Does this come out of the handlebars?

jamespz03

Went to get new tires and asked them to help me get bar end weights as my hands buzz for a few minutes after a long ride. They think this doesn't come out, which will make it hard to find barends. I figured I would ask the pros.

This is the result of removing handguards, then removing that bolt that held them in place. And just to be crystal clear, I'm talking about the hexagon black piece.

Thanks!

!IMG_4660.thumb.jpg.11e49111700a5d0c392ca63aa8020a4a.jpg

Be careful fitting the bar ends if you have heated grips on the bike, the removable inserts you have pictured are a slightly different shape where they touch the end of the handle bars on the throttle side. with the heated grips on the thermal expansion when they get hot may stop the throttle spring from returning the throttle grip.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Confused 1

• Premium Member
50 minutes ago, HGP61 said:

Be careful fitting the bar ends if you have heated grips on the bike, the removable inserts you have pictured are a slightly different shape where they touch the end of the handle bars on the throttle side. with the heated grips on the thermal expansion when they get hot may stop the throttle spring from returning the throttle grip.

I use OE FZ09 bar ends in the summer with no issue - but my grip heaters only get used when the hand guards are mounted. 

Yes, these come out using that hex, but why?

Leave them in and use the threads (they're 8mm, IIRC) to mount up bar end weights. You might have to buy bolts, spacers, washers, etc. to get everything to work, but it's a far more secure and solid mounting than the crappy rubber on most bar ends.

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member

Hi @jamespz03 - Those threaded inserts definitely do come out, and it will give you a lot more options for bar end weights.   The handlebar itself is also threaded, and it matches the threads on the Yamaha factory bar end weights from an FZ-9.   They're cheap, heavy, and work well.  

I assume you're removing the hand guards completely, correct?   If you want to retain the factory hand guards, that insert will be required.  That said, I much prefer my FJ without the factory batwings...

• Thumbsup 4

3 hours ago, bwringer said:

Leave them in and use the threads (they're 8mm, IIRC) to mount up bar end weights

I think the internal thread on the handle bar end is 14mm I've recently ordered a set of bar ends that should screw straight in but may need to space out the right hand end to clear the heated grip. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
6 hours ago, HGP61 said:

Bar end weights don't interfere with the heated grip rotation in any way.  As soon as I bought the bike I got rid of the factory hand guards and installed the oem heated grips and FZ1 bar end weights.  Of course you can move the throttle tube, control cluster and brake/mirror mount inboard or outboard on the bar to make everything fit correctly.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

8 hours ago, jamespz03 said:

Went to get new tires and asked them to help me get bar end weights as my hands buzz for a few minutes after a long ride. They think this doesn't come out, which will make it hard to find barends. I figured I would ask the pros.

This is the result of removing handguards, then removing that bolt that held them in place. And just to be crystal clear, I'm talking about the hexagon black piece.

Thanks!

!IMG_4660.thumb.jpg.11e49111700a5d0c392ca63aa8020a4a.jpg

I added a set of bar ends I had hanging around from my FZ1 gen1 that fit perfectly with no modifications to the actual handlebars. I had to remove the hand guards to fit but the bar ends made a huge difference IMO to dampen the buzz. 

• Thumbsup 3

7 hours ago, texscottyd said:

Hi @jamespz03 - Those threaded inserts definitely do come out, and it will give you a lot more options for bar end weights.   The handlebar itself is also threaded, and it matches the threads on the Yamaha factory bar end weights from an FZ-9.   They're cheap, heavy, and work well.  

I assume you're removing the hand guards completely, correct?   If you want to retain the factory hand guards, that insert will be required.  That said, I much prefer my FJ without the factory batwings...

I use the 2015 FZ09 bar ends myself. 15 bucks each as I remember. 

• Thumbsup 1

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

11 hours ago, texscottyd said:

You are correct. The guards have been off for some time and will stay off for now. So is it safe to say, that since you have an FJ and the FZ barends fit, I should look for MT-09 barends since I have a GT? And thanks.

• Thumbsup 1

11 hours ago, bwringer said:

Yes, these come out using that hex, but why?

Leave them in and use the threads (they're 8mm, IIRC) to mount up bar end weights. You might have to buy bolts, spacers, washers, etc. to get everything to work, but it's a far more secure and solid mounting than the crappy rubber on most bar ends.

Thanks. I wasn't sure what I could or couldn't do depending on whether that came out. 🙂

• Supporting Member
11 hours ago, jamespz03 said:

So is it safe to say, that since you have an FJ and the FZ barends fit, I should look for MT-09 barends since I have a GT?

Looks to be the identical part number from a 2015 FZ09 or a 2019 MT09:   5GJ-26246-00-00

https://www.partzilla.com/product/yamaha/5GJ-26246-00-00

It looks like it's used across a wide range of various Yamaha models...  cost control and manufacturing efficiency. 

• Thumbsup 2