What have people done with their side stand.

OZVFR

If you’re short like me, the stock side stand is nearly impossible to use. 

I’m thinking of welding another pin just below spring to make it easier to use. 

Has someone done this and have pictures?  

• Supporting Member

I used a T-Rex lowering link to reduce the seat height by 1.5" and had the stock side stand shortened by 1", and powder coated. Not probably what you are asking but it made a huge difference for me at 5'-9" / 29" inseam. I also added the foot enlarger, on my side stand it may help you?

(I had purchased an aftermarket side-stand but felt it was inferior to the stock one.)

Also search ebay for 'Side Stand Leg Foot Brace Support' for ideas.

Jump ahead to the 7 min and 11 min mark on this video....

Side stand shuffle

I'm curious. I see how the height of the seat would be a problem below a certain height of human. But once you are on the bike, how does the side stand present a problem? I''m trying to picture that. If you lower the bike itself, like @Heli ATP did, then it makes sense you need a shorter side stand so the angles work out. 

"I’m thinking of welding another pin just below spring to make it easier to use. "

What would this do for you? 

Nothing to do with lowering the side stand, just can't reach the side stand lowering pin properly when my right foot is on the ground.

I'm not the first to complain about the side stand design. I'm guessing this is not a problem if you're tall.

• Thumbsup 1

42 minutes ago, OZVFR said:

Nothing to do with lowering the side stand, just can't reach the side stand lowering pin properly when my right foot is on the ground.

I'm not the first to complain about the side stand design. I'm guessing this is not a problem if you're tall.

Oh, you mean the pin on the shaft that you use to kick up the stand! Yes, I am 6'2" and never would have noticed this. I do notice the bike is tall, even for me, and can only imagine a more normal sized person would be stretched. Funny how the seat is tall, but the OEM bar position is way too forward and down. The bike is not otherwise built for tall people, in my opinion. 

If you are trying to do it normal way it is 50/50 chance. Try to do this - take your feet forward of the foot peg and than move back lifting the foot peg up with your heel. At the same time move kickstand back with your toes. It works almost 100% for me.

Edited by Rick123
  • Thumbsup 2

I figured that out and tried, but my boots don’t have a sharp edge on the heel and I don’t have enough reach to finish the stroke. 
It all depends on ground angle. 
I really don’t want to lower the bike anymore than the 15mm I already have. 
I only have a 29” inseam, but only weight 74kg (160ld), and I sometimes ride too aggressively to lower it any more. I was thinking of another pin just below the spring so it’s not so far down the side stand. 

• Premium Member

When I put a wider foot plate on the sidestand the problem was solved.  Now I place my heel on the foot plate and push the sidestand down and out.

foot.jpg

foot2.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

https://ridemsta.com/oh-tmr/  Riding makes me happy. "Do it or don't do it - you'll regret both." - Soren Kierkegaard

2015 FJ-09, 60k miles, Hord Power ECU, K-Tech suspension, MC Cruise

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, Rick123 said:

take your feet forward of the foot peg and than move back lifting the foot peg up with your heel. At the same time move kickstand back with your toes.

This is what I do - I'm 6'.  Yeah the stand is a bit awkward compared to some.  I'm used to it now, so all good.  In reading up on the bike before buying it, I was all ready to modify the stand, but after figuring it out as you did too, there's no need.

However, what if you just modify the pin ?  Can you get someone to lengthen it an inch? - that's probably all it needs, if that much.  Easy task for the right person.

Makes sense the wider foot accomplishs the same thing - give your heel something to 'bite'.

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

And yes to foot enlarger. It might help as well. In addition it will prevent sinking into hot asphalt when you park it on the street/parking lot or when you park it on the grass/gravel/sand.

I can weld myself as I have all the gear and I’m good at it. 

Will look at it on the weekend when I have more time. 

ATM I need to get the seat to an upholsterer to get cover restapled, as I reshaped seat but the plastic is really hard and thick and my stapler won’t go through it. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, OZVFR said:

I can weld myself as I have all the gear and I’m good at it.

Check out this post and in particular the photos that had the same issue you are decribing and the subsequent fix.

If you have the welder and skills then you're home and hosed.

• Thanks 1

When I removed the foot peg feelers (they just unscrew) my problems with putting the side stand down were reduced quite a bit. My issue was not related to a being short, it was just that the feeler would interfere with my boot just trying to get my heel on the tang to push down the stand.

• Thumbsup 2

The way the peg and side stand are designed, they interfere with the motion necessary to deploy the side stand. That feeler peg is always in the way, and catches the cuff of my pants. Solution is as above: remove feeler peg. 

I find my boot touches down before the peg ever does anyway. 

• Thumbsup 1