My Madstad screen came in...

CRFan250

So this weekend my Madstad 24" screen came in and I installed it yesterday without issue.  For reference, I am 5'11" and have a 32" inseam so I opted for the 24" screen.  After I installed it I went on a good test ride and tried every height and angle that I could and with great disappointment, I just couldn't get it to work.  It cut the noise down by maybe 50% but I experienced buffeting at anything over 65 mph and it was a calm day.  I use a Shoei GT Air II helmet.  Bottom line is I didn't really like it and the benefit versus how it looked was not worth it to me.

So....I took it off and went back to the stock screen with the puig wind deflector and I am gonna call it done.  With this set up I actually get ZERO buffeting but a fair amount of wind noise above 65mph.  However with ear plugs its actually very very liveable and I like the way it looks.  Guess I must be one of the few who don't like the madstad but that's ok by me.  I had to try it and see....

Edited by CRFan250
Spelling
  • Thumbsup 1

Sorry to hear you didn't like your Madstad. 

I'm just curious, have you ever tried the Tracer /FJ with no screen at all? It sounds counter intuitive, but honestly I preferred no screen to OEM screen. Never tried a deflector though. I ended up settling on a CalSci Tinted Shorty. 

• Thumbsup 2

'15 FJ09

I did also try the Puig short race screen but honestly it was noisy too and the upright seating position would be tough at highway speeds.  I think the mirrors are a big source of the noise.  How is the cal sci shorty?  Honestly, the stock screen with the puig wind deflector is pretty good  It reduce any buffeting to zero but if you are taking a longer ride, then ear plugs should be worn  With ear plugs its pretty dang good.  I was hoping the Madstad would reduce the need for ear plugs but that was really not the case.  Was it better?  yes...but not better enough, lol.  

The CalSci TS definitely had noise, it wasn't super quiet by any means. But the air was smooth. If you're above 6 foot it may be a little quieter for you. When I would sit up a bit on the pegs, the noise dropped off a fair amount. I'm about 5'8" for reference. 

The fairing design may also be contributing to the noise. It might be coming up and around. Food for thought.

• Thumbsup 1

'15 FJ09

You could try removing the mirrors. I found I still had a lot of noise with the Madstad (still way better than stock!). Unrelated to the windscreen, I decided I wanted to try some different mirrors (bar-end style). When I went for a ride after installing the mirrors, I was shocked to find the buffeting and noise was greatly reduced.

• Thumbsup 1

2 hours ago, draco_1967 said:

You could try removing the mirrors. I found I still had a lot of noise with the Madstad (still way better than stock!). Unrelated to the windscreen, I decided I wanted to try some different mirrors (bar-end style). When I went for a ride after installing the mirrors, I was shocked to find the buffeting and noise was greatly reduced.

Yeah I suspect the mirrors are a major culprit.  The madstad is quieter for me but I did not like the buffeting and I had the screen above my nose and it didn't go away...I was shocked.  Oh well  I will keep it for another day and maybe try something else but I now realize the stock screen with the Puig wind deflector does the job well enough for now.....

• Thumbsup 1

Yeah...I don't know...but I am 5'11" and I got the 24" screen thinking it would be plenty and the buffeting was not good.  Not horrible but not good.  It could be the GT Air helmet too....

I may have a Madstad for sale cheap, lol......although I also got the shorty screen and I should try it with that......

49 minutes ago, Nat Finsness said:

Not hearing anything on the Givi Touring screen. Mine should arrive tomorrow. Will report back. 

Is that the tall one? I've been curious about the smaller Givi (D2139S), I think it looks nice.  Anyone ever try it?

50 minutes ago, Nat Finsness said:

Not hearing anything on the Givi Touring screen. Mine should arrive tomorrow. Will report back. 

It's an enormous barn door, will be interested to hear your thoughts however. :) 

On 5/10/2021 at 9:30 AM, CRFan250 said:

I did also try the Puig short race screen but honestly it was noisy too and the upright seating position would be tough at highway speeds.  I think the mirrors are a big source of the noise.  How is the cal sci shorty?  Honestly, the stock screen with the puig wind deflector is pretty good  It reduce any buffeting to zero but if you are taking a longer ride, then ear plugs should be worn  With ear plugs its pretty dang good.  I was hoping the Madstad would reduce the need for ear plugs but that was really not the case.  Was it better?  yes...but not better enough, lol.  

I cut an additional 2” off of my Puig sport screen and found a vast improvement...

FE5C4093-29D8-49EA-9AFB-EBBA6B7F5162.jpeg

482C70C2-5F85-421F-84F7-BA0B792A0E13.jpeg

• Thumbsup 4

I've put  a few thousand kms on this thing now and knew from day one that an aftermarket windshield was in order. I've come to the conclusion that the Puig touring shield is likely the best choice for me. It's on its way. But who knows? Maybe I will be horribly disappointed. Can't be worse than the stocker, though, and I will need a larger windshield come winter. 

I also posted this in the what I did today...

UPS dropped off the VStream tallest touring screen and I went for a ride after installation. I noticed a big improvement over the stock screen reducing noise. But I came home and added the cheap wind deflector then went for a second test. I can ride with my visor half way up or all the way, and I have a quiet ride now. My visor down is a little noisy. This was without ear plugs for the testing. For going on real rides with ear plugs, it’s going to be a keeper. Now that I can hear the engine sounds, I am hearing a vibration buzzing that starts at around 4100 rpm and stops at around 4500 rpm as I shift up. Has anyone else heard this?