Hello

cwjb

Greetings. Awesome forum you've got here. I've been lurking for a few weeks and I just picked up a 2020 with about 700 miles on it. I got it home and did an oil change, chain adjustment, set the front and rear sag and put the other suspension adjustments in the middle. Then I went about getting it to fit me. I got all I could out of the seat raising mod thanks to that great thread and a couple tweaks of my own. Then I put on some lowering pegs and some bar risers that I had laying around that happened to fit. I've got 34" legs with 66 year old knees on them so the seat to peg measurement is the most important on the bike. I don't hate the seat but I still wish it was a little flatter. The mods should keep me happy until I get another seat. Seat Concepts has been my go to  but they don't offer a tall one for this bike. Some folks say that it feels higher than the stocker so I'll probably order one of those. 

Then I took it out for a couple hundred miles. Wow. What an awesome bike. Had it up to 100 mph and it felt fine. Very stable. Took it on some gravel and was pretty happy there too. Nothing too serious, just your average crappy gravel road-washboard, potholes and a little deeper stuff. 40 to 50 mph and it was all good. No complaints about the handling, suspension or fueling. But then I never could leave well enough alone. 

• Thumbsup 9

Thanx. I tried uploading a pic but it says   " only allowed so many kb". Just a phone pic so I don't know what the problem is. 

Something for the new owners to check-  I thought that I went over the bike pretty well when I got it home but apparently I didn't check the torque on the bolts that hold the handguards onto the bars. I lost them and the spacers.

Welcome, I agree it's a great bike.  I just added a Bagster seat which is a little wide and flat but also a bit taller.  I know about having 66 yo knees but only have a 32" inseam.  IMO it is a great combination of touring, sporty and engine power in a relatively light weight package. 

Thanx for the reply. Does the bagster address the seat sloping down in front issue? I think I've gotten about every millimeter I can out of the seat slope mod- up about 6mm at the tank and down a little in back- but it's still a bit much for me. Seat Concepts specifically addresses that but they say their wait time is 8 to 10 weeks. 

With the AirHawk it hasn't been an issue for me.  Thinking back to riding the one day without the AirHawk it may have a little slope but was not bad - I also had the duffle bag too close behind me which forced me a little bit forward.  Next day I repacked everything and used the AirHawk and had no issues.  

Like I said earlier the easiest I've every done a near 600 mile day.  LOL did 600 miles in July from Sarasota FL to Birmingham, AL on my 2014 ZX6R 636.  Now that was painful but better than the 2012 CBR600RR with a Sargent seat!  By the end of the day needed to stop every 70 or 80 miles and 145 miles was the most I ever did in one stretch.  

Yeah 600 is a long day -especially with a bad seat. Never really cared for sargents and this one doesn't look like it would be any better. 

On your bagster, what position did you have it in? Did you raise the front?

On 4/26/2021 at 5:35 PM, cwjb said:

Thanx. I tried uploading a pic but it says   " only allowed so many kb". Just a phone pic so I don't know what the problem is. 

Something for the new owners to check-  I thought that I went over the bike pretty well when I got it home but apparently I didn't check the torque on the bolts that hold the handguards onto the bars. I lost them and the spacers.

The forum has a max size of 11.72MB which is decent but modern phone pics are larger than that (not by a lot). One easy trick to get a smaller version is to take a screenshot on the phone while looking at the pic, the resulting picture is a lot smaller and you get a menu where it is easy to crop it as well (on an iphone at least).

Losing the handguard bolts comes up often here. They are under-torqued by many dealers it seems. But losing both at the same time? You must really have put that bike to the test on that gravel road. Well done! 😎

• Thumbsup 2

Many thanks to petshark. Now I'll be able to post pix. 

On the subject of hand guards- probably my biggest disappointment so far is the fact that I won't be able to put Barkbusters on this bike. It's usually one of the first things I do when I get a bike. They've saved my hand controls several times. I also like the fact that I can take the plastic off in the summer and still have that big fat aluminum bar protecting things. 

Any suggestions on something else?

Screenshot_20210504-192322_Gallery.jpg

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, cwjb said:

On the subject of hand guards- probably my biggest disappointment so far is the fact that I won't be able to put Barkbusters on this bike.

Why cant you use Bark buster hand guards?  Many members here have used them.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Nobody is showing an application for the 2 point mount for this bike. They show one for a single point mount that goes into the end of the bars but I don't know that it would be any stronger than what we have now.