No more production of Nikens?

maximNikenGT

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, Ferrett847 said:

There will be another niken .It will either be just a euro 5 motor transplant from the new mt/tracer models or it will have ,tft,better screen ,spun wheels for less weight ( taken from mt09 ),mt09 exhaust,other weight saving measures,new colours .There will only be a gt model .Tracer gt luggage set up .

Is there any fact to this or just wishful thinking?

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

My dealer told me a month or two ago that we would probably be able to order Nikens at cost. I don't quite remember if that came from Japan for from the European importer but I think the former.

He was thinking aloud that he might get one because they are such great value but probably shouldn't as there is no demand to sell it later on.

I agree that it would be a shame to see it go. I've only ever seen one on the road just the one time.

I made my comments based upon info provided to myself from a industry source ,that states yes there will be another niken and it will be the euro 5 spec motor and a general refresh .If however it does not happen ,I will just have to keep mine going until I pack up riding .

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, Ferrett847 said:

I made my comments based upon info provided to myself from a industry source ,that states yes there will be another niken and it will be the euro 5 spec motor and a general refresh .If however it does not happen...

...then you promise to reveal the name of your 'industry source'. Yes? 🤨

• Like 2

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• 2 months later...
  • Supporting Member

Connecting the thread from another user post indicating that their local Yamaha dealer indicated that the only reason they  shipped  so few Nikens to the US was to secure the patent on Leaning Motor Wheel (LMW) technology.

Anyone knowledgeable in patent law can comment on this?

Because if this is true, that suggests to me  that Yamaha used the Niken as a halo project to really be the initial cornerstone for invasion of smaller displacement Yamaha Tricities and future Yamaha  models that leverage the LMW front end technology.  

2019 Niken GT
"Motorcycles - the brand is not important, the fact that you ride is."

• 1 month later...
  • Supporting Member

Well well well. Cycle World dropped this article in Feb 2022 suggesting  that Nikens will continue into 2023 with the new EU emissions compliant engine...

https://www.cycleworld.com/story/motorcycle-news/yamaha-reveals-2022-yzf-r9-niken-models-new-documents/?fbclid=IwAR291RiXlnMqfU7wmPIwrd3CukHJYH7kLUICrGGA6GnlE-qv15m118v3s3k

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

2019 Niken GT

• 5 weeks later...
  • Supporting Member
On 1/19/2022 at 7:02 PM, Heli ATP said:

I hope you are right, do you have a source for that or just saying? I think they would want to keep up support for the Tour De France with the Niken, good PR. Wish I could find a new one here in the US. 

Cycle world article suggests that a 2023 Euro5 compliant version of the Niken should be incoming. https://www.cycleworld.com/story/motorcycle-news/yamaha-reveals-2022-yzf-r9-niken-models-new-documents/

• Thumbsup 1

2019 Niken GT

• 3 weeks later...
  • Supporting Member

Stumbled across this on the Yamaha Japan site where it looks like one can still order 2022 Nikens up until the production limit is reached. 

NIKEN GT - バイク・スクーター | ヤマハ発動機 (yamaha-motor.co.jp)

75CC706A-1B25-47CE-A112-A37AB5796B53.jpeg

2019 Niken GT