• Supporting Member

Anyone ever put their Niken in a wind tunnel?

Would be fascinated to see how the aerodynamics of the Niken behave in a wind tunnel test.  

2019 Niken GT
"Motorcycles - the brand is not important, the fact that you ride is."

I ordered 2 screens, one is Puig 35 CM in dark smoke short screen. Another one is Givi KD2121S smoke tint, this is much larger screen. Puig will be here this weekend. Givi is coming from Italy. Givi sent tracking about week ago hopefully it will show up soon. Once I receive it I will post my personal opinion on both.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
On 6/5/2021 at 9:28 AM, Ferrett847 said:

I was out on a run yesterday 250 plus miles and my pillion complained that the wind noise was the worst she had encountered on any bike as pillion .I decided to the remove the gt screen and the wind noise for the pillion disappeared .

Good to know. If I hadn't done my stand up on my foot pegs test I wouldn't have thought to consider how loud the ride might be for my passenger.  Did you end up with a screen that you liked that worked for you and passenger?

2019 Niken GT

• 2 weeks later...
  • Supporting Member

Stumbled across this airflow simulation on Niken GT with Puig windscreen while surfing the Puig website

• Thanks 1

2019 Niken GT

• Supporting Member
On 5/18/2021 at 9:41 AM, jetpilot5 said:

Just remember if you want to switch over to any screens that fit the standard Niken you'll need to change out the windshield stay. Not difficult or expensive but required for the non-GT screens to fit.

I'm happy with the way the Givi screen works for me.

Ermax makes a nice looking low screen too.

ermax-motorcycle-windshield-sport-screen

ermax-motorcycle-windshield-sport-screen

Looked up Ermax and saw that it was a French company. They also have taller windscreens for the non GT Nikens. 

https://www.ermax.com/high_protection_windshield_.html?egap=article&ida=8679

2019 Niken GT

• Supporting Member
On 6/17/2021 at 1:05 PM, Switchglide12 said:

I ordered 2 screens, one is Puig 35 CM in dark smoke short screen. Another one is Givi KD2121S smoke tint, this is much larger screen. Puig will be here this weekend. Givi is coming from Italy. Givi sent tracking about week ago hopefully it will show up soon. Once I receive it I will post my personal opinion on both.

Did the screens arrive yet? Any updates?

2019 Niken GT

What I find annoying is that you can't find concrete dimensions for the variety of screens.  For example:

NIKEN Tall Windscreen
BD5-F83J0-V0-00
  • 235mm taller than the stock NIKEN windscreen
  • 60mm taller than stock NIKEN GT windscreen

I'm sorry, but I don't see how 6cm is going to stop the buffeting; especially for the pillion rider.  Then, Puig says that their touring screen is 300mm taller than the stock NIKEN windscreen.  That means, without the visor, it'd be 6.5cm taller than the 3rd "tallest" option from Yamaha.  So the Puig would be like 12.5cm taller than the stock GT screen if my calculations are correct.  If the visor on the Puig is solid, and I suspect the drilled visor is the better option, it allegedly gives you yet another 9-10cm of height depending on which size fits on the Puig touring screen for the Niken.  Now we're talking about up to 22.5cm of extra height and that's not even lateral protection.  I'd have to imagine that this would be amongst the most coverage.  The question is if it makes the Niken look ridiculous?  I don't feel like the visors are aesthetically pleasing, but at 75mph the buffeting on the stock Niken GT screen was insane compared to the stock touring screen on my Vulcan.  God help the pillion rider at highway speeds with the stock GT screen.

Edited by Merculis
  • Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
On 8/2/2021 at 11:47 PM, Merculis said:

What I find annoying is that you can't find concrete dimensions for the variety of screens.  For example:

NIKEN Tall Windscreen
BD5-F83J0-V0-00
  • 235mm taller than the stock NIKEN windscreen
  • 60mm taller than stock NIKEN GT windscreen

I'm sorry, but I don't see how 6cm is going to stop the buffeting; especially for the pillion rider.  Then, Puig says that their touring screen is 300mm taller than the stock NIKEN windscreen.  That means, without the visor, it'd be 6.5cm taller than the 3rd "tallest" option from Yamaha.  So the Puig would be like 12.5cm taller than the stock GT screen if my calculations are correct.  If the visor on the Puig is solid, and I suspect the drilled visor is the better option, it allegedly gives you yet another 9-10cm of height depending on which size fits on the Puig touring screen for the Niken.  Now we're talking about up to 22.5cm of extra height and that's not even lateral protection.  I'd have to imagine that this would be amongst the most coverage.  The question is if it makes the Niken look ridiculous?  I don't feel like the visors are aesthetically pleasing, but at 75mph the buffeting on the stock Niken GT screen was insane compared to the stock touring screen on my Vulcan.  God help the pillion rider at highway speeds with the stock GT screen.

Only site I've run across  that does justice in terms of providing useful measurements. 

https://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Nikenprod.html

But if one were to buy the extra large screen option for the Niken I suspect that it would look ridiculously big. 

2019 Niken GT

• Supporting Member

Just took delivery of a Givi D2144ST windscreen and accompanying D2143 mounting kit to upgrade my windscreen on my 2019 Niken GT.  I kit my bike with long distance touring in mind which is why I chose this screen vs the shorter windscreens  from Ermax or Powerbronze. 

Initial reactions upon unwrapping, nice screen, definitely wider and taller than the stock GT screen. The additional width and height of the screen appears to want to shield the rider a bit better from the elements. Brackets are nice and beefy metal with all included rubber bushings and metal bolts needed for assembly. Givi instruction illustrations  are excellent as usual. 

Am planning on doing a baseline wind noise and buffeting check with stock screen, then, no screen, and then with new screen to compare. 

What is interesting is the decal indicating a max speed of 130kph (~81mph) along with caution to ride at moderate speeds in case of strong winds. Not sure if there is a concern of some kind that the windscreen isn't designed for autobahn speeds e.g. Will it rattle apart at sustained speeds above 81mph, of if the taller and wider Givi windscreen acts more like a wing above certain speeds and might cause front end lift?

572B3412-9B51-4364-85D1-BC11131C5269.jpeg

ABC3D0DF-5F05-45E2-8E66-A61C2922E95D.jpeg

AF61884F-3B62-4A62-9E9E-DB5AB76A2CEF.jpeg

F4D8DF64-9605-4A9D-B656-1CA0D10ABA8E.jpeg

9363AA4E-C2E3-4093-BE87-DC72EA208A4C.jpeg

65513658-0418-45ED-8373-147D49281D68.jpeg

2019 Niken GT

• Supporting Member

Here's what the Givi screen looks like compared to the stock GT screen. Taller and wider.  

Note: I suspect Givi adds the black cosmetic coloring at the bottom of the screen to reduce the effects of the windscreen looking too cartoony on the Niken. If this didn't have the black towards the bottom to make it look more "weighted" visually, I am positive that a clear version of this screen would look a little too much on the front end.  

Also there is a warning that in case of sun exposure the sun rays on the inner curvature of the screen may cause a lens effect. As such, Givi advises against parking anywhere in direct sunlight and to at least cover the parts directly exposed.  Not sure if heavy sunlight causes discoloration of the acrylic used in the windscreen or if it might have a magnifying glass effect at certain angles that could inadvertently spark a fire in the ground. 

69592B66-ED02-4C90-AD56-37B7E3593876.jpeg

FFBBE437-A7E8-4EEC-B9A8-CE5BAC65D48E.jpeg

1D0AF0C0-EC58-41C4-9349-FA5308A4A8C0.jpeg

3ACF9788-9AA8-4D97-9973-F423C9ADE1D2.jpeg

2019 Niken GT

14 minutes ago, maximNikenGT said:

65513658-0418-45ED-8373-147D49281D68.jpeg

I must admit that it's always disconcerting to see this "Max 130 Km/h" warning on all Niken accessories (top case, saddlebags, screens).  Obviously, they won't disintegrate at 131 Km/h.  I just wish these things were rated to, at least, 145 Km/h.  I hit 80-85 MPH too often to not care.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

Almost 17 inches wide when viewing the lip from the inside. Compared to stock GT screen it seems massive enough to protect the pillion rider too.  I'm curious if I'm going to take  a significant hit on fuel economy with this on. Will add that to my wind tests. 

Also curious if the black paint dimpling on the windscreen underside affects aerodynamic flow in a positive way, or if it helps reduce condensation, or if it's just purely cosmetic. 

6342088F-0DA4-458F-8513-53930E97E26A.jpeg

C7B68ACA-05C9-43C4-875F-91AD77609EFD.jpeg

ECF5BFBA-191A-4A83-B137-E810971C406F.jpeg

98367579-7BC0-4BA6-B334-F1C696438676.jpeg

2019 Niken GT

• Supporting Member

From the Givi Italy site https://www.givi.it/my-motorcycle/product/yamaha/niken-gt-900-19--20/optionals/d2144st

16.5 cm higher than original is almost 6.5 inches difference in windscreen height.  Pretty substantial height difference compared to stock. 

87463918-11A0-42A3-AB1B-9AAD2FDFE3F7.png

2019 Niken GT

• Supporting Member

Need some help please. Anyone have any suggestions on how to safely disconnect these connectors? They're putting up one hell of a fight - must be some techniques or tool to separate it safely. 

Have to disconnect this in order to remove the OEM GT windscreen mounting bracket. 

4F47E6E1-F349-44F2-99D6-D1D8F414A118.jpeg

92EBAAA4-F590-429C-9659-542A8E66B451.jpeg

B88D32D2-B78E-46C6-9FEE-B061B686A290.jpeg

E70E4486-E8EC-41A2-A1D9-22C618D79F8E.jpeg

80EC8BD7-26FE-4F29-893B-0315A403FBDD.jpeg

5ADEC46C-DDA2-4D05-8768-5D91F9F8D818.jpeg

2019 Niken GT