Tire Question

• Supporting Member
10 hours ago, Rick123 said:

Wanted something more off road oriented. Installed  new shoes yesterday. Combination of 70/30 Shinko 705 front and 70/30 Dunlop Trailsmart rear.

Thanks for the feedback. Both good options for what I will need. Heard good things about the Shinko 705, and they are inexpensive. Curious why you mixed tires/treads. The Dunlop looks more pavement friendly.

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

41 minutes ago, piotrek said:

Thanks for the feedback. Both good options for what I will need. Heard good things about the Shinko 705, and they are inexpensive. Curious why you mixed tires/treads. The Dunlop looks more pavement friendly.

No problem. As you said Shinko 705 front which is good on gravel and ashfalt (and inexpensive) and last 25000-30000km. I didn't want it on the rear because first (and definitely last one I had on V Strom) was good only for 14000km. Dunlop Trailsmart should be good for about 22000-25000km. I prefer front more aggressive because grip of the front on gravel is more important than on rear. Generally in my opinion matching front and rear is not important.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
9 minutes ago, Rick123 said:

I didn't want it on the rear because first (and definitely last one I had on V Strom) was good only for 14000km.

I figured a tire like that wouldn't last long on the FJ, especially the rear... but should be plenty to bum around in the north this season. Thanks again.

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

I'm currently mismatched on my Tracer GT, different tires but my logic is as long as the profile is about the same you should be OK.  I had the same logic - sticky hyper sport on the front and good sport touring on the rear.  Tracer is lighter on the front and wear should be about the same.  I'm about 3,000 to 3,500 miles in and so far good.  If they both wear out at the same time that will be fine with me.  Sometimes I get one front to last thru two rears but seems like it doesn't quite work out that way most of the time.

• 1 month later...
  • Supporting Member
3 minutes ago, Yamajank said:

So did anyone who got S22 feel like it raised the front just a little bit?  I should have measured before and after but got too excited to rip into the project. 

I would suppose that ANY new tire could feel slightly taller compared to a worn tire. However, I haven’t noticed any difference in perceived height using the S22.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***