I don't think I love my Tracer

I had CBR600RR followed by a 2014 Kawasaki ZX6R 636 - probably my favorite bike.   Traded for a BMW F800GT to do some touring.  Did some incredible long trips on that bike but traded for my 2020 Tracer GT.  While the BMW was vey competent the engine lacked the character and power I was used to.  My ZX6R ripped but took some work as power was a t higher RPM but sounded so good!  The explosive nature of high RPM performance in 1st and 2nd was a blast.  My Tracer GT is something of a blend between the two bikes, relatively light and nimble and will drop into a turn like the 600s, has a great engine sound and yet is capable of a 6,000+ mile trip.  With my BMW got to where I just wasn't riding it that much other than long trips, without the sidecases the Tracer is a fun local ride and even when just loafing along love the engine note but nothing is like running the ZX6R to it's 16,000 RPM.  Downside is every LEO within hearing knows.

• Premium Member
18 hours ago, frosky said:

Lately though, I'm really thinking of downsizing. I find myself wanting a smaller, lighter, simpler ride, that I can flog on the street or just putter around if I wanted. I've now got the twin cylinder itch and I'm seriously considering moving on from the Tracer

Ducati Monster or Triumph Street Triple.  Modern tech.  NOT beginner bikes but sooooo much more refined than the MT07.  Better suspension.  Better electronics.  You said cost was a major factor and both of these can be bought for < $15k.

And there is a HUGE difference between a boxer, parallel, or V-twin.  I love the feel of a Ducati, but parallel twins do nothing for me.  I will never own another one and would probably stop riding if that's the only motor I could buy.  Maybe the KTMs are better, but the multiple Kawasakis twins I've ridden did nothing for me as soon as I started riding bikes with more cylinders.  I really wanted to like BMW's boxer street bikes, but I couldn't get into them in spite of having probably 1000 miles on rented or borrowed ones.

5 hours ago, fddriver2 said:

You bought a bike. You didn't marry it. If it isn't what you thought or was looking for,  move on. Time is the most valuable commodity, none of us know how much we have left, no matter the age. Find the one that puts a smile on your face and ride it.... Oh. That applies to bikes too. 😉

Just my $.02 and worth what you paid for it.   

And lets be real here: Who doesn't love going and buying a new motorcycle?  

I mean, I like my Tracer a whole lot.  It's awesome.  If I had a bigger budget, though, I'd probably have gone for a 1200GS or some such.  As it stands, I loved my MT07 in ways I don't love the Tracer, but the Tracer is much more comfortable and appropriately sized for me.  Like anything motorcycle, though, I believe you'll never find The One True Bike, but rather just find bikes that tick enough boxes... or own multiple bikes that tick particular boxes extremely well.  The Tracer is the former for me: It's an excellent bike that's fun to ride and has the geometry and features I want with the style of engine I enjoy, but there's sacrifices made in various ways that are incompatible with each other.  For example, I'd prefer it to be 100lbs lighter, I'd like more top end speed, more storage in the cases, but also sleeker cases, a better windshield and no windshield.  ~shrugs~  

Buy a bike, ride it, have fun.  If you find something better, trade it in and do that instead :)  It's hard to know really what you want until you've owned and ridden many bikes over many, many miles.  

• Thumbsup 1

On 5/8/2021 at 7:26 AM, fjray said:

I'm surprised that the Tracer is roomier than the Ninja. Two bikes is about a must I've concluded.

Yes, the Ninja is still pretty comfortable and I have done some touring with it but it has less leg room and the bars are a bit lower in comparison to the Tracer.  

Two things that immediately attracted me to the Tracer are the upright riding position, leg room and light weight.  The Ninja is 514 pounds curb weight and that is without the luggage in place.  But it somehow manages to feel more on the sport side of the sport touring equation than the Tracer.

• Thumbsup 1

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

4 hours ago, johnmark101 said:

Yes, the Ninja is still pretty comfortable and I have done some touring with it but it has less leg room and the bars are a bit lower in comparison to the Tracer.  

Two things that immediately attracted me to the Tracer are the upright riding position, leg room and light weight.  The Ninja is 514 pounds curb weight and that is without the luggage in place.  But it somehow manages to feel more on the sport side of the sport touring equation than the Tracer.

Yeah, the Ninja feels more sport-bike.   I suspect that's more the I4 + sportier riding position, really - the less upright posture, narrower, lower bars, and less leg room.  

I prefer the CP3 for day to day riding, though.  It's less refined for sure, but more grunty and fun.

2 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

Yeah, the Ninja feels more sport-bike.   I suspect that's more the I4 + sportier riding position, really - the less upright posture, narrower, lower bars, and less leg room.  

I prefer the CP3 for day to day riding, though.  It's less refined for sure, but more grunty and fun.

Overall I prefer the Tracer as well.  Very capable of apex hunting and much more comfortable for repeated long days in the saddle. 

But my Ninja has way more low and midrange grunt than my Tracer.  Both have reflashed ECU's by the same tuner.  The Ninja makes over 140 horsepower and around 80 foot pounds with great low end and mid range thrust.  Don't get me wrong though, as I think the CP3 motor is brilliant and has more than enough power.  I love the way it rips all the way to the redline and never feels strained.  But that long stroke Ninja motor, especially the 2011 ~ 2013 is a real beast.  In 2014 they changed the camshafts and less gains could be made with tuning.

Dyno Run.gif

Edited by johnmark101
  • Thumbsup 1

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

Interesting.  My riding buddy has a 2016 I think, stock engine and tune, dunno if he's changed his gearing though.  My Tracer is straight up faster off the line, and I have about 80lbs of extra body weight on it (though I've also gone up two teeth on the rear sprocket, for more low end grunt and it turns out a higher top speed).  I'd probably lose at the high end, but he's one of those motorcyclists, all responsible and all, not wanting to do 3x posted speed limits on public roads.  And obviously if he's not into doing that on his bike, it's certainly not my place to.  But yeah, my Tracer jumps off the line quite a bit faster.  

Curious.

I wonder if there's just something wrong with his?