1.5 months of warrant vs ecu flash

So I know the ecu flash is something I’m going to do.  I have until May 15 for original warranty.  I think I remember reading that the flash voids any warranty.  Is it worth waiting for the flash?   Maybe it doesn’t void the warranty.  If it doesn’t, then disregard that question.  However since I’m on the topic.  One of the options is to have the bike start up in A mode or STD mode.  What’s the rational for either choice?  Who has done it and wished they’ve done it differently?  From what I read about the flash, it’s a shame that it can’t just come that way from the factory.  

I had my brand new Tracer GT for about two months before I pulled the ECU and sent it off to Ivan.   No problems and no worries.  Much better fueling and smoother throttle response.  My bike starts up in whatever mode it was in when I shut it off.   

• Thumbsup 5

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

Yeah, the last month or two on the warranty really aren't going to make a difference, unless there's already something you want to get looked at I wouldn't worry about it.  

Startup in A or STD mode was relevant for the older FJ's but is much less so for 2019 Tracers because they already startup in the last used mode.  Maybe you want to always start in STD or A despite what you previously used, so the option remains, but the older FJ's would always start in STD mode no matter what you had been riding in, so if you wanted to ride in A mode all the time (~raises hand~) you'd have to manually put it into A mode every time you started.  

With that said, I've not flashed mine and won't unless I change the exhaust, because I was able to resolve the low speed fuelling issues via a booster plug, which is $100 and doesn't void my warranty in that I can just remove it in 5 minutes before bringing the bike in for warranty work.  

Why it doesn't come that way from the factory: It's an emissions thing, the bike's fuel maps are tuned somewhat lean from the factory to improve efficiency and reduce emissions in order to meet emissions laws.  

• Thumbsup 4

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, Yamajank said:

One of the options is to have the bike start up in A mode or STD mode.  What’s the rational for either choice?  Who has done it and wished they’ve done it differently? 

I had the ECU flashed on my '15 within the first 100 miles of ownership, I had it set to start in A mode because that's the mode I always use when riding, its personal preference really.

I have never heard of an ECU flash voiding a warranty (but don't take my word for it), I bought the 4 year Y.E.S. and have had no issues getting warranty work done.

• Like 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

2 hours ago, betoney said:

I had the ECU flashed on my '15 within the first 100 miles of ownership, I had it set to start in A mode because that's the mode I always use when riding, its personal preference really.

I have never heard of an ECU flash voiding a warranty (but don't take my word for it), I bought the 4 year Y.E.S. and have had no issues getting warranty work done.

Have you used the warranty enough to be worth the cost?

So this ECU is under the tank on the right?  That isn’t a very convenient location.  Any tips for getting it out or things to avoid?  I have a tender plugged in.  Any issues with leaving that as is while no ECU plugged in?  I know, ECU NOOB. 

• Supporting Member
11 hours ago, Yamajank said:

Have you used the warranty enough to be worth the cost?

In my case, yes. I have had warranty service performed 4 times. 

If the bike is new to you then accessing the ECU might seem pretty inconvenient, once you have worked on the bike for a while the process of removing the panels to get access to the airbox should be less than 10 minutes.

• Thanks 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

7 hours ago, Yamajank said:

So this ECU is under the tank on the right?  That isn’t a very convenient location.  Any tips for getting it out or things to avoid?  I have a tender plugged in.  Any issues with leaving that as is while no ECU plugged in?  I know, ECU NOOB. 

Tank removal is outlined with pictures (on a Tracer 900 GT) in my thread on fuel injector synchronization here: 

Which takes you through removal of the ECU, so you can just stop at that part.  

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, betoney said:

In my case, yes. I have had warranty service performed 4 times. 

If the bike is new to you then accessing the ECU might seem pretty inconvenient, once you have worked on the bike for a while the process of removing the panels to get access to the airbox should be less than 10 minutes.

I’ve had the panels off when I did the mod on my blinkers and hand guard lights, but I’m not looking forward to messing with the tank.  I’m sure it will be no big deal.

2 hours ago, i_ride45 said:

Can someone shed some light for a newb on why the ECU flash is desirable?

You can get improved fuelling.  To be honest, it's not really worthwhile on a Tracer unless you're changing other stuff as well.  I mean, it's pretty much always an improvement (if you're ok with being less environmentally friendly at least) but there's much cheaper ways to go now.  It's just that it's a much bigger improvement for the FJ's.

• Thanks 1