• Supporting Member
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2019 Niken GT
"Motorcycles - the brand is not important, the fact that you ride is."

• 1 year later...
On 9/12/2021 at 2:16 PM, maximNikenGT said:

Looks like Quad Lock's vibration dampeners will see a huge uptick in sales in that they're one of the few makers that have a specifically engineered solution. 

https://www.quadlockcase.com/collections/shop-moto/products/vibration-dampener?variant=32819777372235

I wonder which mount would work best on a Niken: Fork Stem, Mirror, or Handlebar.

On 7/13/2022 at 9:14 AM, maximNikenGT said:

I've been a huge supporter of Peak Design's mounts and cases when it first Kick Started including this motorcycle RAM mount. I've had it on my T9GT as well as the ever so vibration heavy C14. So far my iPhone 12 Pro has been solid.  The whole eco-system of case + various mounts works seamlessly. Definitely would recommend over the quadlock.

• Thumbsup 1

1 hour ago, robzilla said:

I've been a huge supporter of Peak Design's mounts and cases when it first Kick Started including this motorcycle RAM mount. I've had it on my T9GT as well as the ever so vibration heavy C14. So far my iPhone 12 Pro has been solid.  The whole eco-system of case + various mounts works seamlessly. Definitely would recommend over the quadlock.

Why?

I haven't used Peak Designs gear at all, so I can't speak for them, but I've extensively used RAM mounts and Quadlock mounts.  My ram mounts cost me a phone (off the bike at 180kph), my Quadlock mounts (with antivibration and wireless charging) have been on my Tracer and Tenere 700 for two years without a hitch...

And I'll point out, my Tenere has been crashed hard 10+ times with my phone on it.  Ridden up and down mountains, at high speed smashing down trails, over logs and through rivers.  They physically lock the phone in place, it can't fall off.

My RAM mount failed because it was windy.

• Thumbsup 1

All my friends have changed over to Quadlock over the last few years after seeing my one.

Antivibe mount with wireless charging is the go, no other brand comes close.

Peak Designs are good, they make camera tripod mounts and camera straps which I use, pricy but good, they don't do anything better than Quadlock for motorcycles IMO.

• Thumbsup 2

19 hours ago, OZVFR said:

All my friends have changed over to Quadlock over the last few years after seeing my one.

Antivibe mount with wireless charging is the go, no other brand comes close.

Peak Designs are good, they make camera tripod mounts and camera straps which I use, pricy but good, they don't do anything better than Quadlock for motorcycles IMO.

Best, you don't have the fiddly rubber band BS of ram mounts which you need, because the design of ram mounts can fling a phone out if it starts to move at all.  Way faster to attach and remove your phone with the Quadlock mount.

The downside is you need a Quadlock case, which limits you to Apple, Samsung, and Google's phones (AFAIK) and you can't pick random fashion cases.  Meh. 

Still, for me, the proof is in the pudding.  Thousands of kilometers offroad, with a good chunk of that being pretty hard offroad with crashes, and never a lost phone.  I'd *never* trust a ram mount to that.

Few years ago had a RAM X-Mount on my BMW F800GT.  Being a parallel twin it had lots of vibrations and the bars didn’t seem to vibrate too badly the RAM mount accentuated the vibrations.  I could see my phone vibrating as I rode down the road.  The camera didn’t factor well - it was an iPhone 10S.  I got a Garmin Zumo XT for navigation and it did great.  Got a free phone and line from t-Mobile, its a Samsung but no Quadlock case so bought a hard case and stuck a Quadlock mount on the back with double stick tape.  Also stuck a safety line on the back of it.  Have one of those on the back of the Zumo and it is still great - varying degrees of double stick tape.  Good stuff is great but the other stuff not so much.  Hard part is finding the good stuff.

What about SP-Connect?  How do they compare?  I am looking to get one or the other and I don't want to get one and wish I had got the other.  That is what I have you guys for!!  :)

• Supporting Member
On 7/19/2023 at 5:24 PM, robzilla said:

+1 for the Peak Design mount. The case for my Pixel 7 is perfect and has full compatibility with Apple's Magsafe line and other magnetic accessories if you're into that.

Placing the phone on the mount doesn't require anything other than letting the magnets pull to "connect". No twist to lock, no rubber bands, no adjusting a tension spring; just place the phone. The mount itself has a latching mechanism that locks the phone in so we're not just trusting the magnets. The release is two buttons on either side underneath the mount, easy with one gloved hand.

It's the first mount I've ever owned that requires zero fiddling with. Only problem is cost of entry, but all Peak Design products carry a lifetime warranty.

• Like 1

I figured out years ago and I use a Garmin. Phones use towers and a GPS uses satellites. If I'm riding these days it's in the mountains. Phones don't work in mountains but Garmin does. Garmin can find satellites, phone to tower in the mountain... not so much. My phone stays in the tank bag, just in case. . 

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

5 minutes ago, tktplz said:

I figured out years ago and I use a Garmin. Phones use towers and a GPS uses satellites. If I'm riding these days it's in the mountains. Phones don't work in mountains but Garmin does. Garmin can find satellites, phone to tower in the mountain... not so much. My phone stays in the tank bag, just in case. . 

Not sure on other brands, but Apple phones have GPS built in.

All you need is the right App.

I've been using my IPhone for wilderness trekking for years.

1 hour ago, tktplz said:

Sounds like you're still using a flip phone 🙃

Edited by robzilla
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, tgas said:

What about SP-Connect?  How do they compare?  I am looking to get one or the other and I don't want to get one and wish I had got the other.  That is what I have you guys for!!  :)

bump

• Supporting Member
14 hours ago, robzilla said:

Sounds like you're still using a flip phone 🙃

What’s old is new… Samsung Galaxy Z Flip4:  🙄

IMG_7463.thumb.jpeg.67d2e32f03180d160b5c436992aa560a.jpeg

I’ve been using a RokForm mount (https://www.rokform.com/collections/motorcycle-mounts) for 5+ years on my FJ, and really like it.  It does require their proprietary locking case, but the twist lock plus magnet means the phone isn’t going anywhere.   Very similar concept to the quadlock, I believe.  

My older bar mount doesn’t have any vibration damper built in, although it looks like the current RokForm mounts do offer that.   I’ve gone about 25k miles with an iPhone in the mount, and (knock on wood) no sign of camera stabilization damage.   Maybe I’ve just been lucky?  

• Thumbsup 1