O RING Chain coming apart

On 3/24/2022 at 4:52 PM, PhotoAl said:

Ummm, mine went at 11,000 miles - wish I'd taken it in.  as it was ln 10 months old at the time but I put quality components on it (DID 525 VX3).  

Make sure you get a rivet master link.  Last summer was hard to get anything so wind up with a clip master link and 2 extra links!  installed correctly and took a 6,400 mile trip.  Master link clip was on there at least 2/3s of the way as I checked.  Got home and no clip!  Got a replacement clip and put it on.  Looked the other day and replacement is MIA!  I had ordered a DVD 525VX3 rivet master link so now going to do it right and install the rivet master link. 

Installed a ScottOiler when the chain was installed, not perfect but keeps lube on the chain.

That's not typical, I've run more than a few street bikes with clip masters with no drama and so have friends, are you positive the clips were installed correctly? I prefer the screw on type master link you can get with EK, don't see myself personally ever going back to traditional rivet. 

• Thumbsup 2

I felt like they were and were facing in the correct direction.  Was surprised at the first coming off and then the second was again a surprise as I doublechecked it.  First did make it over 4,000 miles - really thought it was knocked off when I hit a waded up bunch of expansion joint silicon sealing cord.  Its something that I check a lot at first and after a while seems to be hanging in there but then it's gone!

Installing rivet master link.  Looked up the rivet flair dimensions for DID chains.  Here is the link to the specs for DID chains - rivet flair dimensions are at the bottom.

https://didchain.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/2020-Chain-Spec-Chart.pdf

Edited by PhotoAl

On 3/24/2022 at 11:26 AM, edgarjessop12 said:

WOW did not think this was still a problem, my chain o'rings dropped to pieces . On my 2019 900GT .

I got in touch with Yamaha and they said yes we have had a bad batch from D.I.D. chains.

We are replacing them F.O.C. Some bikes had only done 4000 miles and the chain was crap.

Mine had done 14000 miles and they sad sorry to many miles.

Cannot believe there is still bad chains 3 years later.

Cheers Edgar Jessop

Yeah its annoying for sure ,,,I would be fine with 14 K ,,mines around 9K miles 

A recall would have been cool but they figure by the time they blow up the bike will be out of warrenty 

The OEM chain/sprockets on my ‘19 Tracer GT were replaced at 15,400 miles with a new 525 Primary Drive o ring chain and a set of JT steel sprockets …… it looks and feels great with just about 5000 miles of use since the change out.  The OEM rear sprocket showed almost no wear and was kept as a spare.  The sprockets are the same part numbers for my Tenere 700👍 

FYI….my original chain did not lose any o rings but was beginning to kink and develop tight spots when it was replaced.

Edited by whisperquiet

49 minutes ago, whisperquiet said:

The OEM chain/sprockets on my ‘19 Tracer GT were replaced at 15,400 miles with a new 525 Primary Drive o ring chain and a set of JT steel sprockets …… it looks and feels great with just about 5000 miles of use since the change out.  The OEM rear sprocket showed almost no wear and was kept as a spare.  The sprockets are the same part numbers for my Tenere 700👍 

FYI….my original chain did not lose any o rings but was beginning to kink and develop tight spots when it was replaced.

Loving the shared parts between my Tracer and T7 too, that's really handy.

But to jump on this:

My 2018 MT07 stock chain was pants as well, orings falling apart in about 10000kms/6000miles.  My 2019 Tracer 900GT's chain lasted till I want to say 13k, where it was getting stretchy and stiff.  While I'm hard on chains with winter riding, they're always kept well cleaned and lubed.  Stock sprockets where fairly lackluster on both as well.

I don't think it was a bad batch so much as DID likely bid low on providing chains for Yamaha bikes, won the contract, then just shipped cheap ass chains.  Kind of the same as how stock tires are *never* as good as the same tire bought aftermarket, often with measurably less tread. 

Three modern Yamahas in and I've definitely come to the conclusion that you really want to just use the stock chains and sprockets long enough to determine what gearing changes you might want to make then pick out a good set.

I'm curious how long the T7's chain will last, personally.  I've already decided on dropping a front tooth when I do change it, as it currently tractors at 11kph and I'd like to nudge that down and it's already fun torque up.  

• Thumbsup 2

2 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

Loving the shared parts between my Tracer and T7 too, that's really handy.

But to jump on this:

My 2018 MT07 stock chain was pants as well, orings falling apart in about 10000kms/6000miles.  My 2019 Tracer 900GT's chain lasted till I want to say 13k, where it was getting stretchy and stiff.  While I'm hard on chains with winter riding, they're always kept well cleaned and lubed.  Stock sprockets where fairly lackluster on both as well.

I don't think it was a bad batch so much as DID likely bid low on providing chains for Yamaha bikes, won the contract, then just shipped cheap ass chains.  Kind of the same as how stock tires are *never* as good as the same tire bought aftermarket, often with measurably less tread. 

Three modern Yamahas in and I've definitely come to the conclusion that you really want to just use the stock chains and sprockets long enough to determine what gearing changes you might want to make then pick out a good set.

I'm curious how long the T7's chain will last, personally.  I've already decided on dropping a front tooth when I do change it, as it currently tractors at 11kph and I'd like to nudge that down and it's already fun torque up.  

My OEM T7 chain and sprockets are in great shape at 16,400 miles.  I have new set of J T sprockets and a J T 525 x ring chain on the shelf👍

• Thumbsup 1

4 hours ago, peteinpa said:

Hey I know it's not major miles but I only got the bike Sept. 9 2020 with less than 1k miles used.

You bought it 5 days after I bought my 2020 Tracer 900 GT but now it has gone from 0 miles to 19,000 miles since then.  🙂  Of course in PA the winters are long and can't ride.  Just having a bit of fun and glad to see you enjoying your 15.  Seems like the 15s had better chains than the 2019 and 2020 Tracers.  Mine would have gone longer but was getting stiff links and I was about to head out on a long trip so changed it out.  I did not take great care of the chain as many miles on it were long trips and I did not do a good job of keeping it lubed and rode in various conditions with some dusty miles and some rain as well.  

On 3/24/2022 at 9:04 PM, PhotoAl said:

Guess he still had to original tires on there as well 🙂    

Close; rear was somewhat new following an unfixable puncture, but the front was completely beyond shagged.

• 9 months later...

So people have used the screw type master link with no problems? I did the rivet once, didn't feel too comfortable with it but got it done. Would like to use the screw type link but just wanted to make sure its ok for these bikes. thanks.

4 hours ago, brewhaha said:

So people have used the screw type master link with no problems?

It's probably ill-advised to use anything but a proper master-link.

I am about to do the 16K Service on my 2020 900 GT, my chain is still in amazingly decent shape. O-rings are perfect, sprocket teeth are fine - I must have gotten a good DID that build day!  I am fairly religious about a WD-40 cleaning followed by a coating of Mobil One 75w-90 gear oil. The chain is not really babied, either; that 16K was a lot of two-up touring, loaded with gear.

• Thumbsup 1

Same Same here.  21 T9GT.  14,700 miles.  Original DID chain and sprockets still in terrific shape.  I just put new tires on it and got up close to the chain, measured the 15 link stretch, and it is still good.  Runs quiet.  I have a new DID chain and oem sprockets sitting on the shelf, and I really expected to need to install them at the same time I did the tires.  But I see no reason.  Started out new using gear oil, and switched over to DuPont Chain Saver at 8k miles.  Wonder if I can make 20k?

• Thumbsup 1

On 1/16/2023 at 8:37 AM, brewhaha said:

So people have used the screw type master link with no problems? I did the rivet once, didn't feel too comfortable with it but got it done. Would like to use the screw type link but just wanted to make sure its ok for these bikes. thanks.

ABSOLUTELY, they are all I use now and work just like and as well as a rivet master.

• Thumbsup 1