My Madstad screen came in...

CRFan250

• Premium Member
14 hours ago, getpetey said:
On 5/10/2021 at 8:30 AM, CRFan250 said:

I cut an additional 2” off of my Puig sport screen and found a vast improvement...

How did you cut it cleanly without creating a lot of melted plastic boogers along the edge?

9 hours ago, Tom Bazemore said:

Now that I can hear the engine sounds, I am hearing a vibration buzzing that starts at around 4100 rpm and stops at around 4500 rpm as I shift up. Has anyone else heard this?

Yes, I noticed a buzz too. For me, it ended up being the outer plastic on the right handguard that was buzzing against the handguard frame. A little bit of foam between the two pieces cured it.

3 hours ago, 1moreroad said:

How did you cut it cleanly without creating a lot of melted plastic boogers along the edge?

I first covered the area I was planning on cutting with masking tape on both sides. I layed out the cut onto the tape. Followed the original shape 2” down. I layed out a nice corner radius on both edges. I used a small rotary cutting wheel to make the cut. Made a few passes so the plastic wouldn’t get too hot. Took a fine file to roughly smooth the cut line then finished smoothing out the edge with som fine sandpaper. 400 grit I think. 

The rotary cutting tool is the key. I found if you use even a fine hacksaw blade, the material will crack. I just had a small cutter in my drill and it worked out quite well. 

Edited by getpetey
Spelling
  • Thanks 1

So I was bored and there's no wind today so I decided to give my Madstad another shot.  Except this time I added my Puig wind deflector on the shield.  Well, after making a couple of adjustments I think I found its happy place and the result is amazing.  I am a believer in these Laminar Lip/Deflector things and I am shocked in the difference.  It quieted it down AND removed the mild buffeting.  I am stoked!

• Thumbsup 3
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, CRFan250 said:

So I was bored and there's no wind today so I decided to give my Madstad another shot.  Except this time I added my Puig wind deflector on the shield.  Well, after making a couple of adjustments I think I found its happy place and the result is amazing.  I am a believer in these Laminar Lip/Deflector things and I am shocked in the difference.  It quieted it down AND removed the mild buffeting.  I am stoked!

Madstad + Lip? Pics please, not seen that combo before.

Thanks

On 5/11/2021 at 5:15 PM, getpetey said:

I cut an additional 2” off of my Puig sport screen and found a vast improvement...

FE5C4093-29D8-49EA-9AFB-EBBA6B7F5162.jpeg

482C70C2-5F85-421F-84F7-BA0B792A0E13.jpeg

Mine looks that style and size. Mines the 34 buck cheapy, 26 bucks when I got it off eBay. Works great and bought a 2nd for replacement it this 1 gets scratched and sand blastedIMG_2743.thumb.JPG.40428a894569c77ef5ff14e0bda08410.JPG over time. 

s-l400.jpg

Windshield Windscreen Wind Shield Protector For Kawasaki...

I did just see this for more chest protection and maybe clean air on the helmet for no buffeting. Price is right to try it also;

s-l400.jpg

For 2015-2017 Yamaha MT-09 FJ09 Tracer. Color :As Picture.

Edited by tktplz
  • Thumbsup 1

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/11/2021 at 4:53 PM, Nat Finsness said:

Not hearing anything on the Givi Touring screen. Mine should arrive tomorrow. Will report back. 

Curious of your thoughts? Also, height and inseam? Thanks!

I received the Givi touring screen a week ago. Installed and have been riding 100 miles or so. It is tall… Maybe 2 inches taller than the Puig touring screen. It does a great job limiting wind and buffeting, even up to the top of my helmet. I had tried the Puig Touring screen, and was still getting a fair amount of wind on my helmet. Givi suggests an extra bracket kit ($90) to hold securely, since the slide system on the tracer allows a little movement. I did not buy it, but drilled a hole in the bottom center of screen and added a bolt through the bottom center of slide mount for stability. Seems to work pretty good. 
I am 5‘10“ tall with a 30” inseam.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
On 5/9/2021 at 6:04 PM, CRFan250 said:

So this weekend my Madstad 24" screen came in and I installed it yesterday without issue.  For reference, I am 5'11" and have a 32" inseam so I opted for the 24" screen.  After I installed it I went on a good test ride and tried every height and angle that I could and with great disappointment, I just couldn't get it to work.  It cut the noise down by maybe 50% but I experienced buffeting at anything over 65 mph and it was a calm day.  I use a Shoei GT Air II helmet.  Bottom line is I didn't really like it and the benefit versus how it looked was not worth it to me.

So....I took it off and went back to the stock screen with the puig wind deflector and I am gonna call it done.  With this set up I actually get ZERO buffeting but a fair amount of wind noise above 65mph.  However with ear plugs its actually very very liveable and I like the way it looks.  Guess I must be one of the few who don't like thei'm  madstad but that's ok by me.  I had to try it and see....

My experience is similar to yours. I'm 5'11" and went with the 20" screen. I didn't want a larger one, so if this didn't work, oh well. Cut down the noise where I don't need ear plugs and can listen to music. Still some buffeting. We get get our fair share of wind here which doesn't help.

Anyway, went back to the Cal Sci TS today. Don't like the look of the Madstad. When the weather cools down, maybe I'll try the wind deflector.

• Thumbsup 2

• 1 month later...
On 5/11/2021 at 11:11 AM, Clem Fandango said:

It's funny how different people prefer different screens.  My experience:

Stock - hated it.

Stock with a spoiler - hated it.

Puig touring screen - hated it, considered selling the bike.

Madstad 22" - nirvana.

I'm on the same path as you.....haha.

I am VERY happy with my 24" Madstad and Puig wind deflector.  It is quiet and smooth in all conditions except when you are behind a big semi but even then its not bad.  I can have my visor up at 75 plus mph and its calm.  I am glad I gave it another chance because I would not change it for anything.  Even on hot days I get enough airflow around the shield that I stay cool in my mesh jacket.  I have attached a couple crappy pics.  It's not the prettiest thing in the world but between this and the Seth Laam seat I have coming, I should be able to enjoy some long days in the saddle!

For reference I am 5' 11" and I look over the shield still.

GT1.jpg

GT2.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

• 2 years later...
On 5/11/2021 at 9:06 AM, draco_1967 said:

You could try removing the mirrors. I found I still had a lot of noise with the Madstad (still way better than stock!). Unrelated to the windscreen, I decided I wanted to try some different mirrors (bar-end style). When I went for a ride after installing the mirrors, I was shocked to find the buffeting and noise was greatly reduced.

What bar end mirrors did you use?  I just got my Madstad and am having the same issues you mention.

I have a set of CRG Arrow mirrors with Rottweiler mounts (attaches to my Barkbusters). They are spendy, but very high quality. I actually got mine second hand for about 60% of new cost. I ended up liking them so much, I put a set on my other bike (which I also scored used!).

No the best pic...

ABLVV85eUb6V7dt4PNwoWH7DczhWqiAFw34rNYzY

Here is a closeup of them on my other bike:

ABLVV87BF68HPdwFKwLnVKQRHEWpMSl3D8kZ2qf5

I will say, these mirrors are tough! On my other bike, they have taken several falls on both sides in the dirt. They rotate out of the way, and I haven't had any issues with broken glass or bent anything. The aluminum housing has a few scratches, but nothing serious. 

If you are eliminating handguards completely, CRG has a bar-end adapter that you need to purchase separately to install the mirrors. 

• Thumbsup 2