2015 FJ-09 vs 2020 Tracer 900 GT

I use to own a 2015 FJ-09 but I sold it about 2yrs ago and picked up a 2019 Superduke GT. My brother will be purchasing a 2020 Tracer 900 GT and I’m wondering what is the major differences? I know the 2020 has a color TFT, quick shifter, etc but what else has changed? 

also is the 2019 and the 2020 the same bike? Or were there changes made to the 2020 that the 2019 doesn’t have? 

Did they fix that wobble at high speeds?

Edited by pmason718

• Supporting Member
5 minutes ago, pmason718 said:

I use to own a 2015 FJ-09 but I sold it about 2yrs ago and picked up a 2019 Superduke GT. My brother will be purchasing a 2020 Tracer 900 GT and I’m wondering what is the major differences? I know the 2020 has a color TFT, quick shifter, etc but what else has changed? 

also is the 2019 and the 2020 the same bike? Or were there changes made to the 2020 that the 2019 doesn’t have? 

The 2019 and 2020 are the same bike, the updates from the 2015 FJ09 are heated grips, cruise control, longer swingarm, slipper clutch, separate adjustable fork legs and factory luggage plus what you listed above.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

40 minutes ago, pmason718 said:

Did they fix that wobble at high speeds?

I experienced the wobble on the newer Tracer but was easily remedied by tuning the suspension and setting the correct sag to the rider's weight. Didn't have any problem after that, bike is stable even at 220+ kph (135+mph). 

Other changes aside from those mentioned above and the aesthetics is the narrower handle bar too. As for internal components, essentially the same as the FJ09.

My Tracer (2019) has never had a wobble despite most of it's life being horrifically undersprung and thus sag impossible to be in spec, and I've spent a fair bit of time with the bike completely flat out. 

Edited by Wintersdark
  • Thumbsup 2

1 hour ago, pmason718 said:

One other question are the turn signals the same that were in the FJ? Im pretty sure they are I’m asking bc I want to put the led turn signals from the Super Tenere or the MT-10 on it. 

Yes.  You can put the Tenere or MT-10 turn signals on it, but you'll need an electronic flasher too because the Tracer (and FJ) has incandescent bulbs and an old-school flasher.

15 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

Yes.  You can put the Tenere or MT-10 turn signals on it, but you'll need an electronic flasher too because the Tracer (and FJ) has incandescent bulbs and an old-school flasher.

Correct I remember that from when I had my 2015 FJ. Do you remember if it’s 2 left or 2 right signals I need to order? Also do I need some type of new grommet for the new turn signals I forgot that was a few years ago, thanks

Edited by pmason718

7 minutes ago, pmason718 said:

Correct I remember that from when I had my 2015 FJ. Do you remember if it’s 2 left or 2 right signals I need to order?

I've still got the stock signals on mine, but as far as I know you'd just order one of each?

20 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

I've still got the stock signals on mine, but as far as I know you'd just order one of each?

I just found my old notes on the forum. You have to order 2 left signals and I like the look of the LED ones vs the 1980 ones that come in the FJ and Tracer 

• Thumbsup 1

I'm so happy.  I like the FJ just the way it is.  OEM turn signals, OEM exhaust, OEM tail,  but not the windscreen, or the seat, or the drain plug.  I'm so happy that I installed electronic cruise control , skid plate, Sargent seat, my custom tail rack, and FJR bags.

• Thumbsup 2

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

3 hours ago, redfjniner said:

I'm so happy.  I like the FJ just the way it is.  OEM turn signals, OEM exhaust, OEM tail,  but not the windscreen, or the seat, or the drain plug.  I'm so happy that I installed electronic cruise control , skid plate, Sargent seat, my custom tail rack, and FJR bags.

Yeah I actually like the pumpkin turn signals myself.  I really like the running light functionality, and that I can see them blinking while riding because I can't see the dash indicator most of the time.  

7 hours ago, pmason718 said:

I just found my old notes on the forum. You have to order 2 left signals and I like the look of the LED ones vs the 1980 ones that come in the FJ and Tracer 

Why 2 left signals?  I get wanting to change them, though, and I imagine most people do so.