Let's See Those Chicken Strips

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, texscottyd said:

If history is any indication, I'm more into baked chicken than chicken strips...

F10AF0B3-C716-4F60-B9A3-BD6D6CE71167.thu

That looks more like toasted carcass 👍 

• Haha 2

He who dies with the most toys wins.

5 hours ago, texscottyd said:

If history is any indication, I'm more into baked chicken than chicken strips...

F10AF0B3-C716-4F60-B9A3-BD6D6CE71167.thu

You like me seem to like lefts better than rights. I'm left handed. Not sure if that makes a difference. 

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, tktplz said:

You like me seem to like lefts better than rights. I'm left handed. Not sure if that makes a difference. 

That’s an interesting observation:  In the really fast open stuff (where I have a clear view of the road ahead), I definitely prefer left hand turns… I think it’s tied back to my road racing days, where the majority of tracks run counterclockwise.  In the slower cut & thrust stuff, I’m more comfortable going right… there’s a mental security blanket of having that extra lane, even though I’m religious about lane discipline and not crossing the centerline.   

I think this tire wear is related to the crown of the road surface:   That tire was completely smooth at the right edge, but had that slight tread ledge just off center on the right.   Odd wear pattern, but the tire was still working well all the way to the bitter end.  

• Thumbsup 2

22 hours ago, kilo3 said:

Here's how my new 180 looks by comparison. Once I get my bike sprung to my weight, I'll probably see the edge but right now I'm scraping peg pretty bad.

PXL_20210822_224425420.jpg

I'm scraping really hard at this point too; never get right to the edge as a result.   

On 8/24/2021 at 12:29 AM, texscottyd said:

That’s an interesting observation:  In the really fast open stuff (where I have a clear view of the road ahead), I definitely prefer left hand turns… I think it’s tied back to my road racing days, where the majority of tracks run counterclockwise.  In the slower cut & thrust stuff, I’m more comfortable going right… there’s a mental security blanket of having that extra lane, even though I’m religious about lane discipline and not crossing the centerline.   

I think this tire wear is related to the crown of the road surface:   That tire was completely smooth at the right edge, but had that slight tread ledge just off center on the right.   Odd wear pattern, but the tire was still working well all the way to the bitter end.  

Nope.

Do a search here I linked to a large article on tire wear. Cant do ir now in a hotel room on my phone.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, peteinpa said:

Nope.

I love your conviction!  :)  

I don’t really buy the idea that road crown would have this kind of an impact, as @Wintersdarkalso notes.  What I can’t come up with is another reason that I can actually buy into…  It remains an unsolved mystery.   I’m pretty meticulous about rear wheel alignment, but maybe I got that wrong at some point?   I’ve never had another tire do this, although the current RoadSmart III is looking like it may end up with an asymmetric wear pattern as well.  

7 hours ago, texscottyd said:

I don’t really buy the idea that road crown would have this kind of an impact, as @Wintersdarkalso notes.  What I can’t come up with is another reason that I can actually buy into…  It remains an unsolved mystery.   I’m pretty meticulous about rear wheel alignment, but maybe I got that wrong at some point?   I’ve never had another tire do this, although the current RoadSmart III is looking like it may end up with an asymmetric wear pattern as well.  

I see you failed to read the assignment. You'll be staying after class tonight till you do.

https://www.rattlebars.com/tirewear/

This will make you not care ever again about your weird tire wear. It explains IT ALL.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 8/25/2021 at 10:06 AM, texscottyd said:

23 hours ago, peteinpa said:

I see you failed to read the assignment. You'll be staying after class tonight till you do.

https://www.rattlebars.com/tirewear/

This will make you not care ever again about your weird tire wear. It explains IT ALL.

This is it right here.  Explains it very clearly, with pictures.  

Short form answer: Increased left side tire wear on right-side-driving countries and right side tire wear on left-side-driving countries because the (for us) left turns are longer than right; significantly so.  Thus, you spend twice as much time/mileage turning left as you do turning right, given the same number of overall turns in each direction.  So, your tires will tend to wear on the left side more than the right as a simple consequence of every left turn being longer/further. 

unnamed.png

Edited by Wintersdark
  • Thumbsup 3

Interesting discussion, I think the spending more time on one side of the tyre because of the side of the road you ride is a thin concept. If you ride 50km down a twisty road, how much further has the right side vs the left gone? Intersections would be counted as negligible I think. 

I think the camber does play some part; on the straight its negligible, but in corners the camber is added to or subtracted from your actual lean angle, added to (as mentioned) being more aggressive in lefts/rights (depending on which side you ride on). So: ride on left, right turns taken faster because of better vision, more shear on tyre side on the right. 

On chicken strips: the tyre profile and squash amount (construction and pressure) count a lot to getting out to the edge. Michelins are very semicircular, so hard to get right out there. Some others are relatively flat across the profile, so easy to get right to the edge.

Just my thoughts...

• Thumbsup 1

On 8/23/2021 at 8:12 AM, kilo3 said:

Here's how my new 180 looks by comparison. Once I get my bike sprung to my weight, I'll probably see the edge but right now I'm scraping peg pretty bad.

PXL_20210822_224425420.jpg

you scraping the peg or the sissy bar ?

3 hours ago, Manxkiwi said:

Interesting discussion, I think the spending more time on one side of the tyre because of the side of the road you ride is a thin concept. If you ride 50km down a twisty road, how much further has the right side vs the left gone? Intersections would be counted as negligible I think. 

I think the camber does play some part; on the straight its negligible, but in corners the camber is added to or subtracted from your actual lean angle, added to (as mentioned) being more aggressive in lefts/rights (depending on which side you ride on). So: ride on left, right turns taken faster because of better vision, more shear on tyre side on the right. 

On chicken strips: the tyre profile and squash amount (construction and pressure) count a lot to getting out to the edge. Michelins are very semicircular, so hard to get right out there. Some others are relatively flat across the profile, so easy to get right to the edge.

Just my thoughts...

You misunderstand.  I just used an intersection picture to illustrate but the physics holds true in any corner.  A left hand corner is always longer than that same corner turning right, and by a very significant margin, because it's done over a much wider radius.  So it's a factor with every single bend in the road.  Much like how you'll pass people travelling at the same speed as you if you're in the inside lane and they're in the outside lane.

You simply ride more miles turning left vs turning right, all else being equal.

Camber absolutely does not play a significant part, simply because the actual road camber is ridiculously small - it'll never be a visible difference on the tire.  Even a 2 degree camber (larger than north american roads, which are up to around 1.5 degrees) is ridiculously small.  It's simply not going to be a visible difference in any scenario.  It'll be added to the lean angle, sure, but that's going to offset the wear by that same 1.5 degrees - maybe if you cut a cross section of the tire and bust out a protractor you'll see it.  But really, simply loading your bike off center a little bit is going to do that much, or riding in a gentle crosswind.