2019 Tracer 900 GT Won't start...help....

mferring

This is really strange. Got back in early August riding my Tracer for 5300 miles. It ran flawlessly. I have not used it since as I have been doing dirt bike riding.

Getting ready to ride tomorrow and tried to start up the bike...... all the lights came on, fuel pump spun up, in neutral on center stand, side stand up, display came up, engine turned over really fast......and absolutely did not start. Did not kick like it was attempting to start. Almost like there was no fuel.

Fuel tank 3/4 full. On Battery Tender since I returned so strong battery and engine turns over quickly.

Checked all the fuses. Especially Fuel injection, throttle valve, and ignition. All fuses looked good. Tested turn signals, lights, etc....all electronics seemed to work fine.

Not in gear with the side stand down. Kill switch is designed so it has to be off when using the starter. Etc....

Really strange as I had started it hundreds of times in June and July with no issue. Now nothing.

Any ideas what could have happened while just sitting in my shop?

Appreciate any help you can give. I don't have a lot of faith in my dealer in town to work on it, and the next closest Yamaha dealer is over 200 miles away (live in the mountains of southern NM).

5 hours ago, Pupsi said:

Try WOT for say 7 seconds to clear any flooding. If it still doesn't start, do another WTO after a couple of minutes.

That would help with flooding on a regular, carb or throttle bodied system, but with this bike when you twist throttle it turns a sensor which then tells the computer what you want. I don't think it would open the throttle butterflies to WOT in this situation.

• Thumbsup 1

Is it spinning FASTER than normal not sounding the same?

ARE you in the US using ethanol gas?

Did you just come off a 5400 mile trip?

This sounds like what happened to more then a few people on the ST1300 forum.  Long trip followed by an extended down time. 

The ethanol (sugar)  hardens on the valves and hold some open, stuck solid. No compression.

More than one ST1300 owner had the engine torn down only to find this.  Got to get some carb cleaner into the engine, whether spraying into air cleaner or removing TB's and spraying directly.

With some extended cranking and spraying it will loosen and bike will be fine.

Yep, used ethanol fuel the whole time as I would expect most people do.

Seems to crank at the same speed it always does so does not imply less compression...at least to my untrained ears.

Got back July 28th and did not try to start again until yesterday.

It would be surprising that ethanol would harden on the valves in such a short time. Otherwise wouldn't this be a much more common occurrence?

Many thanks for the suggestion though.

58 minutes ago, RandyN said:

That would help with flooding on a regular, carb or throttle bodied system, but with this bike when you twist throttle it turns a sensor which then tells the computer what you want. I don't think it would open the throttle butterflies to WOT in this situation.

It will open the throttle butterflies. This flooding is not uncommon on the Super Tenere, and the 'fly-by-wire' system is the same. Many members on the Super Tenere forum resort to WOT and in most cases it works.

• Thumbsup 2

This is so bizarre to me. I actually tried to hold the throttle open even though with a FI bike I did not expect anything. Well I will be damned.  I cranked it for 5-10 seconds with the battery tender hooked up and it began to make different noises (not like I usually hear when an engine is trying to start).....and I was blown away that it then fired up. Geez, I must not understand how this system works...big surprise.....

My guess is the wise peteinpa was actually right. Maybe some condensation of water from ethanol fuel and opening the throttle did somehow allow more fuel to get into the system and it worked.

Thanks for the attempts at help folks.

Now the big question is whether I can now depend on this bike as being a reliable starter. What do you  wise folks think? Maybe just make sure that I start it more often and should I put some stabilizer in the fuel?

• Thumbsup 1

I’ve had similar problem on more than couple occasions. (2017 FJ09). What I did? Turned the ignition key 2-3 times on and off and it fired up.

Edited by Rick123
  • Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member

Same here, '15 FJ.  Didn't start once at the pump so I primed as described by keying the ignition a couple of times.

• Thumbsup 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

5 hours ago, mferring said:

Yep, Pupsi, you were correct! I was very surprised but learned a very good lesson today. Don't think it was flooded though?

You guys in Malta know your stuff!

A leaky injector(s) can cause this issue right after you shut it down or the next time the pump pressurizes during the next start.  I had this same situation on a triumph Tiger 800.  Ran some redline fuel injection cleaner in a tank of gas and no more issue.

Edited by CRFan250