Uneven Tire Wear (Front)

34 minutes ago, Hogie said:

You will have to ride your bike here in the U.K. to even out your tyre wear😂

on a separate note I’m impressed by the mileage you achieved from the original Dunlop’s, 14k from the rear might be a record🤔

I was impressed too, however , you can say I was calling it close. 

59CAE1DB-B44B-4723-9D31-9B089B9C8BE9.thumb.png.c769d6af715d7c516c2858c8b843119a.png

• Sad 1

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, Your_Boy_Yuriy said:

I was impressed too, however , you can say I was calling it close. 

59CAE1DB-B44B-4723-9D31-9B089B9C8BE9.thumb.png.c769d6af715d7c516c2858c8b843119a.png

When I run it until the center is that thin is usually when I pick up a sharp rock and get a flat. 

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

12 hours ago, skipperT said:

After that it’s simply road conditions, surface, types of travel, temperature, road crown, and the tire you chose. Some do it more than others (cup) but even though Michelin has supposedly developed the Road 5 to resist cupping, I still see them cup as they wear. 

Basically what I’m saying is that it’s good to pay attention to all these things but don’t stress out if you do everything right on your next set of tires and they still cup towards the middle/end of their life. 

-Skip

I definitely agree with all this, but will say: Michelin is full of crap.  I mean, I'm sure they did work to reduce cupping, but I burn michelin road 5 fronts as fast as I do rears because mine always cup pretty badly, so while I could get more miles out of the fronts, I don't bother to (and honestly, at 15k per set, I feel I'm getting my money's worth).  And that's at regularly checked recommended pressure etc.  *shrugs* It makes em a bit bumpier at lean towards the end of the set, but they still do their job well.  

• Thumbsup 1

6 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

...so while I could get more miles out of the fronts, I don't bother to (and honestly, at 15k per set, I feel I'm getting my money's worth). 

I agree that 15k per set is pretty good.

• Thumbsup 1

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

On 5/16/2021 at 7:25 AM, Heli ATP said:

Not wishing to turn this into something like an oil thread but some say uneven tire side wear is more to do with how you attack a turn rather than the crown of the road. Visibility is more restricted on right hand corners as we are on the inside of the turn, so we are not as aggressive. Left hand turns are more open ( we can see further down the road) so we throttle up. Maybe not an explanation for the OP's wear but definitely a consideration?

Definitely something to think about for sure.  Here in the Chicago area we don't have many curvy roads though, hehehehe. :)

• Thumbsup 1

FWIW, I've seen this wear style here on both sets of tyres on my 2016 Tracer - the right hand side of the tyre wears a little more - especially on the front - and since I'm in Japan I'm riding on the left, and especially in the hills and mountains, the camber of the road can be more than normal to help run water off.  Other riders here have also commented on it. I'm pretty good with tyre pressue, but I might look at my suspension settings again. Been a year or so since I last set it up from scratch.

• Thumbsup 1

Yea its the bike.......its never the rider. When I got my first sportbike, I was going through two fronts to rear........until I learned how to ride a sportbike and then it was two rears to a front.

When you are accelerating or decelerating, you are moving weight on the wheels back and forth between the rear and front.

If you are decelerating, you are putting more weight on the front than steady state throttle. Add turning and you are plowing through the turn.  

Setting your entrance speed and maintaining a throttle input that provides steady state of speed helps keep the weight balanced between front and rear.

Adding some throttle will take some weight off the front.

Heres my front after bout 4,700 miles of both freeway, in town, and twisties.

5B1E6F41-BE87-4397-B53A-181F7D83CDF3.jpeg

• Thumbsup 2

On 5/18/2021 at 10:45 PM, duckie said:

Yea its the bike.......its never the rider. When I got my first sportbike, I was going through two fronts to rear........until I learned how to ride a sportbike and then it was two rears to a front.

This has to be a factor for sure, and I've been trying to see if I'm riding right handers differently somehow.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

Hope I can say this without hurting the OP's feelings but with the mileage he's getting with the original tires, I don't think he's wearing one side out before the other.  JMHO

• Thumbsup 2

23 minutes ago, fjray said:

Hope I can say this without hurting the OP's feelings but with the mileage he's getting with the original tires, I don't think he's wearing one side out before the other.  JMHO

I have to agree...my fronts are usually removed by 7-8 regardless and I am happy to get that!

• Premium Member

Basically I just ride my  Tracer in the twisties.  I haul it south in  my truck and ride it hard for 4-5 days.   I've yet to get 2K out of a set of tires.  I have a spare set of  wheels with fresh rubber on and  this helps me get the maximum mileage I can get out of a set of tires.