Tire Question

I don't need tyres yet OEM`s are still fine but  do a fair bit of gravel roads and the  half mile up into my property is gravel.

I've ordered Conti TKC70 ,they worked well on my 1200 Super Ten and 650 Tenere `s.

Noise isn't a problem as my bike has a bloody noisy engine noise that's consistent with later Tracer 900`s.

I may see if there is a post on this 3-5 gear engine noise .

Yamaha says she`s fine ,so she is fine . earplugs fix every thing

• Premium Member
14 hours ago, piotrek said:

Good to know. I see that @fddriver2 is also happy with the new Dunlops. Is there anything in particular that you think RS4 does better than the RS3? I will be looking for a replacement soon. The RS3 was very good value for money.

Not yet. I've on had them on a short time. I was in NC for a short time a couple weeks ago and really didn't press them. I also went to Leesberg FL on them (straight flat roads no rain) 

In NC I only got to ride about 500 miles and about 4 maybe 5 of that on gravel and they gave me no reason to think about them. Same feel, good feedback. But like I said I wasn't really pushing anything. I guess I'm getting old.... 🤷‍♂️

• Thumbsup 1

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

I know, I know.  You say you can’t get a bad tire, but if I was choosing between Bridgestone S22, Bridgestone T32, and Roadsmart 3...which ones would you steer me toward.  Or does anyone say it’s worth the money to pop for Michelin or Pirelli?  I’m in the straightest most boring part of the globe, but I intend to take at least three trips a year to twisties and hopefully 2 track days.  And...go...please?

1 hour ago, Yamajank said:

I know, I know.  You say you can’t get a bad tire, but if I was choosing between Bridgestone S22, Bridgestone T32, and Roadsmart 3...which ones would you steer me toward.  Or does anyone say it’s worth the money to pop for Michelin or Pirelli?  I’m in the straightest most boring part of the globe, but I intend to take at least three trips a year to twisties and hopefully 2 track days.  And...go...please?

I’ve run them all and won’t put anything other than Michelin’s on. Unrivalled grip in the wet and last well. Always confident inspiring.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

I’ve ran just about every brand of tire on a motorcycle out there. On the FJ, I’ve exclusively ran Dunlop’s. For the last 15 years or so,  I average  around 25k miles a year on various bikes. Dunlop’s are affordable, last a long time, and perform well for me. 

• Thumbsup 2

Let’s go Brandon

Have been running the Michelin Roads since the Pilot Road 2 and always had good service with them.  Exception was my ZX6R 6363 came with S20s and I replaced the rear with an S21.  They did well in heavy rain and were OK in the wet and really surprised me for a hyper sport tire.  I always leave a little margin on the edge of the tire for insurance.  Made a mental error with he ZX6R and took it all the way to the edge of the tire and it just stuck!  Could have easily put my knee down.  Currently running a Michelin Pilot Power 5 front - think rain hyper sport - and a Road 5 rear.  Getting good life out of the rear - think it is about 7,000 miles including a recent trip to Topeka KS.  Thinking about what to get next and may give the Roadsmart IV a try.  I like to play in the corners when home but when on the road do a lot of straight and level to get to the fun parts.

I know Kansas has lots of straight roads but there are some curves also 🙂 three weeks ago went to Topeka on a 5 day trip and had a day there to relax.  Was going to do a ride around a lake near there which sounded like a very technical and challenging road.  Sorry don't remember the lake but can look it up if you are interested.  On a long trip I want good in the wet, good grip in the dry and longevity in that order.  Tires are expensive but I want one that is going to be there for me when I need to make that sudden evasive maneuver, brake at the limit or make a mistake.  On a long trip weather can be tough and I ride solo (all my friends 🙂 ) so want to avoid problems.  Haven't done much gravel with the Tracer but did some gravel roads with the F800GT and Michelin Road 5s with no problem.  Some of it was unintentional like the stretch of road that was being chip tarred or the section in South Dakota where the road turned to dirt!  That was pulse quickening!!!  Or the gravel streets in another SD town where they were resurfacing the streets and it had rained.  Sport bike tires are OK if you tailor your pace appropriately and ride for the conditions.  

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, Yamajank said:

I know, I know.  You say you can’t get a bad tire, but if I was choosing between Bridgestone S22, Bridgestone T32, and Roadsmart 3...which ones would you steer me toward.  Or does anyone say it’s worth the money to pop for Michelin or Pirelli?

I have used Bridgestone, Dunlop, Pirelli, Shinko and Michelin, I have nothing bad to say about any of them (the Shinko were decent, the rest were excellent) and wouldn't hesitate to buy them again or recommend them to a riding buddy.

Considering how well the Bridgestones work -for me- and they always offer a rebate allowing you to get a set for right around $200, I cant see myself paying double that for the Road 5's.  I have used the previous Pilot Roads and really liked them but they have just gotten too expensive for me since I go through 2-3 sets a year.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

17 hours ago, betoney said:

I have used Bridgestone, Dunlop, Pirelli, Shinko and Michelin, I have nothing bad to say about any of them (the Shinko were decent, the rest were excellent) and wouldn't hesitate to buy them again or recommend them to a riding buddy.

Considering how well the Bridgestones work -for me- and they always offer a rebate allowing you to get a set for right around $200, I cant see myself paying double that for the Road 5's.  I have used the previous Pilot Roads and really liked them but they have just gotten too expensive for me since I go through 2-3 sets a year.

I feel you're probably right in that you're going to get a good experience regardless using any major manufacturer and getting tires appropriate to your own riding style and environment.

I'm a big Road 5 fan, but if I could save $300 to get Bridgestones, I absolutely would.  

$200 for a set of tires.  That's insane.  I pay way more than that for a single front; a pair of Bridgestone T31's would run me $356 (which, admittedly, is still a lot cheaper than Road 5's) which are $450; but guys I ride with who use them don't get anywhere near the 15,000+kms I get, and I ride a lot harder than they do.  

Stupid cheap tires south of the border.  I'm just holding out for the borders to open again so I can get tires down there.  It'd seriously be cheaper to buy the rubber and have it installed on the bike than it is to buy tires up here and install them myself.

• Thumbsup 3

1 hour ago, Wintersdark said:

I feel you're probably right in that you're going to get a good experience regardless using any major manufacturer and getting tires appropriate to your own riding style and environment.

I'm a big Road 5 fan, but if I could save $300 to get Bridgestones, I absolutely would.  

$200 for a set of tires.  That's insane.  I pay way more than that for a single front; a pair of Bridgestone T31's would run me $356 (which, admittedly, is still a lot cheaper than Road 5's) which are $450; but guys I ride with who use them don't get anywhere near the 15,000+kms I get, and I ride a lot harder than they do.  

Stupid cheap tires south of the border.  I'm just holding out for the borders to open again so I can get tires down there.  It'd seriously be cheaper to buy the rubber and have it installed on the bike than it is to buy tires up here and install them myself.

Can still get T31s out of Montreal from Pete's Superbikes for a bit more than the exchange (around $290 + taxes & shipping). Dunno what the shipping would be to Calgary but to Ottawa (2 hours away) it's $20. Nowadays, many shops out east here match Pete's and Fortnine's prices...

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
On 4/29/2021 at 7:06 PM, Buggy Nate said:

I’ve run them all and won’t put anything other than Michelin’s on. Unrivalled grip in the wet and last well. Always confident inspiring.

+1 on the Michelin's! I ride in the wet Pacific Northwest, and the extra grip in the wet stuff is worth buying the Michelin's. I also find them to be a good all around tire, perform well in the twisties, good grip, confidence inspiring in all kinds of conditions. They are a bit pricey ~$500 for a pair, but it's all I use on my Tracer, or the FJ09 before it.

Wear life is the one downside, they aren't the longest lasting tire you can buy.

• Thumbsup 1

20 hours ago, iamthedruman said:

Can still get T31s out of Montreal from Pete's Superbikes for a bit more than the exchange (around $290 + taxes & shipping). Dunno what the shipping would be to Calgary but to Ottawa (2 hours away) it's $20. Nowadays, many shops out east here match Pete's and Fortnine's prices...

Yeah, basically everywhere just pricematches Fortnine now - I hadn't thought about Pete's, but they're cheaper at $300.  That's not beating exchange vs. @betoney's $200 sets, but it's by our standards a very good price. 

How do T31's compare to Road 5's in the rain?  Anyone have direct experience?

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
55 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

How do T31's compare to Road 5's in the rain?  Anyone have direct experience?

I haven't used the Road 5 but I got stuck in a horrific rain storm in Utah 2 years ago (infact we encountered rain storms in Nevada, Utah, Colorado-(rain and hail) and Wyoming on that trip) and I didn't have one issue with the T31's on the wet roads.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
54 minutes ago, Yamajank said:

I ordered S22s. If they’re good enough for @betoneyand @fjray, they’re good enough for me.  Rear is on back order and even then I might just wear the OEM to the bars, but I’ll update when I have them on.

I am currently using the T31's and have a set of S22's in the garage but since they were offering their $50 Spring rebate I had another set of S22's delivered yesterday.  That should get me through the end of the year.

• Thumbsup 1

On 4/25/2021 at 5:51 PM, piotrek said:

The Mutant peaked my interest... but the price 😒. I am spending time this season riding northern Ontario, with a pretty varied mix of road surfaces. A do-most tire would be great. Also looking at TKC70 Adventure just for this season.

It was time to replace original tires on my 2017 FJ09 after 20000km. Wanted something more off road oriented. Installed  new shoes yesterday. Combination of 70/30 Shinko 705 front and 70/30 Dunlop Trailsmart rear. Took her today for 600km test ride and so far must say I’m very pleased. Day and night. And specially on gravel roads.

1415EA01-9B8A-4BFC-9363-EF2084904D94.jpeg

184BF854-63D3-492A-A4BA-957C6B477352.jpeg

156541FD-833D-4FC7-B8D8-F279FCDE9DB3.jpeg

Edited by Rick123
  • Thumbsup 3