• Supporting Member

Wanted to create a thread on windscreen options for the Niken. Folks appear to fall into 3 camps:

1. Owners ok with stock Niken and stock GT (taller)  windscreens,
  2. Owners wanting a more streamlined wind flow:

2a. Streamlined flow of wind onto the rider (e.g. Smaller/lowered angle of windscreen), ex. custom lowered angle of wind screen 

2b. Streamlined flow of wind over / around the rider (e.g, more protective bubble surrounding the rider, taller / wider screen). Ex.     Puig, Givi, California Scientific and screens (see links below respectively). 

Puig windscreen link:

logo.png

6554b6be8c0d829a8bf63ae0c82cf121_link.pn Touring Windshield with Visor for motorcycle Yamaha NIKEN 2019 - Motoplastic PUIG

Discover more about our product: Touring Windshield with Visor for...
Givi windscreen link:
givi.d2144st_1.jpg

6554b6be8c0d829a8bf63ae0c82cf121_link.pn GIVI D2143KIT Windscreen Fitting Kit | Yamaha Niken 900

Enhance riding comfort, airflow, and coverage with this D2144ST...

California Scientific windscreen (tallest one available):

2a. Homegrown solution 

A10DF69C-3A12-4BE4-8769-8BDB79BDF6E1.jpeg

2019 Niken GT
"Motorcycles - the brand is not important, the fact that you ride is."

I found the standard gt screen to be ok but created a lot of wind noise around my helmet .I've added an extension which does improve things a little .I will retro fit something at a later date to remove the wind noise .My forerunner had a givi airflow which was brilliant .I've also had great results with powerhouse screens in the past .

• Thumbsup 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Supporting Member

New split level Powerblade windscreen from the UK by PowerBronze. 

https://www.powerbronze.co.uk/yamaha-niken-gt-18-20-480-y106.html

IMG_2399.png

Edited by maximNikenGT
Updated dead link

2019 Niken GT

I have the powerblade on my 2015 Tracer. It’s okay, but none of the variations of top screen size (it comes with tall and short), screen angle or screen height really work well. I had to fit one of the little adjustable aerofoils on the top lip to make it acceptable. I was hoping for the “one screen to rule them all”, that would allow me to adjust for seasons and road type (cold motorways or narrow lane summer twisties), but it turns out to be “one screen that doesn’t work well at all”.

To be fair, I don’t have a lot of mileage with it yet, but it’s not a cheap screen. I also think I was too optimistic and the perfect screen doesn’t seem to exist. It does have the advantage of easy adjustability, but that just gives lots of ways to make it worse.

There was a discount voucher on here somewhere if you’re thinking of purchasing.

• Thumbsup 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

1 hour ago, BBB said:

It does have the advantage of easy adjustability, but that just gives lots of ways to make it worse.

This statement made me laugh.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Supporting Member

Look up the 'Transparent Adjustable Clip On Windshield Extension Air Spoiler Wind Deflector' on eBay. I just added one to the stock windscreen on my FJ-09 and it was a huge improvement after I got it adjusted right. For $22 and free shipping it's a hell of a deal. It's got a lot of plastic parts but if it fails I may go for the more expensive 'Puig Clip-On Windscreen Visor' which is about $114.

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, Heli ATP said:

if it fails I may go for the more expensive 'Puig Clip-On Windscreen Visor' which is about $114.

I have both the cheap eBay deflector and the overpriced MRA "sport' deflector, I MUCH prefer the eBay deflector.  It has a larger screen area, the screen itself is much thicker, works better and is 5x cheaper.  If you search a bit, the eBay deflectors are available in a few different dimensions, the larger being more suited for a wider touring screen.   I am more than impressed with the eBay deflector for the price.

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I fitted a Puig Screen. Much better than stock small screen for me . Good protection in rain and turbulence forces water down off my helmet visor.  I had a Puig screen on my Tracer before and that why I went with the same :)

20210414_115804.jpg

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Switchglide12 said:

I am looking for windshield for my Niken GT. OEM windshield buffeting like crazy so I am looking for shorter windshield like the ones in Regular Niken. If anyone selling one let me know please

Just remember if you want to switch over to any screens that fit the standard Niken you'll need to change out the windshield stay. Not difficult or expensive but required for the non-GT screens to fit.

I'm happy with the way the Givi screen works for me.

Ermax makes a nice looking low screen too.

ermax-motorcycle-windshield-sport-screen

ermax-motorcycle-windshield-sport-screen

• Thumbsup 3

Thanks for the excellent feed back. I do have the Clip on Windshield but doing 70-80 mph it shakes so bad, that my OEM windshield cracked tad bit. If I take the clip on off buffeting is so bad,  I can't even hear myself talking. When I do stand up on the pegs noise disappears. I think I will order  Give KD2121S as per jetpilot5's suggestion. I will up date once I receive the new windshield. 

• Thumbsup 1

• 3 weeks later...

I was out on a run yesterday 250 plus miles and my pillion complained that the wind noise was the worst she had encountered on any bike as pillion .I decided to the remove the gt screen and the wind noise for the pillion disappeared .

11 hours ago, Ferrett847 said:

I was out on a run yesterday 250 plus miles and my pillion complained that the wind noise was the worst she had encountered on any bike as pillion .I decided to the remove the gt screen and the wind noise for the pillion disappeared .

Did you replace it with different kind of windshield?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Supporting Member

Wanted to test out the buffeting that everyone was referring to. I've got a Schuberth c3 Pro helmet and at 65 mph on my local freeway I rode for about 30 seconds to get a sense of what stock buffeting sounds like behind my stock GT screen (I'm six foot tall). I then stood up on my foot pegs into the uninterrupted air flow and was amazed at how much quieter it was. Now I understand  just how loud  the buffeting is on the Niken.

Stock niken GT and Niken windscreen photos: 

So now my problem becomes:

A. go with the smaller screen and get a quieter ride due to the reduced buffeting and decrease my protection when it's cold / wet, or

B. get a larger/different shaped screen that will come close to approximating the quiet of no windscreen. 

Most of my riding now is more long distance solo or  two up occasionally with my lady. No commuting duties. 

May take a closer look at the Puig because I plan to do an Iron Butt on the Niken GT some day. 

Anyone actually tested the California Scientific screens? https://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Nikenprod.html

California scientific touring screens (3):

DADBFB98-7B54-43FC-B943-551788DE59E3.jpeg

EBFBD4FA-21A4-4D86-9768-23F330897D5A.jpeg

16AA8783-BE9F-45FA-ACE6-FF6C27E3BB5A.png

799B16FF-6548-4803-A3DC-A543F8ECEA5B.png

A93B6CCB-B92E-4E93-A233-832C424C7750.png

2019 Niken GT