg

21 minutes ago, pablo miller said:

How much do you want for it, and will it fit on my 2017 Niken GT?

If your Niken has the standard Givi rack mount, it should fit.

But I am reasonably sure you don't want to pay the shipping cost from Washington state... it will be a pretty hefty shipping box, because a Givi V46 is a hefty-sized top case.

I'm wondering what sort of mounting plate you purchase for that Shad? Do you have a model number? I have the Shad side cases and am looking to add the top case for longer trips this summer. 

• Thumbsup 1

2 minutes ago, Salish900 said:

I'm wondering what sort of mounting plate you purchase for that Shad? Do you have a model number? I have the Shad side cases and am looking to add the top case for longer trips this summer. 

Me too as I am also very interested in this exact set up. :)

On 3/25/2021 at 6:02 PM, Warchild said:

I have a ginormous Givi V46 left over the old FJR... but I am not putting that huge wind drag on my Tracer. I'll be selling that soon.  

This is a Shad40 Cargo. I didn't purposely try to match the matte black paint, but this sure blends in well with the factory hard bags. 

Atop the flat rack, I'll be placing a squat, rectangular 1.25 gallon Coleman mini-ice chest that will hold our drinking water. Nothing like pounding down ice-water while underway in the blazing hot desert.  🔥  🔥  🔥 

Shad40.thumb.jpg.828b2464dab977477a62ccbfb172d783.jpg

I like that top case. The lines, size, and color go great with the bike. The cargo rack on top is a nice feature. Does it have an available back rest? 

I have the Yamaha 39L case. That 40ish liter is just the right size for this sport tourer. Not too big but still large enough to store your helmet or myriad of other items.

Edited by roadwarrior
  • Like 1

On 3/31/2021 at 10:54 AM, Ride365 said:

Me too as I am also very interested in this exact set up. :)

That Shad is sitting on a SW-Motech Adventure Rack. This rack has many different options for adapters - a Givi mount, a Shad mount, a Kappa mount several others.

gpt_xx_xxx_19000_b_8_xl.jpg

First-class quality, innovative design, always reliable - numerous...

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Between my barn door screen and my wide girth next inline, how can could my SH46 BEHIND me add significant wind drag?!  Really, vs a SH40? Get real.  Loaded, top heaviness it does add but much less aero drag than my SH36 panniers in their 3P mounts.