First ride was a Suzuki X-6 Hustler in 1967 and I've been hooked ever since.  I may not be as fast as I used to be or as strong.  Now I have bladder cancer but still riding with the help of Depends.  My current ride is a 21 T9GT which replaced my 12 FZ-01.  I felt that I could use the rider assists to help out in case.  Love the bike and even the dash, so much better than just a speedometer and tach with idiot lights. 

• Thumbsup 4

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, FarmForce said:

I am 61 now and been riding since I was 16 .... I can tell you YES, my riding skills have diminished noticeably since my 30s and 40s, but I also have cooled down a whooooooooooole lot form those days. So I am all good. I just LOOVE getting my 16 year old son introduced to the sport! Just got him a KTM 200 Duke for starters.

image.jpeg.8ea1bd99d9c94cab94dc3f81524d25a5.jpeg

I hope armored pants and boots will be under the tree for him this X-Mas.

May he enjoy as many years riding as his dad.

Though he'll likely have many more years on an electric than an ICE!

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

I'm almost 50 and I've told my wife this might be my last motorcycle.  That's 5+ years down the road, but I will have seen the roads around here. While I'm interested in some of the bigger touring bikes, the FJ will probably get replaced with a Miata or BRZ. They're about the same price as a Multistrada or an RT. 

All that said we will probably move in the next 5 - 10 years and I told my wife that a new starting point will reset my moto clock. 

• Thumbsup 1

LOL I didn't get my first motorcycle until I was 53.  As I near 70 I can tell some of the effects of aging but still am able to ride with confidence.  I'm more mellow and don't push as hard as I once did.  However the thought of picking up a 500 pound bike is not a pleasant one.  What I like best about riding is the feel of the open air and the uninterrupted vision.  No pillars or roof and can look all around.  What catches my eye are the CanAm Spider, the Vanderhaull, Ariel Atom and similar.  Basically 3 or 4 wheel motorcycles.  CanAm being the closest but the others are still close enough.    I would still take a long trip and endure the weather - hot, cold, wet, dry just like I would on a motorcycle.  

• Thumbsup 2

• 2 weeks later...

Getting older and riding has been interesting. I got my first Mini Trail when I was 6 years old. Had my motorcycle lic. in Arkansas at 13 years old. Fact is if I'm not riding death is preferable. Ride or die or die riding. Riding is so important to me. I'm only 61 but hard work and play has been devastating. And the last 5 years of work before I wagged finger and retired was brutal. I haven't ridden as much the last year as years past because of health issues also the wife got retired and went right into massive health issues of her own. So I've stayed very close to her and taking care of her. And she has been on the back of bikes with me for 30 years. Best passenger I've ever had. She's been on the back wheel well over 100 mph. She has been at 212 mph on a Busa out west casing the sunset. But a few years ago after a fast weekend at Bikes Blues and BBQ on a POS Harley M8 Road King she set me down and told me she had to retire from the real fast two up riding we had been doing for years. She is five years older than me and the fact is her brain could not keep up anymore. And that's where my brain is at now. I'm not a kid anymore and have to slow down. The body and brain aren't keeping up very well as quick and nimble as they use to.

• Thumbsup 4