2019 Tracer 900 GT Won't start...help....

mferring

21 hours ago, ReSTored said:

My 2019 Tracer GT has failed to start properly on 2 or 3 occasions after stopping for gas.  Engines cranks but nothing. Solution was to turn key on and off and then it fired right up.

Hey that happened to me too (once, only had the bike less than 2 months) and inadvertently I turned the key off and then on a couple of times and it started. No idea of the root cause of this. Never had that issue with my BMW in the 6 years / 57k miles on it. Weird.

Regards, Grumpy Goat | 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT & 2016 BMW R1200RS

Last night rolled the 2020 Tracer GT out and gave it a good washing.  Needed it after a 6,200 mile bug reduction trip.  Went to start and it fired a couple of times and almost started then nothing.  Turned off and then on a couple of times.  Finally just let it crank and gave it some gas and it very reluctantly started.  At first would not idle but quickly got over that and then settled down.  Took it out for a short spin and it was fine.  

It a 2020 Tracer GT with 17,500 miles, bought new a year ago.  Last trip was ethanol and ethanol free gas when I could get it.

• 3 weeks later...

My 2020 Tracer 900GT didn't want to start on Friday morning. It had been sitting for about 5-6 days on a battery tender. It would crank but not fire. I tried turning the key on-off 3-4 times with no luck. I had a very strong fuel smell while trying to start it. I let it sit for 5-6 minutes and it started after I held the throttle wide open while cranking. Ran rough for a few seconds and then settled down to a nice idle. Rode it 383 miles that day, stopping multiple times and it never failed to start as usual?????

I was thinking that I might have possibly gotten some bad gas on my last trip, since I was in an area that had no 91 octane and I bought fuel at a "country store" out in the boonies.

Anyone else ever had issues running 89 octane?

2020 Tracer 900GT /1978 Suzuki GS750E /1978 Suzuki GS1000 /1982 Suzuki GS1100E /1999 Honda GL1500SE

• Supporting Member
5 hours ago, Suzukiguy said:

I was thinking that I might have possibly gotten some bad gas on my last trip, since I was in an area that had no 91 octane and I bought fuel at a "country store" out in the boonies.

Anyone else ever had issues running 89 octane?

If you had ‘bad gas’ it would have had issues for the entire tank, not just long enough to crank over. 

I primarily use 91 octane but have used 87 to 93 octane pending on what is available at the station I am at, no issues experienced on any octane. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Just wondering is everyone that has had problems, letting the electronics go through the full load up with the dash finishing its full sequence before cranking ? Over 6000 miles on my 2020 and not even a hiccup. I always wait for all the full load up before craning. Just a thought . Oh and I never run any ethanol ,Strictly  93 octane.

Mike

42 minutes ago, GTO MIKE said:

Just wondering is everyone that has had problems, letting the electronics go through the full load up with the dash finishing its full sequence before cranking ? Over 6000 miles on my 2020 and not even a hiccup. I always wait for all the full load up before craning. Just a thought . Oh and I never run any ethanol ,Strictly  93 octane.

Mike

I too let it run through its full "POST" (power on self test, to use a computing term) and start it after the rpm bar returns back to zero. I always use "mid-grade" which in these parts is 89 AKI and of all the tanks I ran though it since I had it, I did have what I supposed was one "bad tank", and immediately upon filling it with that tank of gas it failed to starts, right at the pump after filling up. Tried a couple different things, not knowing what to make of it, but not the WOT approach as I was not aware of that at the time. Eventually it started and never had a start like that since, BUT the engine seems to be pinging slightly at time when running through that tank. I filled up with Supreme (93 AKI) in the tank after that and put in some fuel injector cleaner and the issue has not recurred, even after I reverted to 89 AKI. I run 89 AKI because if it is good enough for the BMW it damn sure better be good enough for this bike.

Makes little sense that the immediate hard start after filling up with the crappy gas, would be attributable to it, but I have no other explanation. Then there was the pinging.

With my BMW and its over 57k miles I have never had this issue, and I have often run 87 AKI through that bike when on tour and just burning up the miles. It takes all grades in stride. And all gasoline in these parts are ethanol blends.

Regards, Grumpy Goat | 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT & 2016 BMW R1200RS

3 hours ago, Grumpy Goat said:

Makes little sense that the immediate hard start after filling up with the crappy gas,

Correct, in fact it would take a bit for that new gas to even get in the fuel line since there's no return line anyhow. So no, nothing related.

15 hours ago, GTO MIKE said:

Mike

Never waited for the “POST” to end, just turn the key and start. Between keyturn and start, the fuel pump had enough time to do its cycle, I am not that fast 😉.
And only use ethanol free gas in the winter, as the bike might stay a bit longer without running. Normally I run E10 for all the last 15000+ km’s.

I think we have a few things going on here when this happens.

"Bad gas" usually means you got some water at the fill-up.  This goes right to the bottom of your tank and is the first thing the fuel pump picks up.

If you have a vapor recovery tank like Cali. and I don't know about other countries, they cause starting problems.

If you have, just to pick a number, 20K miles or more on your bike, the throttle bodies can get dirty. this causes problems.

I'd say run an injector cleaner regularly, (always?) remove that vapor tank, let the fuel pump run till you start it every time, use E0 gas whenever possible,  and you should have this problem kicked.

1 hour ago, Fleng said:

Never waited for the “POST” to end, just turn the key and start. Between keyturn and start, the fuel pump had enough time to do its cycle, I am not that fast 😉.

Same.  It only takes a very short period of time for the ECU to boot up.  The display takes a lot longer, no need to wait.  Same applies to industrial controllers with a separate control/display panel.

3 minutes ago, Skidood said:

Same applies to industrial controllers with a separate control/display panel.

I always allow a 5 second delay before starting any HMI. Seems to make life easier.

• Thumbsup 1

• 4 weeks later...

Looked up fuel pump issues on forum and this came up.  Just had new RSIV Dunlops put on and chain/sprocket by my dealer, rode home, parked and was so ready to ride.  Two days later, got on it to ride and the above issue of no firing up when I cranked it.  Tried most of these remedies (key, WOT, fuse check, etc.) with no success. I use ethanol free gas as well,  Finally got service appointment at dealer.  Yesterday they tell me it is a bad fuel pump.  Dealer said Yamaha does not have any fuel pumps and they will try to see if any dealers have any.  They said $750+ for repair/parts.  I took out extra Yamaha warranty and should be covered.  Doesn't help if they have no parts.  Waiting to hear next week if the find a fuel pump. Very frustrated with this problem.  Fortunately, I have another bike to ride for mind clearing, however, the Tracer is my favorite.  Just turned 21,000 miles. Thought others might like to know fuel pumps to go out.....if this dealer is correct.