Dumb oil level check question

I am recent buyer of a used Tracer 900 GT. Sorry about the ignorant question. But the user manual to me is not completely obvious and I don't want to screw it up.

The manual says to wait a few minutes after warming up to let the oil settle.

So here is the question. Should the engine be off or on when you check the oil level when it settles? The manual does not specify.

Sorry for the question.....

Off. Check on center stand.

Make sure to fill to the top line to avoid random sporadic oil warning. It's pretty common even with the oil right in the middle of the two marks.

• Thumbsup 1

So a bit more info.

I did my first oil and filter change. I added exactly 2.7L per the manual.

When the engine is running, the oil slowly goes to the bottom of the sight glass. After letting it drain for a few minutes after shutting the engine off, the level does eventually go the top of the sight glass.....above the top marking.

So I have already ridden the bike 2700mi this way......and I assume you are supposed to check it with the engine off....so I clearly have more oil than the top mark. But since I put in exactly the recommended amount and let the residual oil drain for a long time when I changed it, it can't be much above the recommended amount....should I be worried about this situation? Is it imperative that I drain a bit of oil out to get below that top marking?

Again, your experience in answering these questions are much appreciated.

• Supporting Member

So if you look at the following thread it starts off with a pic of the oil level sight glass. The full line looks like it is just above the top of the sight glass. You will be fine. Sometimes if the oil level is in the middle of the sight glass it causes the oil light to come on, when oil is not warmed up.

Oil Level

(The only dumb question is the one that didn't get asked).

• Thumbsup 4

According to my 2020 book , the check should be made on level ground with the bike held upright not on the center stand . It makes quite a difference at the sight window . 

8 hours ago, mferring said:

MInes a 2019. I measured it exactly using a Motion Pro Graduated funnel.

If you’re worried, ask a friend to slowly tip the bike from upright, onto its side stand while you watch the sight glass. I suspect the level will very quickly drop and you’ve only just filled it above the window.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Supporting Member

FWIW - If you're confident that you've put in the specified amount of oil then worry no more.  Job done.

My sight glass on the centre stand is like yours in that it is completely 'filled' and I've never had an issue.

Now, get on that thing and ride it like you stole it! 😁

• Thumbsup 1

12 hours ago, Bob K said:

According to my 2020 book , the check should be made on level ground with the bike held upright not on the center stand . It makes quite a difference at the sight window . 

Doesn't make as much difference as you would think, I've always checked on bikes which have a centerstand.

• Thumbsup 1

I check my oil and chain slack while sitting on the bike. I bought a cheap mirror at $general, and mounted it to the side of my tool box with adhesive backed magnets. I use a work light sitting on the floor to light the area while I look at the sight glass. I attached an old ruler to a stub 2×4, set it on the floor with tool box on left side of bike. Positioned right I can tell how much slack there is in the chain using a pry bar I have. Works very well for me.

Generally I check it one time when new exactly per manual - held level and then put it on the center stand and check again - my experience has been minimal difference.  If I've really concerned I'll put a piece of week under the front tire to get the bike level front to back.  I will start bike and let it ru for a while or after riding let it set for 5 minutes and then check.  If the bike sits overnight more oil drains down and the level goes up.

As I recall the full (top) line on my 2020 Tracer 900 GT is a little below the top of the glass.  I would go check but I'm at the beach and my bike is at home!

As others have said no such thing as a dumb question.

Edited by PhotoAl

• Supporting Member

So has the method for checking the oil level changed with the model progression?

Procedure below is from the FJ-09 service manual. and suggests using the center-stand.

Oil Level.jpg