2015-2020 my impressions.

I just traded in my Red 2015 FJ09 for a slightly used 2020 Tracer GT 900 (611 miles). So far I'm very pleased, it seems everything is a little bit better. I know some people still don't like the suspension but it's defiantly a smoother ride then on my 2015. The cruise control is wonderful to have. After a half hour ride with the cruise and maybe a different bend on the bars I felt great. On my old bike my right hand would go numb.  I think the new windscreen is better then the old one some, I'm sure there is a aftermarket that's better but I'm satisfied after 5 years with the stock old one. The engine seems smoother even though I had a flash on the old one. The only thing I don't like better with the new bikes motor is the engine braking. It must have been turned off on the old one with the flash. The quick shifter took some getting used to. I finally figured out it's smoother from 2nd up and have been using it accordingly. So far the only frustrations I've had was when I was trying to reset the trip meters. The previous owner lost the manual in the 6 months he owned it. I downloaded the manual from Yamaha's website and all is well. Also the stock side panniers are smaller then I'm used to, I had some Shad's that were bigger on my old bike, but I didn't have a top case so it evens out. So far I'm a happy man. I only wish I didn't have to work so I could go riding more. Oh yeah one last thing. The previous owner left the warning sticker on the tank. It took the better part of an hour to get the glue off after removing it. It might have been made worse by the flat Black paint that I'm not to crazy about. But I looks fine now.

• Thumbsup 5
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks a great writeup.  I never had a FJ09 so couldn't compare but always felt it had lots of small improvements.  Bought mine new in September and it turned over 11,000 miles in June.  I have lots of memories with it and plan on making lots more.  almost 4 years ago I solved the go to work thing and retired 🙂  

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

Great report, thanks for that.

Cruise is the ONE thing I really wish mine would have.  A throttle lock helps, but doesn't 100% solve it (maybe 62.2% solved).

• Haha 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

When I bought my FJR, I also rode the first gen FJ09 in 15. I was struck then by the motor, and the twitchy response. I ended up getting the FJR which over time despite my modifications was just too small for my 6'2" frame. Now that I have a 19 Tracer I'm reminded of that first test ride on the FJ09 and what an amazing bike it is for the price. Crazy to get so much for only $10K. I have never really needed cruise control, though when I have it I use it. It's the motor, the motor, the motor that makes this bike. Truly a classic. 

• Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member
13 hours ago, peteinpa said:

Thanks for the review. I'll probably keep my 15 till they plant me.

Having only ridden my 15 with a Vcyclenut flash, reworked forks and a Razor R shock, a 16 XSR slip-assist clutch, a McCruise, 520 chain & sprockets with +2 on the rear, higher more swept back bars, decent tires, 3 different wind screens (4 including the terrible OEM), a custom Sargent saddle, better footpegs, aftermarket levers, Shad SH36 panniers & SH 46 top case, and literally dozens of other mods, I'm VERY happy with my FJ.  I only wonder if the later year's longer swing arm would be an improvement but I've never had high speed stability issues and like the quick and stable turn-in and never felt the need for a stabilizer.

Now the 21 improvements intrigue me but given I only have 50,000 miles on my 15 (I had to take much of 2018 and 19 off and a lot of 20 due to work, and will be having back surgery hopefully early this August), I'm not trading up for anything for at least hopefully another 50k.

Then we'll see what's out there but I will likely still hold on to the FJ as it nicely bookends by 77 RD400...also the fastest red.

I to had a throttle lock and it was serviceable. But setting on certain speed and it staying there is wonderful. Now if it was only adaptive like my car it would really be cooking.

• Thumbsup 1

On 7/15/2021 at 3:19 PM, knyte said:

Great report, thanks for that.

Cruise is the ONE thing I really wish mine would have.  A throttle lock helps, but doesn't 100% solve it (maybe 62.2% solved).

Cruise control is the one thing that I did not want/need on a bike, until I got a bike with cruise control. I will never own another street bike without it. 

• Thumbsup 5

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

• Supporting Member
19 hours ago, Salish900 said:

It's the motor, the motor, the motor that makes this bike.

Absolutely.  The motor has a personality that still makes me smile every time I ride it….  

Everything I’m hearing here sounds like the motor is still the star of the show, but they’ve greatly improved the overall package with the new T9. 

• Thumbsup 1

Cruise control is such a non-issue to me. I barely use it in my cars, too much traffic on the highway. 

I have a throttle lock that I've walked from bike to bike through the years (with some necessary mods) that is all I need.

Maybe out west in the flat boring spots but I'm still fine without it.

• Premium Member
23 hours ago, maximo said:

Cruise control is the one thing that I did not want/need on a bike, until I got a bike with cruise control. I will never own another street bike without it. 

Double dog dittos.👍

CC and heated grips. I have RA and those really help me out. YMMV

• Thumbsup 1

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA