Potential future Tracer owner with some questions ;)

Got it home, trade went smooth.
 So far have installed and toned screen (can still see through tho) dashboard protection, tank grips and a rad guard. And on top of that i have ceramic coated basically everything, should make it easy to maintain for a while. I'll probably adjust the handlebares a bit forward as i feel them a bit close, other than that i wont mess with it untill i have ridden it and seen if i want anything else done.

The quality and fit/finish is really good as far as i can tell, i am SUPER stoked to go for a ride in a few weeks time :)

Some terrible pics from my basement.

1279229713_22.thumb.jpg.0aabbc98a17bfd300f38999cee9d047a.jpg
681770367_33.thumb.jpg.349f5a167b0299c789829eb5799eef34.jpg

Edited by Sunde
  • Thumbsup 4
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Sunde said:

Got it home, trade went smooth.
 So far have installed and toned screen (can still see through tho) dashboard protection, tank grips and a rad guard. And on top of that i have ceramic coated basically everything, should make it easy to maintain for a while. I'll probably adjust the handlebares a bit forward as i feel them a bit close, other than that i wont mess with it untill i have ridden it and seen if i want anything else done.

The quality and fit/finish is really good as far as i can tell, i am SUPER stoked to go for a ride in a few weeks time :)

Some terrible pics from my basement.

1279229713_22.thumb.jpg.0aabbc98a17bfd300f38999cee9d047a.jpg
681770367_33.thumb.jpg.349f5a167b0299c789829eb5799eef34.jpg

Very nice!

Which dash protector did you go with? I have the Speedo Angels one, but it's 8 pieces and honestly - I haven't out it on yet as it looks like a nightmare.

Rob 

43 minutes ago, rlambke19 said:

Very nice!

Which dash protector did you go with? I have the Speedo Angels one, but it's 8 pieces and honestly - I haven't out it on yet as it looks like a nightmare.

Rob 

Hi Rob, i bought one from Eazi Grip its a pretty good kit honestly, 4 pieces (1 pr screen) Fitting is a little time consuming, but very doable.

• Thumbsup 1

3 hours ago, vic said:

Hi Sunde

i see you have a tank bag ring on the bike.  Which type is it?

Enjoy the bike. I’m expecting to pick mine up in March  

Vic

Hi Vic, The brand is SW motech
Really good bag and fitting is easy (if you own the 2021 T9 make sure you get the riser kit)
if not just follow the websites listing. 

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, vic said:

Hi Sunde

i see you have a tank bag ring on the bike.  Which type is it?

Enjoy the bike. I’m expecting to pick mine up in March  

Vic

It's gonna be well worth the wait. Fantastic bike IMO.

That's a nice bike,Sunde. 👍

• Thumbsup 1

2019 900 GT, 1969 Honda S90

20 hours ago, Sunde said:

Hi Rob, i bought one from Eazi Grip its a pretty good kit honestly, 4 pieces (1 pr screen) Fitting is a little time consuming, but very doable.

Cool. I actually ordered those as well. Might try to fit them in the spring!

• Thumbsup 1

Quick side question as i am getting to know the bike

I'v noticed that there only is a rebound adjuster on the top right suspension, there is no adjuster on the left fork. 
This is mysterious to me, i'v never had a bike that had uneven adjustment. Is this just how it is? 

Obviously its different on the GT Spec

Edited by Sunde

Nice ride!  Btw  the best tank bag ever has to be the Shad E04P!  Proprietary fastener that holds bag 1/4 inch above tank. Genius engineering. No "ring", just some pins that screw in and replace oem bolts around gas filler.  Spring loaded pull release.  Love it.

Edited by Garz747
  • Thumbsup 1

Buy the ‘21-‘22, you’ll like it!

I came off an FJR1300 and got a red ‘21 GT purchased June 2021, last one my dealer had he only got 3. Added the factory trunk (took 7 months), rack (took 3 months), and touring windshield (took 4 months). Also an EvoTech radiator guard, R&G dashboard screen protector, Woodcraft swing arm sliders/spools, and front fender & rear mudguard extenders. 

Since I have a 30” inseam and the Tracer is so tall I raised the forks 5 mm & added a Soupy’s lowering link in the rear. Much more comfortable & confident however it’s a bit too low (cat/muff box occasionally hits)-need to adjust it. The kickstand is a bit long (didn’t want to buy the nice alloy adjustable stand as I had on my FJR1300) and now it’s more effort to get on the centerstand-naturally. 

Waiting for some Sw-Motech engine guards to arrive, quote was 8 weeks lol!

The active suspension is…jury is out as of yet. So far, no real complaints except it would be nice if it had more than two settings.

Electronics in general are overwhelming especially since I’m 65 lol. And the dash font is sooo small, hard to read with my old eyes. Once you know where everything is it’s not un-tolerable.

Cruise control & heated grips are awesome, seat is not too horrible (also waiting for the factory touring seat - been 8 months).

Handlebars need more sweep for my liking, your results may vary.

Did the 600-mile service myself (15-yr retired Tech) and the throttle body synch wasn’t too horrible (1st time is always the hardest).

I really like the Tracer quick shifter it’s the bomb. I feel like a MotoGP rider banging gears-it backfires every shift!

AB547-A61-D254-4-BE5-85-FE-71137679-FF284-A181011-4-F93-47-B0-89-CD-08-C106-AEE216-F3-D27-E-386-B-4050-B2-B6-8-E6-D9-BCE0748-ACC1-6-EF8-4-B93-B563-E984-A0949-B7

• Thumbsup 3

4 hours ago, Smokamoto said:

Buy the ‘21-‘22, you’ll like it!

I came off an FJR1300 and got a red ‘21 GT purchased June 2021, last one my dealer had he only got 3. Added the factory trunk (took 7 months), rack (took 3 months), and touring windshield (took 4 months). Also an EvoTech radiator guard, R&G dashboard screen protector, Woodcraft swing arm sliders/spools, and front fender & rear mudguard extenders. 

Since I have a 30” inseam and the Tracer is so tall I raised the forks 5 mm & added a Soupy’s lowering link in the rear. Much more comfortable & confident however it’s a bit too low (cat/muff box occasionally hits)-need to adjust it. The kickstand is a bit long (didn’t want to buy the nice alloy adjustable stand as I had on my FJR1300) and now it’s more effort to get on the centerstand-naturally. 

Waiting for some Sw-Motech engine guards to arrive, quote was 8 weeks lol!

The active suspension is…jury is out as of yet. So far, no real complaints except it would be nice if it had more than two settings.

Electronics in general are overwhelming especially since I’m 65 lol. And the dash font is sooo small, hard to read with my old eyes. Once you know where everything is it’s not un-tolerable.

Cruise control & heated grips are awesome, seat is not too horrible (also waiting for the factory touring seat - been 8 months).

Handlebars need more sweep for my liking, your results may vary.

Did the 600-mile service myself (15-yr retired Tech) and the throttle body synch wasn’t too horrible (1st time is always the hardest).

I really like the Tracer quick shifter it’s the bomb. I feel like a MotoGP rider banging gears-it backfires every shift!

AB547-A61-D254-4-BE5-85-FE-71137679-FF284-A181011-4-F93-47-B0-89-CD-08-C106-AEE216-F3-D27-E-386-B-4050-B2-B6-8-E6-D9-BCE0748-ACC1-6-EF8-4-B93-B563-E984-A0949-B7

Very crisp bike, with all the right mods done as far as i can see!
I did end up buying the 2021 Tracer 9 (non GT) but specced up with almost all the GT parts :)
 Stoked for 1st of march when i can ride it !!

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, Sunde said:

I did end up buying the 2021 Tracer 9 (non GT) but specced up with almost all the GT parts :)
 Stoked for 1st of march when i can ride it !!

In the U.S. we don't get the standard bike, the GT is the ONLY choice we get so I know nothing about the base model. 

How much of a price difference was it for you to get the base bike and then add on the GT parts?  And if you added on most of the GT parts, what made you decide to buy the base model? were there features on the GT that you didn't like?

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

10 minutes ago, betoney said:

In the U.S. we don't get the standard bike, the GT is the ONLY choice we get so I know nothing about the base model. 

How much of a price difference was it for you to get the base bike and then add on the GT parts?  And if you added on most of the GT parts, what made you decide to buy the base model? were there features on the GT that you didn't like?

Availability and cash was the main factor.
 Also in my experience i can get a better ride by replacing parts of the suspension to fit my weight / style. Electronic (clever as it may be) does limit my ability to customise it, at least easily. 
+ It allowed me to buy the bike roughly 25% cheaper and then as i get funds i can add stuff like heated grips etc. :)

• Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
9 hours ago, Smokamoto said:

I haven't had the chance to test ride the bike but your point has me a little reluctant to consider the GT - at least for now.

Other Yamaha models with ES have many settings to fine tune the feel, I'm not sure why they removed that capability on the Tracer.  As someone who has put a lot of time and effort into adjusting my suspension to my liking, I'm not sure I would be happy with just hard and soft and no option to add (or subtract) +1 or +2 damping. 

I would rather they also offer an "SP" model with the Ohlins manual adjust suspension like the MT models.

I like a LOT of what the newest Tracer 9 offers but will wait to see what they offer on a future Gen IV before upgrading.

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***