2019 Tracer 900 GT Won't start...help....

mferring

Does the fuel pump make any noise when you turn the bike on?  

Guess bike is still at dealer, I looked at Partzilla.com and they say ships in 2 to 3 days.  I used my Alabama zip to figure that.  May be they presume Yamaha has them but Partzilla seems to have lots of parts in stock.  They have become my go to for parts.  They are in southern Georgia and shipping to me is quick.  Pump is $260.xx

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcycle/2020/tracer-900-gt-mtt9gtlb/fuel-tank

Edited by PhotoAl

• Supporting Member
15 minutes ago, PhotoAl said:

Does the fuel pump make any noise when you turn the bike on?

1 hour ago, Mike A said:

Finally got service appointment at dealer.  Yesterday they tell me it is a bad fuel pump.  Dealer said Yamaha does not have any fuel pumps and they will try to see if any dealers have any.  They said $750+ for repair/parts.  I took out extra Yamaha warranty and should be covered.  Doesn't help if they have no parts.  Waiting to hear next week if the find a fuel pump.

Like @PhotoAl mentioned, is there any noise when the key is turned on? 

Before going through a warranty replacement, it might be a good idea to unplug the connector from the bottom of the fuel pump and check for voltage when the key is on.  Add a small bit of dielectric grease to the connector and make sure it is fully seated on the pump.  It doesn't hurt to check and just might turn out to be a simple fix.

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Thanks for feed back guys.  Yes dealer has bike.  Just spoke to service dept there and they are trying to locate fuel pump from other dealers,  Told them of Partzilla and of course they told me Yamaha would not honor warranty cost if they had to order out of Yamaha network.  They are to let me know Tuesday.  I told them I wasn't willing to wait long for Yamaha to supply the part, that I would get from Partzilla and deal with Yamaha later.  Will see what happens next week.  Makes you wonder about buying extended warranty sometimes.  I did get a new motor on my 2013 Triumph Explorer in 2017 with 40K on it from warranty.  First time I had bought extended warranty.  Old age makes you buy these things I'm afraid.

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
7 minutes ago, Mike A said:

Makes you wonder about buying extended warranty sometimes.  I did get a new motor on my 2013 Triumph Explorer in 2017 with 40K on it from warranty.  First time I had bought extended warranty.  Old age makes you buy these things I'm afraid.

I bought the extended warranty from Yamaha and have used it several times.  Often times the parts need to be ordered (sometimes direct from Japan) but I have a really good local dealer and have never had an issue with warranty work being covered.

30 minutes ago, betoney said:

I bought the extended warranty from Yamaha and have used it several times.  Often times the parts need to be ordered (sometimes direct from Japan) but I have a really good local dealer and have never had an issue with warranty work being covered.

I'm starting to feel you've just got an unusually great dealer.  I've gone through several, and they've *fought* about anything regarding warranty work tooth and nail, as if it's coming out of their pockets.  Really frustrating.

I mean, with this clutch thing, they where not willing to even consider if it's a warranty problem before doing $1800 of work (at my expense).  

If you've got a good dealer, then they're great, but honestly I feel the warranties are a profound waste of money (at least, for a very reliable Big Four bike) for the vast majority of people.

• Supporting Member
22 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

I'm starting to feel you've just got an unusually great dealer.  I've gone through several, and they've *fought* about anything regarding warranty work tooth and nail, as if it's coming out of their pockets.  Really frustrating.

Yes, I do have a very good local dealer.  I just got my bike back last night for the clutch basket replacement under warranty, zero cost to me.

I'm not sure why some service managers fight to deny warranty claims, its my understanding that Yamaha leaves it up to their discretion to determine if a part and service is covered under warranty, Yamaha just approves the claim after it is submitted by the dealership for parts and labor reimbursement.  🤷‍♀️

• Thumbsup 2

IMO a big part of the difference between dealers is people.  Some dealers manage to attract and retain great folks.  When I look at what some of those folks make it’s no wonder - but I’ve run into bad folks in high paying positions also.  Some people are incredible judges of people and have a knack for hiring great people.  Kind of like the pro football coach who can take other folks rejects and make great players out of them.  

I’ve often thought some jobs would really be fun but I could make a lot more money doing what I did.  Just look at this forum and how many folks could be a great motorcycle tech but are doing something else that pays more.

Bought a new Chevy Bolt last January - because it was cheap - like less than half of list and I didnt trade anything in!  I’m looking like a genius now as it costs very little to drive.  LOL I could sell it today for a $10,000 profit.  Drove 100 miles to get it from a dealer who specialized in them.   Local folks didn’t care about selling or servicing them.  Same story for motorcycles.  Some dealers care and find a way to be a great dealer and others fall short and some miserably fail.

• Thumbsup 1

13 hours ago, PhotoAl said:

As a side note I’m in Sunnyvale CA for a month helping our son and wife with new baby.  No motorcycle and too much time but thought you folks in other states would like this

image.thumb.jpeg.40a7b312293ae8523f6b3ca6b4cdc99a.jpeg

Well in Europe prices are from about 6.50$ to 7.60$ in Italy.

Honda CB600F Hornet 2008; KTM LC4 640 SM Prestige 2007; Kawasaki Z1000 2007; Honda CB1000R 2010; BMW R1200GS 2010; Yamaha Tracer 900GT 2018; Yamaha TDM900 2002; Kawasaki KLX230 2020; KTM 690 Enduro R 2022: Bold = current

• 3 weeks later...

It happened.  Fuel pump from Yamaha arrived at dealer on 11/23.  Dealer installed and weather allowed me to pick it up yesterday.  Took little ride and all is good in my Tracer world again.  Yamaha extended warranty did cover the entire expense.  My invoice does not show what the cost would have been.  Off on a longer ride today.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 3