• Supporting Member

Got in a couple of hours today as temps were high 40's. Very happy with the Powerbronze screen now that it's 2 inches shorter (see post above). I can see over the screen and still let my helmet visor open doing 70 on the highway.  I wasn't able to tell if there was less noise as I had a balaclava on under the Shoei helmet. Also this was my first ride with the SW-Motech City tank bag installed. I was expecting it to get in the way but I didn't even notice it once I got going. Tomorrow will be cleaning day, I didn't see any real bad spots on the road which you would expect this time of the year.

Not having been out in a few weeks I got the menus mixed up. Heated grips were on three and were way too hot. I adjusted them and they didn't cool down. When I looked down I had changed into mode 1 instead of heated grip level one. Another reason to get out more. 😆

• Thumbsup 1

• 5 months later...
  • Supporting Member
On 6/25/2022 at 1:40 PM, NikenSwe said:

Been trying out different spacers in different positions. So far by far the best results was adding a few mm spacers on the upper screws on the stock GT screen. Still turbulent air but it hits only the top of my helmet. 

Since I can't get any kind of reasonable airflow with the other screen I'm going to try and cut off a few centimeters from it and see if I can at least get some clean non-turbulent air that way. 

What did you end up doing here?  I'm thinking of switching to short screen for summer.  

2019 Niken GT
"Motorcycles - the brand is not important, the fact that you ride is."

• 2 weeks later...

I have had horrible noise and buffeting with the stock GT windscreen.  I realized how amazingly quiet and calm it was when I removed the windscreen entirely; I figured that the screen was redirecting the windflow entirely to / under my helmet.  I'm not particularly mechanically inclined, so I didn't have the courage to do any of the bike mods that Max showed in his posts, and took the least resistant path of purchasing the Powerbronze, since this fit onto the existing GT mounts.  I ordered both the short and the long models.

These looked well constructed, and while I am sure that they work well for some, they did not for me.  The shorter screen created a heck of a lot of turbulence against my neck, so much so that it stung from my beard slapping up against it (or was it my hair? both are long).  It was also incredibly loud with quite a bit of ear pressure.  The longer screen just basically tied my (head) hair into a knot, and while I didn't have beard self-assault, it was equally noisy. I'm not sure if part of my bad experience is the wind coming int through the space between the bike and windscreen?  Any which way, I'm not particularly happy with either screens.

I'd live to ride with no screen, since that felt great, but the issue I have are the bugs!  There are so many and they splatter all over the front where the windscreen otherwise protects, getting deep into the crevices in the front of the bike.  I wish I could cover the area with something flush and removable - some clear or black cover, for instance - but I can't think of anything designed for / like this.

Maybe I'll head to the Yamaha dealership nearby.  In the meantime, does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

20230712_220653.jpg

20230713_202259.jpg

20230712_232716.jpg

• Thanks 1

@dpw818 sounds like the small bikini screen from the 1st gen Niken (non GT) will suit you, if you prefer no screen. You’ll need:

• BD5-2831T-00 support stay
  • BD5-28381-00 windscreen
  • 90150-05024 screw, round head (x4)
  • 90179-05003 nut (x4)

I have an original Niken with the stock bikini screen, and an optional tall screen (which is the same as the standard GT screen). Experienced the same issue as yourself, and prefer the airflow and lower noise of the bikini. 

• Thumbsup 1

Fantastic, I really appreciate this info!  I'll give it a shot.  Do you know if it vastly reduces the wind noise & pressure, or eliminate it as if there's no screen?  And, why / how it would work when the short Powerbronze GT screen didn't?

• Supporting Member
On 7/14/2023 at 8:15 PM, dpw818 said:

I have had horrible noise and buffeting with the stock GT windscreen..... and took the least resistant path of purchasing the Powerbronze, since this fit onto the existing GT mounts.  I ordered both the short and the long models.

These looked well constructed, and while I am sure that they work well for some, they did not for me.  The shorter screen created a heck of a lot of turbulence against my neck, so much so that it stung from my beard slapping up against it (or was it my hair? both are long).  It was also incredibly loud with quite a bit of ear pressure.  The longer screen just basically tied my (head) hair into a knot, and while I didn't have beard self-assault, it was equally noisy. I'm not sure if part of my bad experience is the wind coming int through the space between the bike and windscreen?  Any which way, I'm not particularly happy with either screens.  In the meantime, does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Look back on this thread to see where I added spacers to the bottom of the screen to change it's angle, this improved the Powerbronze a lot for me. Also try moving up and down on the bike with the tall PowerBronze screen on? I went from sitting low to sitting up really straight till I found the least turbulence and ended up cutting my screen, and now feel it is a close to perfect as it can be. Cutting the screen is really easy. There are many tutorials on you-tube.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dpw818 said:

Fantastic, I really appreciate this info!  I'll give it a shot.  Do you know if it vastly reduces the wind noise & pressure, or eliminate it as if there's no screen?  And, why / how it would work when the short Powerbronze GT screen didn't?

@dpw818 the bikini screen sits just 4cm above the instrument cluster. For me it’s enough to stop that chest pressure ‘parachute effect’ feeling, but doesn’t stop clean airflow around the helmet. So whilst it’s not silent, it’s regular laminar wind noise (like having no screen) and not that awful booming turbulence of the tall screen.

35140AB1-D994-411E-B9B7-0A2FFE215D6B.thumb.jpeg.5f207ce1286974c9e5937b6ea6e0f309.jpeg

P.S. I have no experience with the Powerbronze or other aftermarket screens unfortunately.

Edited by someguy
  • Thumbsup 1

• 6 months later...
  • Supporting Member

Saw this windscreen maker that I've not heard of before. While they make adjustable windscreens for Yamaha FJ and MTs I think they could potentially fit the Nikens. 

Anyone have experience with the Madstad windscreens?

https://madstad.com/collections/fj-models/products/yamaha-fj-09-2015-up

IMG_8240.jpeg

2019 Niken GT
"Motorcycles - the brand is not important, the fact that you ride is."

• Supporting Member
7 hours ago, maximNikenGT said:

Saw this windscreen maker that I've not heard of before. While they make adjustable windscreens for Yamaha FJ and MTs I think they could potentially fit the Nikens. 

Did you see on the website they offer free screens to those who bring in a  motorcycle model they don't have yet. Maybe you could ride down there? 😁

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1