ABS light comes on while riding

On my last few rides the ABS light will come on after a while. If I stop and restart the bike it goes away for awhile then comes on again after some time. Both tires have the correct air pressure. When the light is on the ABS doesn't work. Any suggestions?

• Supporting Member
34 minutes ago, Mattf said:

On my last few rides the ABS light will come on after a while. If I stop and restart the bike it goes away for awhile then comes on again after some time. Both tires have the correct air pressure. When the light is on the ABS doesn't work. Any suggestions?

Prior to this issue starting, was there any changes or maintenance done to the bike?  Were the wheels removed? 

The first thing I would do is unscrew the ABS wheel sensors and inspect the surface of the sensor.  Clean each sensor and re-seat them fully, then rotate the wheels and inspect the ABS ring for any damage or deformation. 

• Thumbsup 3

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I’ve had this exact issue multiple times over the last riding season and haven’t gotten around to tracking it down yet. Sensors and encoder rings are fine. 

do you have a Speedo healer installed?

i suspect a dirty electrical connection someplace that’s intermittently losing contact. I’ll keep you posted if I find anything on my bike, but that’s where I’d start after verifying sensors and rings as suggested above. 

(After re-reading this, I guess that’s not a lot of help… but at least you know someone else has had the same issue. )

-Skip

Edited by skipperT
  • Thumbsup 1

I've not had that issue but has to be something in the sensors.  Would go back and check sensors and rings as others suggest and also check sensor ring gap - distance between sensor and sensor ring.  Could be one of the sensors is on the borderline of too far away.  Next make sure the electrical connections are in good condition.  It is possible it may be a sensor or could even be a different malfunction.  

Not are but might be able to pick up the error code from the bus with a code reader.  If so that will give you good insight into the type or error and even if it is front or rear.  I'm basing this idea on my knowledge of code readers and cars that break a lot - VWs.

In cars, this is most often an issue in the wiring to the sensor, or perhaps the connector. They're pretty vulnerable.

On motorcycles, I've found something stuck to the sensor magnet a few times, and things like failing bearings or improper installation can make the wheel wobble and/or damage things.

It's also pretty common to accidentally yank the wire when removing or installing a wheel, and it'll start getting intermittent.

The Tube of You has plenty of info on testing these sensors with a meter. Finding an intermittent might be tough, but it's a place to start; flex and gently pull the wire while you're testing and you might be able to get it to misbehave.

On the plus side, these sensors aren't too horrifically expensive; about $65 for the front and $90 for the rear in the US.

I'm not familiar enough with the 2020 to say, but you may be able to pull a code to help lead you to which end of the bike has the problem. Some cars just have a generic code, but many will tell you which sensor signal is missing or not making sense.

• Thumbsup 2

My BMW F800GT had a catastrophic rear wheel bearing failure, rear wheel wobbled a bit but fortunately not for long.  The tip of the sensor was ground a bit but just shaved a tiny bit of plastic off - I got lucky.  LOL that was an adventure I now back on fondly.

When changing wheels I always pull the sensor - just one bolt and easy to do just to keep from having a problem.

• Thumbsup 1

• 5 months later...

Its not just the light  but the abs is off,,next time light comes on test the rear brake ,,it will lock up 

Mine starting doing it after I changed the rear tire ,,my FZ07 did the same thing 

Edited by Bill H