Engine break-in: first oil change

cy685

FWIW I got home from the dealer on my 19 that I bought in late 20 and changed the oil after that first 90 miles or so. Like @betoney said, the oil was full of flakes. Oil is cheap. I changed it again at about 300, still using dino oil. Again, appreciable flakes. At my 600 mile change I went with Motul 7100 synthetic. Fortnine has a review of the manufacturing debris found in new engines. I think it was Fortnine. Surprisingly, as I recall, the Royal Enfield was quite clean, like the Japanese bikes. BMW was dirty. HD was dirty. Chinese bikes are made with sand and gravel for oil. And I bet if they tested the Italian bikes, Aprilia and Guzzi in particular, that they would find not only debris from manufacturing, but wrenches, cigarette butts and wine bottle corks in the first change oil...🤪

• Haha 2

OH NO!  It's not good enough 🙂 

You need .....  

Seriously though IMO changing the oil regularly and in the specified interval is more important that what oil is used - as long as the oil meets specs.  Getting the engine up to operating temperature before heavy loads and high RPMs is very important.  If you are cranking the bike and immediately running it to the rev limiter then doesn't matter what oil is in there if it hasn't had time to get to where it is needed.  

• Thumbsup 3

Did my first change at 119 miles, didn't notice anything in my oil other than oil. Surprised to see anyone run a FRAM on their bike, sorry but they are absolute garbage filters......and that isn't just my opinion. 

On 5/25/2021 at 8:45 PM, Skidood said:

I'm going to be changing my oil in a few days, odo 645 miles , will post my observations.

oil was dirty..surprise surprise.  EXACTLY 2.7 litres to fill up to the high mark after letting it drain for a good hour

On 5/24/2021 at 2:34 PM, TomTracer said:

IMO, waste of time if you are not completely anal!

I guess im anal,,,my view glass was  black when I got the bike home from dealer ,didn't smell burned just looked like crap,,I dumped it around 300 miles,,I will dump it again around 1500 depending on how it looks ,after that routine changes ,,oil is cheap, Rotella goes for bout $5 a quart ,, cheap piece of mind

Edited by Bill H

I hear ya Bill. Never felt the need over a lifetime on lots of bikes  and hundreds of K miles. Rotella is decent stuff. Just voicing an opinion, not up to me, its up to each of us. Whatever you do, ride safely!