Corrosion protection spray?

Hi everybody ( :) hi Dr. Nic! :), sorry could not resist ),

in the owner manual, in the care and storage section, it mentions that we should ...

Apply a corrosion protection spray
on all metal parts including
chrome or nickel-plated surfaces.

Any idea what kind of product they are referring to?  Do you know brand names?  My first reflex was "like WD40?!?".  

Thanks in advance for your comments!

3 hours ago, Heli ATP said:

ACF-50 Anti-Corrosion Spray is a good option...

ACF-50

Many of us here in the rainy PNW use this and swear by it. I now buy it in the large half gallon sizes that comes with a convenient sprayer and coat most of the bottom half of my bikes with it. No rust. Also use it many other things on our boat, lawn tools and so on. There are others, for sure, but this one rocks. And WD40 is not in any way a lasting treatment. It will displace water, and then easily dries off and disappears. Things like ACF-50 leave a residue of sorts that though not gross or sticky, protects. 

• Thumbsup 4

1 hour ago, Salish900 said:

Many of us here in the rainy PNW use this and swear by it. I now buy it in the large half gallon sizes that comes with a convenient sprayer and coat most of the bottom half of my bikes with it. No rust. Also use it many other things on our boat, lawn tools and so on. There are others, for sure, but this one rocks. And WD40 is not in any way a lasting treatment. It will displace water, and then easily dries off and disappears. Things like ACF-50 leave a residue of sorts that though not gross or sticky, protects. 

So you just spay down all metal components? Does it need to be wiped off?

47 minutes ago, getpetey said:

So you just spay down all metal components? Does it need to be wiped off?

Yes, just spray from close up, or onto a cloth and wipe on if you want. I blot off some big drips from fixings, as it does leave marks on plastic if you leave them. Stay away from brakes and if you use it on the exhaust (on the header nuts for example), be prepared for smoke for a few minutes after starting the engine.

• Thanks 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

Yep, ACF 50 is the way to go.   Nice fine spray is best so put bottle/aerosol in hot water for a few minutes to thin it. I know some who use it with a compressor. OK on all metals, doesn't hurt plastics if you get it on any.  Keep off brakes and rubber. 👍

• Thumbsup 1

ACF 50 goes a lot further than you would think, I keep a small paint brush to spread it around, it tends to creep into books and crannies and is good for protecting electrics.

In the UK we have all year biker who have agents who will clean your bike and mist with ACF, 1st thing I got done to my bike when new, never fails to amaze me how it stays on the front of a bike engine which has to be the worst environment, just a light spray and spread with brush occasionally 😀

• Thumbsup 1

Thank you for all the great replies.  ACF 50 is 10 units larger than WD40, so it must be good!
Ouch, I just saw the price in Canada, I'll have to make sure not to waste any!

Do you spray often?  Like after every wash?  Or do you do it every time the bike gets wet (rain, wash, beer >:D, urine :o, ...).

Sorry I feel silly today!

EDIT:

I just found 2 versions! 

1. ACF-50 Anti-Corrosion Lubricant (the pink bottle) 
  2. ACF-50 Corrosion Block (blue bottle

Any idea what the difference is?

Edited by WastedMind3500