Potential future Tracer owner with some questions ;)

Hi everyone and thank you for your time

Can someone list the key differences between a 2019 tracer 900GT and a 2020-22 version?
 I am looking for something ligther than my VFR1200F and am stuck between the VFR 800x and the tracer, however paying full price for a new model is not within my budget. There are plenty of low milage 2019 tracer 900GT's available, any advice on this generation versus the newest gen? Is it worth looking at or should i keep saving up for a 2022 model? 

Hi Sunde

Where are you located? It would help to know when answering your questions.

I'm guessing the UK or EU (maybe AUS) as we never did get the VFR800x here in North America.

Also, here in NA the 2020 model is the same as the 2018 & 2019. The Tracer 9 was a 2021 (and now 2022) model.

I've had both a 2019 GT and a 2021 T9 GT so I can likely help answer some questions.

Rob 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Rob, correct i am EU based (Denmark) 
 Thank you so much for replying
Well my issue is that i was trying to find something lighter and more mangeable (and cheaper) than my VFR 1200F
However now seeing the level of features and generel spec of the newer gen Tracer 900 i am somewhat ready to pay extra just to try it... 
 I have since my post (a few hours ago) changed my mind and am now looking at a newer 2021 Tracer 900 (non GT) 0 miles
and i cant seem to understand what i am giving up on by not going for the GT (except panniers) but they can still be bought separatly right? Any difference between 2021 and 2022 models?
 Is the electronics package the same?  Attached a pic of the beauty i am looking at
2021-yamaha-tracer-9-mcimg-org_1600_221955_C61J_1629375406.thumb.jpeg.c0dc5c16e4bda0b51aa70fa49fc1edf6.jpeg

• Thumbsup 1

Ah - the Tech Camo - very nice choice.

Yes, the panniers or side cases can be bought separately - but keep in mind you will need to buy the mounting kit/brackets as well - and that can get expensive. You might work out a deal at purchase for them. Not to say that the Yamaha bags are the only option out there...  

I'll have to go back through the spec sheet to refresh my memory on what you get with GT over the non as it's changed since the previous model and the non-GT isn't even available here in Canada for 2021-22 so I didn't have to contemplate it. For example, heated grips used to come on the GT only - now I think they come standard on both models.

I will say though that the semi-active suspension is awesome. It just works.

As far as I know, there is absolutely nothing new with the 2022 model - I'm not even sure that given the pandemic and delivery delays etc. that Yamaha has released new colour schemes for 2022...I think it's basically the same bikes with a 2022 badge.

Rob

Ah yes the suspension ofc!
Thats why the GT is likely much more pricy
Here is a pic of the handlebars of the one i am looking at, dont know if it tells you anything about features
hmm i do like the sound of automatic suspension, but that may be out of budget for me im afraid, i think i am more inclined to go down the path of upgrading the non adjustable suspension later on.
Again thank you for your time

2021-yamaha-tracer-9-mcimg-org_1600_221955_B6U2_1629375448.jpeg

Edited by Sunde

Differences between GT and non-GT apart from the electronic suspension and panniers: 

GT comes with up and down quick shifter (and it works extremely well).

Heated grips are still only included with the GT model.

The GT has a nicer seat with a stitched suede-like covering, while the non-GT just has the sort of classic cheap vinyl cover.  Whether seat padding is actually different or this is purely a difference in cover material - I do not know.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

Not sure if it is important to you but the new 2021 Tracer is Euro 5 compliant where the 2020 isn’t. To achieve this Yamaha increased the capacity from 847cc to 889cc and the horsepower increases marginally, though in the real world you wouldn’t notice. There is a risk that European governments will implement Euro 5 only areas in cities which would be a PITA as Yamaha and bike dealers have always said that the 2019-20 models could easily meet Euro 5 standards but were never certified as it wasn’t an industry requirement.

3 hours ago, Sunde said:

The quick shifter can be bought for the non GT aswell right?

Yes that appears to be the case: https://www.yamaha-motor.eu/gb/en/products/motorcycles/sport-touring/tracer-9/accessories/quick-shifter-kit-for-tracer-9/b5u-181a0-01-00/#/

A little pricey for what is basically a 3 position switch since the computer does all the work, however I guess they're basically bundling in some of the R&D cost there.

4 minutes ago, stevesweetz said:

Yes that appears to be the case: https://www.yamaha-motor.eu/gb/en/products/motorcycles/sport-touring/tracer-9/accessories/quick-shifter-kit-for-tracer-9/b5u-181a0-01-00/#/

A little pricey for what is basically a 3 position switch since the computer does all the work, however I guess they're basically bundling in some of the R&D cost there.

Yee thought the same, but the fact that i can buy the bike and then little by little get it equipped with many of the GT's features speaks to me. 
 I'll have a look come next week what kind of deal i can get done trading in my VFR. 
Will not pick up the bike before march regardless as thats when my insurance is gonna be active, obviously i'll post pictures in here if i make the trade!
You have all been very helpful, thank you so much and hope to join you guys in the future ;)

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
40 minutes ago, rlambke19 said:

My bad - for some reason I thought they came with both versions for 2021/22. I have to say I do really enjoy having them.

At least here in the U.S., we only get the GT version and only get the red or silver with blue wheels, no tech camo. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

A couple of differences between the 2019/2020 and the 2021/2022 are:  Longer swingarm and the engine positioned to put more weight on the front, stronger rear subframe.  Not sure if they still say you cannot have sidecases and a top case with the 2021/2022.  I know for previous ones they did say you could not but many folks including myself do.  When running with the sidecases and top case I never load the top case - it's there for helmet storage during stops.  I do not ride with a pillion, on trips the duffle bag goes on the pillion seat.  

In general the 2021/2022 is more polished than the previous generation.  Most of the issues that people complain about and fix have been addressed in the new version.  

I thought seriously about buying the non-GT and upgrading with sidecases, heated grips etc.  Was going to trade after a long trip in 2020 but my bike broke down a long way from home, I found a 2020 Tracer GT nearby (250 mies away), fixed my bike and rode and traded mid trip.

Edited by PhotoAl
  • Thumbsup 2
  • Haha 2

I went down the non-GT route when I traded up three years ago. but the main reason (apart from the price difference of going second hand) was the panniers on the GT at that time were only 22L each and I felt they were too small for my touring needs. That dosen't apply for the new tracer 9 because Yamaha have made them a more useful size. I tweeked with the standard suspension until it worked for me and fitted yamaha heated grips. The only thing I hanker after is cruise control but the new Tracer 9 comes with that as standard. If I was in the market for trading up I would probably go for the non-GT tracer 9 but fit My SHAD panniers to it.

• Thumbsup 1

6 hours ago, HGP61 said:

I went down the non-GT route when I traded up three years ago. but the main reason (apart from the price difference of going second hand) was the panniers on the GT at that time were only 22L each and I felt they were too small for my touring needs. That dosen't apply for the new tracer 9 because Yamaha have made them a more useful size. I tweeked with the standard suspension until it worked for me and fitted yamaha heated grips. The only thing I hanker after is cruise control but the new Tracer 9 comes with that as standard. If I was in the market for trading up I would probably go for the non-GT tracer 9 but fit My SHAD panniers to it.

That's what it was! Cruise control (and not heated grips) is now standard on both GT and non-GT models! I knew there was something that now came standard that never used to. Thanks @HGP61! 🙂